Chapter 31

The next day, we started our riding-flying lesson. We plowed through the meadow of clouds without any problem. I looked down and saw tiny houses below. To my left was a wide water moat of the golden temple. To my right, countless stone canals, rice paddies, and water Barays.

We flew over specks of trees that surrounded the city walls. Everywhere I looked took my breath away. The city was larger than I previously thought. My eyes drank in all the sacred landscapes in awe. It was so beautiful up here. I could see golden temples in various designs, dotting the green hills and the mountains. Some stood proudly on wide plains with manicured gardens and lotus ponds.

Our winged-horses cruised through the sky, whizzing, and floating past the drifting clouds. We glided in a small formation. The horses' wings flapped rhythmically in the breezy morning. Pisey made a gentle air-gallop along with the others.

As the sun rose high, Angkor City lightened up like a fairytale kingdom. Acres of golden rice fields and green plantations spread over the majestic land. Flying along with my avatar friends, I realized that this holy city was indeed heaven on earth.

We sky-rode like that for the whole morning before we turned back to the encampment again. But before we even took our descend, a whooping sound echoed out of nowhere. Something bright darted past us, followed by a tailwind that tousled our hair.

We all looked to see what it was and found a couple of flying objects soaring in the sky. They looked like metal aircraft in the shape of a bird. Another one came at us and nearly knocked me off my horse.

We scattered away from each other to avoid it. The horses almost lost their altitude in a panic. We tried to calm our Ashvas. They wailed and hissed in anger. That was when we saw Issarak and Morokot, but what astonished us more were their shimmering rides.

We stared at their unusual metal birds. The whole craft was made of bronze and jointed by golden plates for wings. They decorated the bodies with feathered pattern and curvy tails with sharp-clawed legs. The metal birds hissed hot steam through the nostrils and open beaks.

We were fairly amazed by their invention.

Issarak even fastened a red cushion saddle on his handsome vehicle. His other friends also appeared from behind. We realized that they had engineered their own kind of mounts.

Issarak smirked while we kept staring at their shiny flock of machine birds. He flew past us again at a blinding speed and went through the sky. The others followed him in a formation. Their bronze birds glittered in the sunlight.

"They ride mechanical birds!" I said. "Am I seeing that I think it is?"

"No need for unduly surprise, Nikita, one of Issarak's worshipers is the avatar of Kubera, the God of Wealth. They can ask for any vehicles they wish."

"I thought such invention only existed in my time," I said, undoubtedly impressed.

"Well, they call those the Hamsa. We have only heard of the Hamsa in the legend of King Atithvongsa," Tepi said with a shrug.

"So you people were able to build something like that since the beginning of time?"

"With the knowledge of the gods, yes," Tusita said. "We could bring anything to life. In the legend, it mentions the first flying Hamsa in a poem. Made of pure gold and encased with rubies and diamonds, the metal craft was so beautiful that anyone who saw it would bow down. Two great engineers invented the flying vehicle together. One worked on the body with his peerless artistic skills. The other created the engine with his blessed knowledge. They named their invention after the heavenly swans. The flying bird was made for the King's son. The prince later used it to travel to all corners of the earth, looking for his soulmate."