Chapter 52

After witnessing the equinox of the sun rose above the sanctuary of the highest temple tower, we decided to fly out of the center of the capital. Pisey tilted her body with her enormous wings. We soared over golden rice fields and passed several woodlands until we were at some distance away from the city.

We reached the edge of the forest where we flew over a clear mirror-like lake. I made my Ashva dip into the rippling cold water just for our amusement. Amarisa let out a joyful scream when her feet touched the icy splashes. Then we took off again into the open sky and went straight towards a tall rocky mountain.

"What is that mountain called?" I asked my princess, pointing to the top of what seemed to be a giant mass of jungle and sandstone.

"It's known as Mahendraparvata," Amarisa told me. "It means 'Mountain of the Great Indra'."

"Mahen — what?"

"Mahendra — parvata," she said again then smiled as she leaned her back into me affectionately. "It's the birthplace of our empire. We have several other major cities now. Indrapura is the first capital before Hariharalaya and Yasodharapura. The latter is where we are. It is named after the Great King, Yasovarman, the lion-man. The inscription said he tore the enemy with the claws of his grandeur. His teeth were his policies and his eyes were the Vedas."

"He had claws?" I asked with wide eyes, causing Amarisa to burst out laughing in a feminine way. Then she put her palm up to my cheek, stroking my cheek in adoration.

"Oh dearest Nikita, you're much sweeter than I thought," she said in amusement. "Well, it's just a metaphor, but who knows if he indeed half-lion?"

"Oh, not that it's hard to believe in your world anyway," I said with a shrug. "So, your father, the god-king, is he the same as his forefathers? What is he like?"

"My King Father is always filled with deep compassion and sympathy for the good of the empire and his people," she said in an admiring tone. "He suffers from the illnesses of his subjects more than from his own. The pain that afflicted man's body is for him a spiritual pain, and thus more piercing. He even swore this oath: 'All beings who are plunged into the ocean of existence, may I draw them out by virtues. May the kings, who come after me, be attached to goodness, attain with their wives, dignitaries, and friends. May they be kings of the place of deliverance where there is no more evil'."

"He sounds like a great ruler after all," I said, somewhat relieved. "At least, the love of my life didn't happen to be the one and only daughter of the man with claws. I don't want my life to be so short."

Amarisa laughed again.

"It's not my father you should be worried about," she said.

"Is your birth mother very strict?"

"Queen Mother Indradevi once said that it is no different than having your left and right hand. One is gentle while the other is strong. It depends on what occasion you prefer to use them."

I felt a bit uneasy knowing that I could be in trouble if I was the occasion that required her stronger hand.

"So can we go to that hilltop for a rest?" I said to change the subject.

"Of course, we may do that." Amarisa nodded in agreement.

With a cheerful grin still stitched across my face, I tugged on the reins, steering Pisey to our desired destination.

Unlike the mountain range, Mahendrapavata was an isolated chain of mountain plateaus of moderate height. It had two magnificent waterfalls. They looked like a hundred feet of flowing white silk from the distance. On the plain, a clear stream of cold water washed through the cracks of sleek black rocks. The surrounding trees and tropical plants grew dense everywhere. A natural garden in itself.