Chapter 33

I continued to wait, shivering in the cold as night dew started to form. I was still thinking about what Kama had said when my isolation was disturbed by a sound of cracking twig not far away. I lifted my face and caught the same enchanting sight of my princess. She was standing on the other side of the running creek. Her beauteous person wrapped in layers of the thin nightgown. Her face was half-hidden in her silk scarf as her flowing black lock flirted with the wind like a shy willow tree.

"Amarisa?" I said in joyous relief. My heart skipped so many beats seeing her face again.

The notion that Amarisa was spying on me brought me an odd feeling of pleasure. But once she realized I saw her, the princess began to turn away.

"Amarisa!" I almost cried in despair. "Please stay...don't go away."

She stopped as if frozen by a thought. Then she turned around and stepped back into the luminous ground. The princess regarded me awkwardly. I gathered my stuff and jumped off the boulder.

Amarisa walked towards the stone bridge across the small flowing stream. The moon gave off the same silvery glow like the first night we had met in this beautiful garden.

The surreal meeting almost took my breath away. I couldn't believe she was willing to see me again. When I reached the stone bridge, I made myself slow down and took a deep shaky breath.

The clear laughing water streamed around the glittering rocks. The moonlight shone brightly, turning the creek into a giant mirror beneath our feet. It held the trees and the pale gray sky upside down, and even the small silver trembling moon was captured in the reflection with us.

We stood for a moment at the opposite ends of the bridge. I stared at the most beautiful face I'd ever seen. With a nimbus of light around her elegant form, her face glowed. Deep down in my pumping heart, I knew I could look upon this face forever and still not be satisfied.

Amarisa dropped her gaze in shyness.

I dropped everything then willed my feet to move forward. To my surprise, the princess also walked towards me. We reached each other in the middle. She was timid as always, no doubt. Her eyes were down, gazing upon our reflections in the mirroring stream. I held my hands out to take hers.

"My princess, look at me," I said. Slowly, she bit her luscious lips and looked up.

"Why did you not leave?" Amarisa asked to my surprise. "Why are you still here?"

"I would stay here until I see you," I said.

Amarisa frowned at me.

"What if I did not come?"

"I would still wait even if I might turn to stone."

Amarisa was silent for a moment and then she sighed softly.

"My impulsive heart got the best of me," she said. "I couldn't stop myself from writing that silly note, and..." she trailed off and looked embarrassed.

"Why did you say that?" I stepped closer to her and touched her soft cheek. "I know you think of me, too. You love me dearly as I do you."

"Love you?!" Amarisa's eyes flickered in denial. "I do not!"

The princess tugged her hands away, but I gripped them back gently.

"Amarisa...don't say that, please," I said. "This life is empty if you don't want me, and I cannot bear the pain if you say 'no'."

She stared at me. I saw a spark of suppressed longing burning within those dark stirring eyes. Yet the light dimmed back as she blinked and turned her face away to conceal it. Then I understood, secretly that she didn't even admit it to herself, she did marvel over my passion for her.

Amarisa must have gloated about her power over this foreign stranger. My undying effort to chase her tickled her heart. The truth was plain and clear as day. This beautiful princess was fascinated by the way I was powerless and miserable. She fancied my great impatient ego. But she knew her power over me was threatened when she saw me and Kesar. This led the princess to act on impulse and allowed me into her garden—and closer to her heart.

"You were jealous, weren't you?" I said with a slight smile of confidence for the first time

"Of what?" Amarisa said.

"Of Kesar and me," I said. "You saw us and you got jealous."

"You think so highly of yourself," she said with a sharp look.

"Admit it, Amarisa," I said. "You can't deny your feelings for me. "

"You're talking nonsense as always," she said and turned away from me. But before she could move, I pulled her back and wrapped my arms around her.

At the sheer intimacy, Amarisa gasped and squirmed in my arms, but she didn't try to shove me off the bridge the way I expected her to.

"Oh, how I scorn your manner!" Amarisa cried, wriggling herself in annoyance. "Why do you always find pleasure in capturing me?"

"Why do you always find pleasure in running away?" I said, feeling her soft body against mine. "Why can't we just sit down and be civilized with one another? Now that we know we both share the same desire?"

"We do not share anything!"

"Stop fighting it! Stop lying to yourself, Amarisa," I said, looking at her in the eyes. "No more tormenting me. No more flouting me. I am doomed if you hold back your longing and refuse to let love words pass your lips. You are afraid to feed your heart's needs, but I know you want me as badly as I want you!"

"Nikita, stop it!"

"No! Tonight we must face the truth," I said, searching for her conflicted eyes as she was trying to look away. "If you deny that all I said isn't right, then look me in the eyes and say so!"

Amarisa shook her head, refusing to speak. I lost my patience and grabbed her face and pressed my lips to hers. I inhaled the familiar sweet scent of her skin then pulled away to look at her face.

"Say it, or I won't leave," I said. "Is it true that you love me, too? Is it?"

"Yes! It's true! It's all true!" she said, lifting her head back to me. "Are you satisfied now?"

We froze in silence. I blinked in surprise and almost couldn't believe my own ears. Amarisa was panting as hard as I was. I almost fainted from the joy her confession brought me. As we stared at each other, letting the sound of nature calm our raging nerves, I prayed that it wasn't just a cheating dream. That it was happening right before my eyes.

"Amarisa," I said, looking at her imploringly. "Be kind and say it again. Say that you love me, so that I know I'm not dreaming."

Amarisa just sighed and leaned over to rest her head on my shoulder. I held my breath in my chest, afraid to disturb the moment.

"You poisoned my heart with your love, Nikita," she whispered softly, "and yet I wish it would never be well again."