Chapter 25

After the Queen was gone, Amarisa twirled around to look at me with furious eyes. I blinked back at the princess blankly, not knowing why she seemed so angry.

"What did you do to my mother?" she hissed, storming back towards me. I recoiled on my seat and stared at her in confusion.

"I did nothing!"

"Yes, you did! You lied!"

"What?" I said. "No! Your Highness, I swear I didn't—"

But Amarisa already turned her face away and called out the name that caused my hair to stand on end. "Malis!"

I gasped.

"Oh no, no! Please, don't call her!" I begged, putting my palms together. My eyes nervously darted around in panic, but Amarisa didn't comply.

Kesar and the others also stared at us in alarm.

Then we heard a powerful growl from another room. Malis appeared through the curtained doorway. Her back almost brushed the top of the doorframe. The beast trotted into the hall like a circus tiger. Her whiskers twitched, and her horribly sharp teeth bared. When Malis saw me, she gave a throaty hiss that sent me screaming and crawling out of my seat in fright.

As if the big cat already knew what her mistress wanted, she jumped over with her floaty striped body towards me. A frightened high-pitch cry escaped my lips again. Those bright orange eyes never left me. The giant tiger growled. I yelped and jumped around the hall, almost causing a stampede among the palace maids. The Mohoris and Mahoras also scurried away from my path as I threw everyone into a fit of chaos.

"Your Highness, please!" I cried, stumbling my way through the Apsaras. "I swear I did not lie about anything!"

I tripped and fell to the floor but continued to crawl on all four to a corner. The tiger leaped after me again.

"Oh dear!" I cried. Out of nowhere, Kesar came to place herself in front of me. Her arms wrapped around my body as if to shield me from the beast.

"Princess, please forgive my lady," Kesar pleaded. "I believe it wasn't in her nature to speak the untruth."

"Kesar, help me!" I said and burrowed myself into my maiden in fear.

Amarisa's sparkling black eyes burned and for a moment I didn't understand what made her even more furious.

"Malis, get over here!" she finally said, but her eyes still glared at me. The giant tiger turned her fat furry head away from us at last. I was able to breathe again.

Malis leaped back and circled herself around the princess then sat down.

Amarisa looked at us in disdain then wheeled on her heels and strode out of the hall. The rest of the maidens and dancers quickly followed after her.

I sat there, panting in after-shock. Kesar wiped the panic sweats off my forehead. Everyone else began to exit the house one by one, leaving us alone.

"Kesar, I didn't lie," I said again.

"I know, my lady, I know," she said.

~*~

The next day, I went back to my training as usual. Although the King and Queens didn't attend, we still had a chariot race at the Elephant Terrace. But my heart wasn't in it.

Atith and Tusita took me to the stable where the horses were being harnessed to the chariots.

There I saw four huge fiery-white horses before a golden chariot. Atith walked up to them. The horses had golden hooves with golden manes and hot amber eyes. When they neighed, their breath was fire.