Chapter 67

The following days were reserved for the preparation of the next quest. I wanted to spend my time with Amarisa as much as I could, but we hardly found our moments alone. The King and Queens were in the city. Amarisa was always chaperoned and brought along with them wherever they went.

My avatar friends also needed me to be briefed before the upcoming game. The only time I could be with my princess was during my art class at the Dance Hall and our private meeting at the Asoak Garden.

One morning in the garden, when the golden sun rose high above the palm trees, Amarisa and I laid on the soft grass together by the water. We watched wild birds hurling worms into their nests. All around us were sweet-scented flowerbeds. Amarisa rested beside me as I got my arms around her. I could feel her soft breath against the base of my neck. Then she rose and moved over to look right into my eyes.

"You seem different," she said, running her fingertips over my temple and down my jawline.

"Different how?" I said. Amarisa stroked my shoulders as though she was smoothing over fine silk.

"Your eyelids are colored like dawn sky." I closed my eyes as she leaned over and planted a kiss on each of them. Then she traced a finger over my nose and down to my mouth. "Your lips, soft as clouds, and I can't tell you how tempting they are to me."

"Then just kiss them," I said.

Amarisa giggled. Her stomach quivered. She leaned in and I felt her lips on mine, but she pulled away again, leaving me cold and yearning. I opened my eyes to see to marvel at her face.

"You always looked lovely then and radiant still, but now it is like bright sunlight broke and poured over your skin," she said. "I've always noticed how your hair would catch the wind and fly like buoyant wheat. I don't think I have ever told you how that had startled me and captivated me the first time I saw you."

I smiled at Amarisa.

"So you already fell in love with me back then?" I asked. "How fast!"

She slapped my arm with a look.

"Well, who wouldn't?" she said. "You're quite a charmer. But I am glad that I'm the only one who has claimed you as mine."

She was meaning to tease me good-naturedly, but it still caused my stomach to roll and turn to knots. The reaction, however so slight, wasn't missed by the observant princess.

"What's wrong, Nikita?" She frowned, wondering if she had said something wrong. I forced a tight smile to ease her worries.

"Nothing," I said with a shake of my head. "You're just so beautiful."

Amarisa smiled again. I pulled her face to me then crashed our mouths in a hard kiss. It was the only way I could rid my mind of the guilt that prickled my skin like icy pins.

The princess melted into me as our tongues found each other. I drank in her sweet taste and still craved more. My lips searched for all the delicious places that could satisfy me, her neck, her lips, her chest, yet it still wasn't enough.

"I want you, Amarisa," I whispered through my feverish kisses. "I want more of you."

I rolled her onto her back and kissed the span of her exposed throat. My lips tasted the milky skin of her breasts. Amarisa was trembling, struggling with internal conflicts that bubbled within her.

"Nikita...wait," she breathed. I moved down to her smooth belly.

Her skin was as sweet as spring honey, fresh and inviting, and I was the desperate bee that craved her nectar.

The change in her breathing emboldened me. I slipped my hands to her legs. Her chest rose and fell with each quickened intake of air.

"Please?" I whispered.

I eased her thighs apart and wedged myself between them. I felt her warmth against my stomach even as she was still fully clothed. The heat of desire burned my body with urgent needs.

Amarisa whimpered softly and trembled from underneath me. Blood rushed through my veins like wildfires. Slowly, my hands worked their ways into her long skirt. I rolled the hem up, revealing those shapely legs.

As soon as I started to unfasten the belt that wound around her fine dress, she reached for my hands.

"No, Nikita...not yet!" Amarisa cried out.

"But why, Amarisa?" I whispered.

"Please, my love, understand me. I can't do that, not now," the princess replied. She tugged my hands away from her dress.

"I love you, Amarisa, what is there to wait for?" I said. "You said I would have anything I ask. Now, I want you!"

"Yes, yes, my dearest, I remember I told you so," Amarisa said. "But you must be patient. I am not ready, not now and not here."

"Then we can go to my chamber if you must," I said, "unless you don't want me."

"No! Nikita, it's not that at all!" Amarisa reached her arms out and embraced me, stroking my face and brushing back my disarrayed hair. "I always wonder how it was that, of all the girls in the world, I have been chosen for this incredible bliss. I just want it to be a special time between you and me." She smiled softly again. "Will you wait a little longer, my darling heart, until the game is over and you shall have my world?"

"Will you promise me?"

"Yes, I do promise you," Amarisa said and pulled me into another kiss.

Later we separated, peeling away from each other's skin again. Our faces flushed hotly. Our lips were puffy from kissing. We both looked up into the sky and saw the clouds drifting by.

"I don't know how to pleasure you yet," Amarisa whispered afterward. "But I can't wait for that moment to happen. I trust you, Nikita, and that is more important, do you understand?"

I couldn't find any word to answer her. Our hands lay side by side, barely touching. I saw Amarisa starting to reach over with her tapered fingers, nails as fine as sea-smoothed pearls, and I reached my hand halfway to catch it. For the longest time, we lay there holding each other's hands — the only intimacy of our craving hearts.

We stayed in the garden until dusk began to fall, turning the clouds purple and pink.