Chapter 68

I returned to my chamber again and was greeted by Kesar. She had prepared my dinner and was waiting for me. I smiled and thanked her. After the meal, I took my bath and was ready to go to sleep.

Inside my room, Kesar was sitting primly on the floor by the foot of my bed. She regarded me with tenderness. I didn't notice that at first. The wooden floor felt cold on my bare feet when I entered the room. The curtains flicked against the breeze.

I sat down as I dried my damp hair.

"Are you tired, my lady?" Kesar asked.

"A little, yes," I said. "You have anything to talk to me?"

"No," she said and only smiled.

"What is that?" I asked, raising an amused eyebrow at the maiden. Kesar shook her head. Her dress was looser than usual. She did not tie it securely as she always had.

"I'm just happy to see you again," she finally added, but a slight crimson blush colored her cheeks. Her hair was unbound and only held back by a pair of gold flower pins. I tilted my head and looked at her curiously.

"You're acting funny, Kesar, what's the matter?" I said, and she shook her head again. I waited, but she didn't say anything. "Alright, goodnight then."

I got into bed, and Kesar rose from the floor to untie the sheer curtains from the posts for me. I patted the pillow and got myself comfortable. Kesar came to cover me with the soft duvet. She looked a little distracted. I noticed her breathing was a little ragged. Her face leaned close to mine as she fluffed my pillows. I stared at her then our gazes met.

"What?" I whispered. Kesar bit her bottom lip. I heard her swallow when her hand moved to my cheek. At first, I didn't understand what she wanted, but now I did.

Her hand went over to my breast. I gripped it. Discomfort set like heavy stones in my stomach.

"Kesar, no," my voice sounded weak. She blinked and swiftly removed her hand from my grasp. She bowed apologetically.

"Forgive me, my lady, I didn't mean to," she said with an embarrassed look. "I shouldn't have...must not have...please don't banish me again."

I sat up. She lifted her eyes back to me. The look in them was heartbreaking to see. They were hopeless and hurt and on the brink of tears. It was sad to see her so broken with more sorrow and defeat—more disappointment and rejection.

Kesar stepped back from the bed and turned to leave. Her lovely face was tight with emotions. It made my heart ache with pity.

"Kesar, wait," I called out to her. The maiden stopped and turned around. "It gets so cold at night, and it gets even more lonely to sleep alone. It would be nice to share this bed with you."

A spark of light returned to her eyes. Kesar looked at me. Then after a moment, her face broke into a joyful smile. I welcomed her into my arms as she climbed onto my bed. Kesar seemed contented with my touch alone.

We curled up into each other as we both lay in bed. I kissed her forehead, and soon, we were lost in a deep slumber that took away all the pain.