Chapter 36

The next day, as soon as my carriage reached the Great Temple, I could hear boisterous voices echoed through the air. I looked out through the small window and spotted a shouting Vorac. She was running down the stone path towards us.

"Where were you last night, Nikita?!" she cried. "We went to your chamber but you weren't there!" Her face was creased with urgency and irritation. The avatar girl roughly parted the doorway curtain on my side and pulled me out of my seat so fast, my head spun.

Kesar stepped out of the carriage afterward. She didn't fly out today and decided to accompany me to my training. She promised to catch up with us later.

"What's wrong?" I asked her warily as we started to walk faster. I wondered if I had spoiled her morning mood for being late. She looked like she wanted to punch somebody in the gut.

"Today we shall have a battle practice!" Vorac said through her clenched teeth. "A battle practice before the game day! How ridiculous!"

"Huh?" I said. "What are you talking about? Where are the others?"

"In the armory getting ready," she told me. "All because of Issarak and his nonsense! He implored the Queens to move the day of our battle duel so that they can measure the progress of our training. If we lose the first round to him and his mates, it shall bring us so much shame!"

"Am I included?"

"Oh yes, sadly so as our teammate. I wish I could strangle that Murugan's son!" she said in disgust. "His thirst for a good fight with us is unquenchable. The Guru shouldn't have let him talk the Queens into his theme. I bet he did that just to put us in humiliation, knowing that your progress is still painstakingly slow."

"Well, thank you for informing me of my poor performance."

"Sorry, Nikita, I did not mean to taunt you," Vorac let out a sigh as she seemed to calm down a bit. "Now we need to get you weapon and armors before it starts."

With that, she pulled me along by the elbow. We ran through the encampment.

We reached the armory and got inside through the secret passage. Everything within the immense cavern was luminous— from the high vaulted ceiling glowing above and down to the shining corridors.

"Is there going to be some killing?" I asked worriedly while we trotted to another section of the complex.

"No, but accidents do happen." She shrugged back. I just wanted to tell her that wasn't a comforting answer at all. Then I saw my other avatar friends standing there, discussing something.

"Oh, holy sweet godlings," I breathed as I gawked at them. Their warrior appearances were dazzling and heroic and beautiful.

Atith let his golden armor vest exposed without any more covering. It was thickly crest and shining. Tepi and Tusita were dressed completely in gold, golden vambraces and armbands adorned their lean but strong limbs. Their slender shoulders were aided by golden pauldrons with belts strapped down their small frames.

Together they stood handsomely in their battle outfits like the version of their divine parents. I looked at Atith, who appeared in all his resplendent glory. His golden spear sparkled and glowed even more so. Samudra stepped out from the dark corner. His long hair was pulled into a neat bun. A large crested set of bronze armor encased his entire upper body, protecting his neck and his broad chest.

Tusita was holding her hundred-bossed celestial bow with a quiver latched onto her back. Vorac went up to them. I watched in awe as a whizz of glittering golden mist swirled around her, manifesting a set of silvery armor around her elegant form.

I kept staring at everyone with open mouth. Tepi walked towards me. She was almost intimidating even with her kind face.

"You can't go out there with no protection, Nikita," she said and handed me a set of custom-made combat gears. They were made mostly of tough leather with gold rims. Each part was designed to fit my modern outfits.

"If you're called upon to the battle, this shall protect you," she told me.

I gulped dryly and accepted the gift.

"Don't worry." Tusita stepped forward. "We're going to duel on your behalf. You should be fine."

"I can't wait to beat the stuffing out of Issarak this time," Atith said, cracking his knuckles. "I have had enough with that fellow."

"Then I pray you won't end up in the Aswin House again, Atith," Tusita said.

"Aw...you know he relied on trickery!" he protested. "Last time, I was not prepared for his mischief and fell under his dirty hands."

"What happened?" I asked.

"We had some bad losses in the past," Tepi said. "The last duel we had with them didn't end well for our side."

"What if they call me into a fight?" I said.

Everyone looked at me. I knew they had done everything in their powers to protect me, but if the gods wanted me in the battle, I might as well brace myself for the worst. Without another delay, the avatars helped me into my armor. I had an armor vest strapped around my chest for the first time. It almost suffocated me to death. At least, it was lighter than I had expected. Tusita and Vorac fastened the vambraces around my forearms and shins. We heard the conchs blew, which signaled the arrival of the King and Queens. Then the bronze gongs went off as a sign to gather the duelists, who were divided evenly into two opposing teams. Issarak, Morokot, and Ravi along with their other members were already on the wide-open field waiting for us.

We gathered in front of the Main Pavilion. A moment later, we saw the flowing golden tunics of the King and his second Queen. They were surrounded by royal members, ministers, and generals. But I didn't see Queen Jayara with them. The palace maidens prepared golden bowls of fruit and juices in beaten silver goblets to serve the audience.

Everything was being done in a haste. Obviously, this event was also as unexpected to everyone as it was to me. All thanks to Issarak.

Then my eyes caught a flashing small crown, and hair that lit like sleek raven's feathers in the sun. The glints of her golden dress sparkled as Amarisa emerged. Her long flowing lock was tied back, swaying between her shapely shoulder blades as she entered with her parents.

She was small to spot but hard to miss. Her presence made my heart melt in adoration but also filled it with nervousness.

All I could think of was how I could impress my princess and still manage to stay in one piece. Amarisa settled down onto the seat next to her King Father. She exchanged pleasantries with the others before her eyes drifted around the field as if to look for someone.

Then our eyes locked, I gave her a discreet smile to indicate our meeting.

Instead, I saw a worried look on her face.

Then the drums and trumpets sounded.

"It's starting," Tepi said as she came to stand beside me.

The Brahmin priests lifted their ancient conchs and blew them in deep echoing moans, silencing the noises of the crowds. The King rose from his seat and addressed his subjects.

"Respected children of Meru gods, my honor to open your duels once again," he said. His voice was strong yet compassionate, carrying resonation of a unique leader, a Devaraja or a god-king. "I pray to the Three Great Lords, and all the gods residing in heavens for their divine blessing. May the battle be fought in fairness and bravery. For the glory of our land and in honor of your holy parents, let the battle begins."

"Long live the King and Queens! Long live the holy kingdom!" chanted the soldiers in unison. Their swords clang against their shields and their spears hit the ground in a vigorous rhythm.

A cold chill crept over my spine. My palms felt sweaty. For the first time, I knew the weight of their expectation. Their sole hope was placed heavily upon this group of children and most of all—it was placed on me.