Chapter 37

We had to present ourselves in the arena. It was the first time I saw all the godlings in one place. There were other new faces I hadn't seen. Our team was small compared to Issarak's. The twin brothers were the only ones who didn't join. They now sat with Malis, the tiger, waiting to cheer us on with the floating Devatas.

Kesar was inside the Main Pavilion with her fellow Kennars. They began to play the music to awake the fighter's spirit. The beats were fast and loud, causing my heart to pound harder.

Queen Indradevi whispered something to the Guru, who nodded in return. He stepped out to the front of the portico.

"On behalf of Her Majesty, I would like to announce the pairing of duelists as follow," he said in a loud clear voice. His elephant eyes squinted at us. Issarak's smirk widened.

Sambo read through a scroll of names. I held my breath, hearing my pulse beating in my ears.

"Atith, son of Surya, Dispeller of Darkness and Lord of the Sun," the Guru said. "Issarak, son of Murugan, Wielder of the Divine Spear and Commander of the Devas."

The excitement roared among the people. Issarak stepped forward with a grin. His pauldron covered one shoulder, leaving the other bare. I noticed his golden helmet had a pair of peacock tail tucked behind both ears.

"You go kick his behind for us, Atith," Vorac encouraged him.

"Make us proud," Tusita said. "Let him have a taste of defeat."

"Be careful, Atith," Tepi said, patting him on his armored shoulder. Atith nodded back and strode forward.

He went to stand on the field with an air of bravery. Waiting in the arena was our famous foe. The crowd howled along with the music and war drums.

"I will knock you flat to the ground in a heartbeat, Atith," Issarak said with a sly grin. "You won't stand a chance against my strength."

"Leave your vain words behind, Issarak, and put forth only your actions," Atith said, looking unafraid.

Issarak growled and held out his palm. A sword and a round crested shield sprang out of thin air in his hands. He swung the golden blade a few times, giving sharp whizzing sounds.

Atith drew his golden spear from the swirl of golden dust. The drums roared as the two of them ran into each other.

Then they both started deflecting each other's weapon back and forth. Atith was tough, but Issarak appeared to be more skilled in the sword fight. He dodged Atith's spear and knocked him in the chest with his shield. Atith stumbled back a few steps.

"Without the Kavach armor, you would be dead!" Issarak said. "Is that all you can do?"

Atith composed himself again and his face seemed to glow red.

"Oh you're blushing!" Issarak said with a mocking laugh. Atith yelled and crushed the blade of his spear downward as if trying to split Issarak's skull in half. Issarak parried him off with his sword and kicked Atith in the stomach. He gave another roundhouse kick across his face. Atith flipped in the air from the impact and fell rolling to the ground.

Issarak's sword now disappeared, replaced by a golden mace bigger than the size of his head. He slammed it against Atith's chest and back, sending him a few more feet away.

Issarak laughed. Then the mace in his hand turned into a long golden spear. It sparkled like a million diamonds.

"Oh no! He can't use the Vel! That's against the rules!" Vorac cried out.

"What's the Vel?" I asked.

"Another powerful astra," she said. "Lord Murugan has granted his son the gift to call upon any weapon he desires. Among them is the divine spear called the Vel. It is as destructive as Tusita's Gandiva."