Chapter 60

Our days passed like molasses. The King and his Queen had returned to the capital. The Holy Game was then announced to be set in a matter of two moon phases.

I finally returned to the encampment, and we all labored under more strict training. As usual, no one suffered worse than me. Tepi and her self-appointed assistant from the Underworld were busy planning strategies. To keep ourselves from going mad with anticipation, Vorac, Tusita, and Atith, with their passion for the celestial winged horses, occupied me with the flying lessons.

Morokot and Samudra became my advisers on self-preservation. Morokot proved to be very knowledgeable in this matter. She knew all the tricks that Issarak might have intended to weave from his crafty mind. In contrast, Samudra taught me the rules and moral obligations of the Game. I wondered if all these would help me.

Amarisa came to the encampment with her royal parents every noon. At night, when everyone had fallen into their slumber, she would wrap herself in a veil in disguise then came to my chamber. The princess was utterly worried about my well-being. Every time she saw a fresh cut and bruise on my arms or my legs, she grew sad.

I considered it sweet and womanly of her, but I reassured her that I would be in no danger as my friends would protect me in a time of need and that I was, after all, slowly becoming a warrior myself.

Amarisa would spend the first watch of the night with me. I would report to her all the things that happened during the day and she would listen.

One time she fell asleep in my arms and woke up at the crack of dawn in panic. I saw her off before the other palace servants noticed she had gone amiss.

But during those tranquil hours, Amarisa was aware of my longing, and she soothed my hunger with as much intimacy as she could give.

The wait was finally over. The big day had arrived with more excitement and eagerness in the air. At the Main Pavilion, the King and Queens sat with other official attendants. Sambo made the announcement before the sun rose from behind the mountains.

"On behalf of the King and Queens," he began, looking over us. "I announce the first quest for the Game. Both teams shall bring back a tail of the Mayura bird by tomorrow before sunset."

Issarak and his friends smirked at us from the other side of the field. Behind them were their bronze Hamsas.

"For the next quest," the Guru said again. "You must bring back a scale of the Rainbow Fish. And the last quest is the most important testament for all great warriors. You have to catch the king of the forest, Gajasimha."

The crowd gasped in wonderment.

"The winner shall be declared the leader of our holy army." The Guru turned and bowed to the monarchs again. The Brahmin priests chanted a few mantras of blessings and blew their conchs three times. The drums were struck continuously as a sign to start the game.

Before we left, I turned around to look at my mother and Amarisa. As I expected, they both were enveloped in unspeakable emotions. Each showed me love and support through their eyes if not with words. Then I caught a glimpse of Kesar sitting in a concealing corner, watching me.

It pained my heart, but I was delighted to see her again.

"Come along, Nikita," Tusita said. I turned back and followed my friends to the stables. Everybody, except Samudra and Raksa, got ready to fly.

"Where are we going to find the phoenix?" I asked Tepi.

"According to the Hora, the Mayura's whereabouts are most likely in the eastern quarter of the sky," Tepi said. "We must fly east before Issarak finds the bird first. Their flying Hamsas are fast and powerful, too."

"We will win this, Nikita," Tusita assured me with a pat on my shoulder. "I am the daughter of the sky lord and guardian of the east. I won't disappoint him in this quest."

We mounted the Ashvas. The winged horses began to gallop into the field. I could see Issarak's bronze bird leaving a white streak of smoke in the sky.

"I think we must hurry," Atith said. Everyone nodded in agreement. After a running start, our divine horses unfolded their enormous wings. We rose into the air like a flock of doves.

I looked down at the Pavilion, hoping to see Amarisa again, but I was already too high off the ground and everyone looked like ants.

The light-filled morning and gentle breeze made it easy for us to speed eastward. We glided in a small formation through the atmosphere. The horses' white wings flapped rhythmically beside each other.

I inhaled the incredibly fresh air of the big blue sky. We continued to ride like that for an hour straight. My face had grown numb by the constant wind blows but none of the avatars wanted to slow down.

Until we were more or less at the eastern part of the earth that we began to look for the hunted bird.

"There is not a shadow of any bird in sight," Morokot said, brushing her flowing lock away from her face. Her red outfit reflected the sunlight like burning flames. "Are you sure we are on the right path?"

Then we heard whizzing sounds swept past us. The flock of bronze birds darted through our formation, causing us to scatter away.

Issarak was in his golden armor with spear and shield glittering in the sun. Their rides hissed with hot steam.

"Issarak, you're not allowed to use divine weapons in the Game!" Atith yelled.

Ravi was also on a Hamsa. But she seemed to have no wish to participate in a quarrel and just steered her mount away.

"Ravi! Where are you going?" Issarak shouted after her. "We need to beat them before they get to the bird!"

"Go away, Issarak," Tepi said to him. "We don't have any spare time for your nonsense."

"Oh, but I do," Issarak said with a leer. "If you leave that silly ungodly girl to her doom, I will forgive you for your delusion. She is not the Destined One, and I am more fitted to lead than anyone!"

"What did you just call her again?" Tusita growled. She was about to summon her Astra when a ball of red fire already flew straight at Issarak. He yelped as he raised his shield to protect himself from the blaze.

"Well, it is no longer an accident, Issarak," Morokot said while flickering flames still danced over her palm. "Leave us or risk getting your behind on fire, you disgraceful swine!"

Issarak hissed and pulled out his spear, but before he could lash at us. Morokot blew air from her mouth. All their flying birds suddenly caught fire. Smoke shot out from their beaks and behinds. The war god's son and his friends wailed in surprise.

"Issarak! We must land!" the giant avatar Vijay cried as he tried to put out the fire on his bird.

"One day, I will make you pay!" Issarak growled. They jerked the pedal and flew away then disappeared into a pack of clouds.