Chapter 19

We followed the Guru into another hall. A bright light came from a burning brazier at the center. There were more carvings of some important Hindu gods on the wall. I saw several stones altars around the chamber. But all altars were empty, except one. It hosted a long curved golden sword. The weapon froze vertically in midair. Its blade seemed to glow with inner light and looked as if it was alive, vibrating with immense energy.

"This is Chandrahas, the Moonsword," Sambo said. "If you can wield it, you are the rightful owner of this mighty Astra."

"Oh? Is that so?" I said.

"But be mindful of its origin, young one," the Guru said and then stepped aside. "The Moon blade is a legendary weapon created by Lord Shiva, the Ultimate God of Destruction. Shiva warned if it was used for an unjust cause, the sword would return to him, and the wielder's end would be near."

"So it is a cursed blade?" I asked.

"It used to belong to someone in the past," he said. "Someone who had fallen from grace. Someone invincible that someday you might face."

The Guru's words confused me.

"Nikita, you should go and try your luck now," Tusita urged.

I took a deep breath and stepped towards the altar. My hand extended towards the glowing blade. Everyone stood looking at me with curious eyes.

My nerves started to rage inside my veins. What if something happens to me when I lift the sword? Chandrahas and Chandramoki Moni, my name and my mother's, they all seemed to be connected.

Did these things bind my destiny to this realm? I had done the same with the Moonstone — one touch and I got plunged into this fantasy world. Who knew what would happen if I touched the Moonsword, too? My hand trembled as I reached out to grab hold of its golden hilt.

"No, wait!" Tepi said and then turned to the Guru. "I don't think she's ready to handle it yet."

"What do you mean, Tepi?" Vorac said. "No one is able to wield it anyway. Even I myself had tried! Why don't we let her try it?"

My hand was only a few inches away from the Moonsword, but I already felt the heat tingling in my palm.

"Very well then," Sambo decided after a moment of thinking. "You know your friend better than I. Mayhap, we shall give the holy one some more time. Now let us get back."

"Nikita," Tepi called out to me. I withdrew my hand and straightened myself back with a sigh.

After we left the armory, I spent time listening to a string of introductions of everything. For the rest of the afternoon, we just walked around the encampment.

Afterward, we reached a large wooden building under a nascent Bo tree. But before we even stepped through the threshold, we heard the groans from the inside.

"What is this place?" I asked, looking around.

"The Aswin House," Tepi said. "Our access to health care."

"And why are we here?"

"Well, I just want to show the nearest hospital you can find," Sambo said. "We have the finest medicine and the best healers here. If you're injured, which is highly likely, the twin brothers shall tend to you."

We entered the large house. It was cozy inside. Buckets of plants, herbs, and flowers were set on the window sills. Silk curtains flicked gently in the humid breeze.

A large bronze pot filled with water and flowers set in the middle. Two rows of beddings for patients. The smell of the place was thick with natural herbs. We saw a few soldiers sleeping while the nurses were tending to them.

Then the two young boys came running towards us.

"Has anybody gotten their head busted already?" one of the twins asked almost in excitement. They wore white tunics with gleaming crests on their breasts. The crests were two snakes curled around ivy flowers —a symbol of medicine. Each of the twins carried large silk bags dangling over their shoulders, and they also smelled of sweet herbs.

"No, boys," the Guru said. "I brought our new friend over to see the place just in case."

The twins looked at each other then laughed.

"Welcome here, anytime and any day," one of the boys said.

"Hope it's not soon," the other added. Sambo turned to us.

"These two young lads, Romany and Romanir, avatars of the twin gods, are the ones in charge of the Aswins House. Feel free to have all sorts of treatment whenever you like."

I still had trouble telling the brothers apart.

"Let us examine the stranger one of these days," one of the twins said, "to learn if she is skilled in games and can show us any feats. She is not any sense ill-built, just a bit pale in complexion."

"Yes, that would be wise, thank you," Sambo said. "Before I leave you, children, I have prepared our newcomer's training schedule." He handed me a scroll made of cow skin. "Any question you might harbor, you shall ask your friends. Now I must go and attend the meeting with the Queens."

The Guru left. I held the scroll up to unroll it. I realized I was actually illiterate.

"I don't understand it."

"No worries," Tepi said and took the scroll from me. "You are going to train with us."

"I'm starving," Atith said. "It's almost time our lunch is served."

"Well, I have a few errands that need my attention, I shall see you soon after," Vorac said and then turned to leave, too.

"Wait, Vorac," Tusita said, catching the girl's hand. "You know the holy game is coming our way. Would you do me a favor and join our team?"

"I must think it over," she said, "but it depends on my mood."

"How about I help you think fast and hard?"

Vorac glared at her then turned away again, but before she left, their eyes met briefly. The two girls seemed to have some sort of hidden relation although they kept their act. Tusita followed suit.

"Don't wait for me!" Tusita said to us and went after Vorac.

Tepi groaned. "Every time they meet, it's like bunnies in a full moon."

"Only they would call it 'honeymoon'," Atith chuckled. "I believe Tusita has some good diplomacy, so let her be."