Chapter 58

Relief flooded my chest. I smiled and burrowed myself in my mother's bosom again. She kissed the crown of my head.

"Mother, you're not angry or upset with us, are you?" I asked her.

"It's not a common thing indeed, but our culture believes if two women take each other as a spouse, it is because they were fated lovers from their past lives, and no one shall interrupt the harmony of their union."

I looked at her in gratitude. It meant so much that she accepted it wholeheartedly.

"Now, I know why my father is still in love with you. He never wishes to marry another woman," I murmured. I could almost see her smile. The elder Queen was thinking about her future husband. A man she had never met. Although we were not biologically related in this lifetime, I felt like we were already mother and daughter in heart and spirit. 

"He must be a great man."

"He is. I don't know what happened to him after I ended up here, mother," I said. "A part of me wants to go back, but another part of me wants to stay."

"Sweet child, I wish I could revoke my words so that the Fate would spare you."

"Don't blame yourself anymore, mother," I wiped away her tears that streamed down her cheeks. "At least, I have found you again, and it is all that matters to me."  

I remembered the day my father told me my mother had passed away, I climbed onto the maple tree and waited for the moon to shine. I stayed there all day into an early twilight. The trees were silent. At dusk, my father came at the foot of the tree and waited until I came down. Then he and I slept under the tree all night yet the moon did not shine.

I wondered how my father would feel if he knew I had found her again in a realm far beyond our own.

I stayed content in her arms and felt the love that I had been craving the most for all those years.

When I was younger, my mom and I used to sleep outside watching the full moon together in our backyard. There was a true birdsong with trills and warbles. We lay beneath the canopy of leafy branches of a Cypress for the longest time, staring at the moonrise and twinkling stars.

That night, Queen Jayara, my past mother, tried to explain to me the theory of rebirth and reincarnation. She had told me that the boundaries of the afterlife were like the stars in daytime. Just because I can't see them during the day, it doesn't mean they aren't there in the sky. Reincarnations are the same. Your true essence travels through time and space, going in and out of form as part of the cosmic energy. In one life, you are a man. In other, you are a woman. Just as when a star dies, a new one is born. In the mortal world, our fates are like threads perfectly entwined like a cobweb, and only the spider knows its design.

"We are merely passing by and when we have finished one lifetime, we move onto another—sometimes greater, sometimes lesser depending on our Karma."

"Mother, please tell no one about the secret of my birth," I said, pulling away from her warm embrace, "especially, Amarisa. I don't want her to know of my terrible curse."

My mother looked pained.

"I don't know how long we could hide such a heavy truth," she sighed. "Her mother is a wise woman, and her father loves her beyond words. I can't decide what they should and shouldn't do in regard to our only girl, but surely, I promise you, Nikita, this is just between you and me."