Chapter 24

What happened in the Asoak Garden was the last thing I thought of before I fell asleep and the first thing that came to my mind when I awoke.

I bolted out of bed with a start when I realized the sun has risen past the horizon. The world spun in my vision as the blood pumped to my brain too fast. This morning, I had a class with Amarisa, and I couldn't be late!

Normally, Kesar would wake me up, but now I still hadn't seen her anywhere. Was she still upset? I sighed and tried to brush the sour feeling aside. The other maids prepared my morning bath, which I took in a hurry.

My breakfast was flat rice cakes that tasted sweet like they were dipped in honey. I attacked them as quickly as I could. When I went back to get dressed, I found Kesar there, holding a pile of clothes in her arms.

"Kesar?" I said. "You came back."

The maiden put the clothes down on the dressing table and looked at me with a sweet smile.

"You're getting ready for class, my lady?"

"Y-yes," I said with a stiff nod.

"Then we must hurry." She came forward and pulled me by the hand. "The day won't wait for us. The princess and her Queen Mother might even come early."

I wanted to apologize to Kesar about what happened last night, but she seemed to be preoccupied as she sat me down on a wooden chair in front of a large bronze mirror.

"First and foremost, you have to look presentable," she said. I stared at her through the hazy reflection. Kesar picked up a comb made of buffalo horn and carded it through my messy blonde lock. Then she proceeded to braid it neatly over my right shoulder.

I didn't know what to say. After she finished, she applied a small amount of natural oil on my hair. Its light fragrant scent cloaked me with pleasantness.

"That is a pleasant smell," I said.

"It's the scent of Chankressna, the most prized fragrant plant of our land, my lady," she told me. "A woman is like a flower. She must smell as pleasant as she is pretty."

I felt my cheeks blush. Then I stepped into the finest silk clothes that Kesar brought to me. She helped button my white shirt and roll up my long sleeves to the elbows the way I liked it. I was comfortable in my fitting pair of pants and my freshly polished leather boots. Kesar straightened the collar of my shirt. I stared at her face in silence as she did so.

"Kesar..." I started, "about what happened last night..."

"It's alright, my lady," she said and brought her index finger to my lips. "It was not out of ill-intent. You're not at fault."

"But I'm still sorry," I said, putting my hands on her shoulders to make her look at me. "Kesar, I did hurt you, and I am so sorry."

She shook her head back with a sad smile. Her hands kept brushing gently on the front of my silk shirt. "I beg to differ, my lady. The blame is all mine. I shouldn't have high hope for a place in your heart."

I wanted to tell her there was no such thing as her fault, and I would always have a place for her in my heart, but Kesar quickly turned away again.

"Come now, my lady, we are running late for your morning class," she said.

"Are you coming along?" I asked.

"Of course, I am." Kesar smiled. "I'm one of the music teachers for the princess too."

We walked through a causeway that was built across a moat fed by a large water Baray. A cluster of wooden houses looked more like a small floating village. It rose above the clear water. Maids came to and fro, holding golden paraphernalia.