Chapter 85

That night after we returned to my chamber, Amarisa and I stayed quiet in bed side by side. We both were obviously thinking about the Naga King's warning, but of course, none of us would let each other know.

"Are you weary?" Amarisa spoke softly to me. There was something in her tone, strained and edgy.

"I am," I said but my mind was clear and my eyes were wide open.

"Then I shall leave you to your rest," she said. The silence reigned on. The only sounds I heard was of hooting owls from a distance. I remained quiet. Then all my thoughts were scattered away when Amarisa pulled back the covers. The princess moved over and laid her body atop me.

I felt the warmth of her skin on mine. There was an untamed wildness when we looked at each other.

"Amarisa..." I breathed.

I felt a slow heat coursing through my body. She rested her head against the nook of my neck, and we lay like that for a moment.

I closed my eyes and waited, wishing us both would fall asleep, but when my gaze drifted back to Amarisa, she was looking up at me.

Her cheeks were ruddy bright. A wildfire seemed to gleam through her eyes. My gaze narrowed to her coral-red lips as they parted lusciously, revealing the white set of even teeth like fine strung pearls. Her breasts rose and fell as she breathed. I swallowed the lump in my throat, but it wouldn't go away.

"We should sleep," I whispered again, but my voice was a little shaky. Without a response, Amarisa's soft hand went to my chest, nestling through my open collars and unbuttoning my shirt—at first awkwardly as she had never handled such clothing, but soon she succeeded in peeling the fabric off my skin. My breath hitched. I felt her hand slipping further down, and I bit my lips.

"Nikita," she whispered in my ear. Her breath was hot on my skin.

Her lithe fingers slithered over the quickened rise and fall of my breasts and down to my belly.

"Amarisa...please..." I pleaded although I did not know what I was begging for.

My princess's face flushed hot against my skin. Her body with no usual ornament but her own charms pressed softly against me. I could feel her heart beating like an excited bird in spring. Her delicate hands stroked my stomach as though smoothing the finest silk.

The heat was stirring and burning from my core as I lay unmoving. Desires soared through my body, drawing out a suppressed moan from my throat. When she reached my weakness, hot and wanting, I gasped and looked at her face in surprise. Amarisa watched me as I trembled. She seemed curious and fascinated by my reaction.

The princess began to realize how to pleasure me. I felt hollow like a flute waiting for the musician to make it sound.

But I could not let this go on.

"No, Your Highness, we can't do this," I said and reached for her hand, easing it away from me. Amarisa's shimmering eyes lingered on my face as though she was shocked by my rejection.

I was also ashamed of myself. Wordlessly, she turned her face away from me and lay back onto the bed. She must be hurt and embarrassed, but I didn't know what to say, and we spoke no more.

~*~

I awoke from my sleep when the morning birds started chirping. I realized Amarisa had left me without a word. On her pillow was a tear-stain that tore at my heart like a gash of a fresh wound.

The first day of Sankranta, the Lunar New Year, had arrived. The kingdom had a three-day celebration. The trumpets and gongs were blown and struck all over the city.