Chapter 47

Once the tale of Ramayana had ended, loud applause erupted from the audience. The fire dimmed and the orchestra changed to soft melodies. Everyone else carried on their activities in the enclosed field. Others lingered around the circus and fair market.

A maid came and dropped the blind made of bamboo plaits before exiting the hall again. It must be on Amarisa's unspoken request or that they knew we might need some private atmosphere.

I turned to Amarisa again and smiled. How lovely her face was to me. Her eyes still twinkled with a deep dark glow, still wracked with emotions. Her cheeks as fair and brows as arched, but those lips — I had seen nothing to equal that.

Everything about her was distracting and maddening to my love-infested heart. I had never before encountered a maiden who could send such a lure upon my mind.

Amarisa then became conscious of my stare. She turned to me with eyes that no longer glared at me in disdain.

"Amarisa, you're so very beautiful," I said in a whisper.

The princess let her impossibly long lashes shadow her eyes. The rosiness of her cheeks deepened. The temptation that had enveloped me like a chill of the night sky did not die.

"I could say the very same thing to you," she murmured.

Soon, all my resolve fell back like a defeated battalion. I quietly hopped over the enormous snoring tiger and went after the desire of my heart. I kneeled down behind the fair princess and clasped her in my arms.

Amarisa was taken completely by surprise, but she yielded to my sheer passion. She turned her face to me. When her too tempting mouth was so close and those pink plump lips began to part, I captured them in mine. Amarisa sank into me. An ecstatic moan echoed deep in her throat.

Part of me just wanted to cuddle her and chit chat like a pair of lovers, but another part of me wanted to make her moan until her lungs give out. I wanted her so badly, my entire body trembled.

The throbbing sensation below my belt became more pronounced. My hands wandered down her perfect torso, feeling around her flat exposed stomach. I heard Amarisa gasped sharply. Her fine skin underneath my wandering hand was driving me mad.

"Nikita..." Amarisa tried to warn softly.

"I'm sorry. Please forgive me," I whispered as we pulled apart again. "I should have asked, but I have too weak a mind that so often betrays my conscience. I didn't mean to be needy, but I'm too deeply in love with you, dearest princess, in all sincerity."

Amarisa stared into my eyes with the same stirring passion. Her cheeks radiated heat against mine as our foreheads touched.

"I understand your struggles, Nikita, for I, too, feel the ache within me," Amarisa said softly. "I had never felt this way before, and it terrifies me. Surely, we love each other like Rama and Sita, and it needs not to be said. But this shall go no further, lest people would see and gossips would grow."

I nodded and loosened my hold around the radiant maiden. I sat beside her as she curled herself up into me.

"Never have I been so passionately enamored with anyone until you," she said again. Her arms wrapped around my waist as she leaned her head against my chest with a sigh. "I believe it wasn't the mere poison of the god of love. It was you alone who stirred my passion."

"If I were wise and mighty as the other avatars, would that make you happier?" I asked.

Amarisa shook her head back.

"Whoever you may be, I am your willing lover and contented with my fortune. The earth may break asunder, yet I will never desert you for anyone."

I smiled and kissed her forehead as a gesture of gratitude.

"You may say so, but the others would judge you as foolish to have a love for me. Your parents, the Warrior King and Scholar Queen, wouldn't be equally pleased, would they?"

"Oh, why? Nikita, why bring this subject to distress us both?" Amarisa looked up at me with saddened eyes. "Confident as you are, why did your eager ravenous tongue choose to speak of others?"

"But it's true, isn't it? If I won the Holy Game and brought new fame, I would be regarded for more than just a simple stranger."

"You are always more and above all in my heart," Amarisa said but I shook my head.

"But would it be enough?" I said, "I won't let the princess of this land be shamed because of me."

"What demon has possessed you into this foolish thinking?—of fighting and proving your worth against the sons and daughters of the deathless gods — those, who are both mightier of power and beloved of heaven? If you won the Game, they would choose you to fight the war with them. I would and could not bear this thought in my mind!"

"But I'm here to fulfill the prophecy," I said. "If I couldn't save your empire, then what use would I be in this world? There must be a way to prove myself to all. The gods had brought me here, Amarisa, that means I have a role to play!"

"Have you forgotten, my love, about your promise already? You said you would never leave me! The Prophesied Child must meet an unforgiving fate!" Amarisa cried with tears welling up in her eyes as she looked at me. "Queen Mother Jayara has taken an unbreakable oath of chastity. She prayed for a savior. She did so, for seven days and seven nights. And here you are, a strange girl fallen from the sky. But dear Nikita, if only you knew, the ostensible aim of it all."

"What is it, Amarisa?"

"I can't say! I can't say!" Amarisa spoke in a distraught voice and shook her head. "But surely, I don't want to lose you to that cruel war. Promise me again, Nikita, that you won't be selfless to risk your life. Please, promise me, too, if you love me true, that you don't bring yourself near the Cursed Blade for it shall bring you to a horrible end."

"You meant the Moonsword?" I stared at her troubled face in confusion.

Amarisa squeezed her eyes shut and wrapped her arms around me again.

"Just promise me this, too, and you would have anything you ask of me," she pleaded. "Please say you do."

I didn't know what had gotten into my beloved princess. Why did she make me promise a lot of things as if she somehow knew half of the things I didn't. Amarisa was begging me and gripping me for a response. I had no choice but to nod and say, "Yes, I promise you." Yet the glaring doubts and unsettling questions still encircled my mind.