Chapter 78

Tepi was the first to see me as I swam over to the ship.

"Nikita!" Tepi cried as she staggered towards me. "Are you alright?"

"I'm fine! I have the scales!" I said.

She ordered two men to hoist me up. The sun seemed too far away beyond the gray cloud, and the monster's attack hadn't lessened since.

Once I got onto the ship again, I showed her the scales. They gleamed brightly in my hand, but Tepi stared at them with both relief and a hint of fear.

"I will ask everyone to retreat," she said in a hurried voice.

Our ship was in a bad shape, but Issarak's was even worse. Makara had wiped out the entire masts of their ship and tore the canvas to shreds. I heard thunders growling overhead. Tusita must have conjured up a funnel of a storm. She still seemed to have trouble landing any strike as she could barely stand still on the rocking ship.

"Everyone, leave this place now!" Tepi cried above the noises. "We already got what we came for!"

Atith along with the other soldiers fought boldly with their swords and bossed shields, slaying one monster after another.

"Nikita, look out!" someone cried.

Then a black sea lizard fell to the floor beside me. I jumped back, startled to see the creature dead, wheezing, and disintegrating into a black mist. My head turned around, looking for whoever had just saved me. Vorac was clinging onto one of the masts with her golden bow. She fired arrow after arrow upon the merlions and lizards that were crawling on the deck.

Before I could move again, a wave slammed our ship. Makara had advanced between us with his gigantic body.

"He's trying to overturn the ship!" Tusita cried out from behind the wheel. "Everyone, hold tight!"

We began to sway across the floor. Tepi tried to grab me, but I already lost my balance and slid over the deck. My body bumped into something hard along the way, but I had no time to feel the pain. My hand clenched tightly around the prize I gained, refused to let go.

When everyone seemed to blur into the heat of battle, a merlion jumped over the railing and came at me. All I saw was a wide jaw snapping at my face. I let out a cry of shock and crawled away as fast as I could. The merlion slithered after me, knocking everything out of its path.

"Nikita!" Tepi yelled, but my eyes only focused on the growling monster. The beastly thing lunged with its sharp teeth, but only to come back with a chunk of floorboards. I had rolled out of the way just in time. Then I found myself in a corner with nowhere else to turn. The beast crawled towards me. At the same time, I remembered the scales in my hand and snapped out of my paralyzing fear. Opening my palm again, I randomly picked one of the glowing scales.

The monster roared and opened its mouth, ready to devour me whole. The merlion lunged at me as I held my only choice of weapon with my eyes squeezed shut. I braced myself for a tearing attack, but nothing came. There was only a faint crackling sound.

When I opened my eyes again, I found a huge chunk of ice in the shape of a raging monster where the merlion once was.

The scale of ice had frozen it to the core.

After my shock disappeared, I staggered dizzily onto my feet again. Then I gave a hard shove at the frozen creature. It slid overboard, breaking the railing before plunging back into the sea.

I glanced at the scales in my hand then closed my fist in relief.

The battle went on between men and monsters while the avatars on both sides tried to take down the biggest one.