Chapter 12

Along the way, people would stop whatever they were doing to stare. Others stood along the roadsides, welcoming our parade. They wore white or red breechcloths with scarves wrapped around their heads. Most men were shirtless. The women were barely covered up either. Young maidens were rarely spotted in the public areas. Naked children ran about, riding their makeshift horses and pretending to be soldiers. The sight was too intriguing to my eyes. I kept observing all that until we heard the horns blew.

"Looks like we're almost there," Tepi said.

Once we reached the borders of the capital, I looked out of the carriage's window again. My eyes tried to take in the panorama of the whole city as we cruised through villages, public markets, gardens, temples, and shrines.

"What are those?" I asked, pointing at tall houses rising high above the ground.

"They're the guard posts," Tepi said. By now she had become my personal guide.

"What is that building?" I said, pointing to a big two-storey wooden building with stone foundation.

"It's the State Hospital," she said. "Sometimes, the twins, Romany and Romanir would go to treat sick people with severe cases there. It's open for people of all casts."

"Oh, you mean the two brothers?"

"Yes, the boys are great physicians," Tusita said. "The best healers in the kingdom, know how to treat anything from a toothache to poisoned sores, and even perform needed surgeries."

I was impressed.

"How could they become doctors at such a young age?" I said.

"No unduly surprise," Tusita said with a shrug. "The twins are the avatars of Aswins, the twin gods of medicines."

I still wasn't sure if I was comfortable with the idea of coexisting with divine beings, but everyone didn't seem to mind talking about gods like they were real. Or maybe they were real in this world.

"Anyway, what about that stone building?" I turned to a big T-shaped structure.

"It's the public library," Tepi replied.

"You have public libraries?" I said with a surprised face.

"Of course, we do!" Tusita looked at me as if I was illiterate. "Queen Indradevi founded them to educate her subjects. She's a scholar and also our respected professor."

"You've got a queen as a teacher?" I said.

"What's the matter with that? Our Queens allows every child to go to school, girls and boys alike," Tepi said. "Both, Queen Indradevi and her older sister, Queen Jayarajadevi, are the King's advisers. They attend the state affairs in the royal court. They're not mere royal wives but co-architects and military strategists."

I remembered my father told me that the real powerhouse of this old kingdom was the women.

"Yes, and not to mention how divine they look," Tusita added with a goofy smile. "And their only daughter...O Meru gods bless my heart...don't even get me thinking of the blooming maiden, or I might swoon."

"What about their daughter?" I asked.

"You shall lie your eyes upon the princess yourself," she said with a mischievous grin. "I could spend days and nights describing her beauty but no word would do the princess justice."

Tepi gave Tusita a look.

"Is she that special?" I said.

"Rightly so! Princess Amarisa of Kumbujedesa, O, how she was born from a scholar queen and a warrior king," Tusita said with a dreamy look on her face. "She smells like jasmines and looks like a delicate flower herself. Her body is as pliant as a lotus, and her skin as soft as petals."