Chapter 64

Though wrapped warmly in the arms of the celestial woman, my regret still weighed more heavily in my heart. I had broken the rule — the unwritten one. It might mean nothing for the gods but not for us, mortals. How could Amarisa forgive me if she knew I was now in bed with another woman, a goddess no less? Thinking of my beautiful princess on earth, my heart constricted with pain. I wanted to cry and curse myself for what I had done.

"Don't despair, my dearest, there is nothing you can do," the goddess spoke softly as if she knew what was taunting me. Her hand stroked my hair and rubbed my naked back.

"How could I not be?" I said in a scratchy tone. "I should have resisted you."

"Nonsense! Not even a god could resist a Devi like me," she said. "You think so highly of yourself, young lass."

"But I am the worst human being to commit such unspeakable sin," I said.

"Even the greatest warriors are not perfect," Kemira said. "Lord Krishna had charmed his way into the hearts of numerous women. He had more than a hundred wives in his court alone! Arjuna took comfort in his many consorts, too. Why would our sexual pleasure be deemed immoral when men did exactly the same?"

"You don't understand what love means in my world, goddess. Humans are not like gods," I said again. "I should have been more faithful like Rama to Sita."

"Stop comparing yourself to others, Nikita," she said. "The heart itself is untamed. Love and lust are its weakness and its strength."

"I have betrayed my princess. She will be livid," I said gravely. "I can't live with this guilt. Goddess, if you have mercy left, please plunge me out of your heaven gate and let me fall to my death!"

Kemira burst out laughing. The sound of her laughter echoed like a song. It only eased my guilt-ridden heart for a moment and soon the guilt came back again ten folds.

"You are still the same, still naive and easily swayed by emotions," the goddess said. "These might be your lifelong flaws. I was hoping to change that somewhat, but it seems I have failed. As for your guilt, it shall do you no good for we are merely pawns in the game of Fate. Our coupling was well-intended. In time, you will let go of your regret and learn to accept the nature of your destiny."

I rose from the bed and sat up. My eyes stared at the face of surpassing loveliness of the Heaven Lord's daughter. Kemira smiled back sweetly as she began to rise, too. The goddess reached over and brushed a strand of hair from my face. Her nakedness was half-hidden under the fleece cover.

"Tell me, my lady, why did you come to me and demand that we share each other's passion?" I asked. "I knew it was not because I fell into a pond."

The goddess giggled, but then she heaved a low sigh and dropped her gaze from me.

"If you must know to end the blame upon your innocent mind, my lovely one, I will tell you the truth now and at once," she said. "My advancement, with sheer passion aside, was meant to purify you. Your injury made you unfit for the quests that have been laid before you. All your seven chakras were too weak. King Father and the other immortals know of your story. You're the Queen's daughter and the Child of the Great Prophecy. You're the one who bears the mark of the glorious Moon and wielder of the Cursed Blade. You will face greater dangers than anything known to mortals. And that, my dear, is why you need me here."

"Your father made you do this? Is this what the Heaven Lord has been scheming all along? To bring me here and pollute my mind?" I said, feeling a mild anger that started to spark from my inside. The Devi gave me a glare that sent a shiver through my uncovered body. I had to remind myself that it was a goddess I was speaking to.