Chapter 81

At last the sun drew down, casting twilight over the treetops, where the varied assemblage of the sweet-singing birds rested. I was no longer able to wait and must rise again. Kesar pleaded with me to stay, but time folded in on itself, closing over me and burying me. Just before I reached suffocation, Vorac and Atith arrived.

"The Queen is conscious and asking for you," Vorac spoke first.

My eyes widened. I did not know my mother had been in the state of heavy slumber all this time. This had not lightened my heavy heart, and without another time wasted, we left together.

The Palace was eerily quiet and deprived of the usual enthralling songs. After the long walk through the endless halls and cruciforms, we reached a secluded ashram where the older Queen stayed.

Then we went inside the smaller hall towards a chamber. There I saw my mother. She was resting limply on the bed attended by palace women.

All the avatars were there. They sat in two opposite rows on the wooden floor. Tepi, Raksa, Tusita, Morokot, and Samudra on the left. Issarak and Ravi along with their friends on the right. The Aswin brothers had taken their place with the Guru and the Hora. We saw the King and his second wife sitting around the bed with the sleeping woman. Amarisa was among the royal members.

Vorac and Atith went to their reserved places. Everyone looked at me. Swallowing the lump in my throat, I went forward and knelt before the monarchs. Some palace maids put a soft rug for me to kneel on, but I ignored it.

"Please," I said. "Please, tell me how Queen Jayara is doing. Is she alright?"

At the sound of my voice, my mother slowly opened her eyes. She turned her head to me, and I wanted so much to rush to her side, but I refrained myself.

Then Queen Jayara made a movement of getting up, in which her husband quickly came to assist her.

I was shocked to see how frail she was. My mother's usual bun was undone, letting her long black lock flow down her thin shoulders. No more immaculate hair and clothing. The Queen tried to smile at me once she was properly in a seated position. My heart fell like a rock tumbling down the desert hill. The avatars were staring at me, but I didn't pay attention to any of them.

"How are you, mothe..." I stopped myself before I could say the word. "How are you, Your Majesty?"

Queen Jayara smiled weakly and shook her head back.

"Sweet child, I am glad to see you coming back all healthy and fine," she spoke in a low exhausted voice. "Don't you worry about me, dear one. The sickness of old age is expected and normal. It is nothing to fear."

I briefly glanced around as if to seek for confirmation.

"The twins have given her good herb and restoring drink," the King said, probably noticing my deep concerned face. "The rest of the recovery will depend on time."

"It is because of me you have fallen ill, my Queen," I said. "I am so guilty to cause you this much suffering."

My mother shook her head again, but before she could speak, her body was overcome by a coughing fit

"Bring her some water," her younger sister ordered the maids.

"That is truly your fault!" Issarak sneered at me. "Look at what state you put her through! The blessed gods must be so bitterly angry that they plunged this illness upon her form."

His words had stung me to the heart. I lowered my head.

"Enough of that, Issarak!" Tusita bellowed. "Let no more hateful words escape your mouth. You have no place to judge her as though she was lesser and of ignoble birth. You should be ashamed of yourself for bearing the blood of a god yet act like a disgraceful fool. Keep your mouth shut for the sake of the Queen, who is ill, or else I shall shut it for you!"