Chapter 46

Our handsome gold-ornate mount was escorted by horse-ridden guards through the palace gate. Fire torches lit the avenue as we went towards the vast city outside. The armed guards walked in two rows. The maids held candles to lead the path at the front. I could see Malis trotting ahead of us.

We went passing random shrines and public buildings. People's wooden houses were lit by lanterns and torches. The elephant ride was exhilarating, daring, and even amusing to my foreign mind. With our arms around each other, Amarisa and I swayed to the heavy steps of the massive mammal.

I smiled at her. A small hint of lovely blush rushed to her cheeks. Then Amarisa leaned gently into me and rested her head on the curve of my neck.

"Are we going afield still farther?" I asked.

"No, of course not," she said. "King Father would never allow me to wander off a distance longer than the City's front."

"Oh, then how could the outing tonight be alright?" I asked and turned to look at her.

"The festival is celebrated near the palace," she said. "We could reach there in a blink of an eye."

"So, you have never been anywhere farther than that?" I asked again.

"Indeed, I have, but not without the company of my parents and handmaidens," she said.

"Are you not curious to see bigger oceans and higher mountains?" I asked, "Somewhere far and wide?"

"Yes, I am," she said with a low sigh. "There is nothing I would want to have than a glimpse of the outside world, Nikita. I am always confined inside the palace walls, but I'm not the same as the women I surround myself with. They never wish to break the cocoons of their ordinary lives but I do. See? I'm not a caged Sarika bird."

I smiled, feeling proud of the princess. She had just shown me a little of her rebellious side. Amarisa smiled back rather sheepishly. I tightened my embrace around her. Her head leaned back into my shoulder again. We stayed like that in relative silence until the elephant let out a wailing sound.

I finally looked up and realized there was a public gathering not far away in the crowded town. Music and drums came drifting through the fire-lit night.

There were about sixteen sanctuaries scattered around a very large field. Each had a silk enclosure like a fortress. The structures were built from bamboos and wood. Each post held white and gold patterned fabric like a wall.

We were led towards a tall doorless gate. The field seemed to be flocked with people of all ages and classes. The women dressed in fancy silk with flowers in their hairs. The men escorted their wives and children.

In the middle of the enclosed field sat a bonfire. As our little procession approached the entrance, people nearby would stop their activities and kneel on the ground. I was uncomfortable with such an act of extreme worshiping, but it was their custom.

We entered the festival ground, which hosted various activities. There were people selling hand-made goods on the straw mats. Children ran around with tiny paper lanterns. The smell of delicious food and strong rice wine brushed my nose here and there. The cheery noises echoed with chaotic delight.

I was so absorbed in the festivity that I hadn't noticed some young ladies, who dressed in their glittery best, inclined their heads at me and flipped their hair. They whispered among themselves, asking each other who I was and where I had been hiding in gods know where.

"O the gods, bless my soul, she is as beautiful as Rama was handsome!" one of them said loudly.

"Yes! And as fair as Krishna was blue!" the other added.