Chapter 35

I returned with more life than I'd ever felt in my entire existence. I skipped and swirled with overflowing happiness, floating across the path to my chamber. My mind was full of joyful thoughts. Everything was beautiful in my eyes. Even the sound of crickets felt like heavenly music to my ears. I was going on a date with Amarisa in the next coming days and I wished the time would fly by fast. I could barely contain myself.

Then the gold-encased door groaned open and drew my attention. The glow of the lantern light shone from the hallway. Kesar appeared through the threshold as if she could hear my zealous rumpus from the distance.

With a big smile, I went towards my handmaiden and wrapped my arms around her before lifting her off the floor. A shock expression plastered on her face.

"My lady, no! Please, put me down!" she squealed in fright as I whirled her around and around. It made me giggle even more.

"Kesar, you have wings!" I reminded her after I put her down again. "You're afraid of me doing this?"

She gave me an embarrassed look.

"You seem so happy," she said.

"Yes, you would never have guessed what happened!" I said gleefully. "Never in my life have I felt so alive and so delighted. Amarisa and I are now together and we will go on a date!"

"A date?" Kesar said with a curious look. She was confused like my princess was before I explained what a date meant. It made me giggle again.

"Ah, never mind," I said, shaking my head at her with a smile. "I'll tell you about it another time. Now I'm tired and just want to go to bed."

Kesar nodded. We went inside, but during our short walk to the bedroom, I noticed how quiet Kesar had become. My head turned to her again. She didn't look up from the floor. I grabbed her hand to make her look at me.

Kesar smiled, but her eyes didn't seem lively like they always were whenever she saw me returning home.

"You're alright?" I asked her.

Kesar nodded her head. Then she walked to the silk-covered bed and parted its flowing sheer curtains. She pulled down the thin fleecy duvet for me.

"The visit to the Asoak Garden must have tired you now," she said. "You should have your rest while the night is still slow."

I stood there looking at Kesar and felt a fresh current of pity flowed through my heart. I stepped towards the Kennari and reached for her small frame, pulling her to sit down on the bed with me.

"I'm sorry," I said.

We gazed at each other's faces. I could see the tears threatened to well in her eyes, but Kesar blinked them away. It broke my heart knowing she was secretly hurting.

"You did nothing wrong and have no faults," she said. "Don't be sorry for this silly maiden."

Pity filled my heart. I wrapped the maiden from behind and rested my chin on the crook of her delicate neck with a sigh.

"I'm sorry for the way you feel, Kesar," I said. "The love god is cruel to us all. I wish there was a way to end your misery. I'm not worth your love. You will find someone who deserves you more. You will find a worthy Kennari or a Kennara as your true mate."

"No, please, my lady, don't say such heartbreaking words," Kesar said, turning around to look at me. "I am ashamed of myself and of my longing, but I never wish for a lover. Just let me be by your side and it shall please my heart always."

When I lifted my head, I was greeted by those pleading eyes. Kesar brought her soft palm to my cheek and caressed me gently.

"Don't let me be the cause of your guilt. I'm utterly happy for you and the princess," she said in a soft voice. "She is destined to be yours from the beginning, and I would never dare defy the Fate."

"Oh Kesar," I murmured against her palm and kissed her wrist once.

She pulled away and stood up. "I must leave you to your rest. May a brighter day await you tomorrow."

With that said, she turned and left me alone in the room.