Chapter 4

I sat on the trunk of a fallen tree not far away from the main tents. The digging site was visible to my right and I could still see the spiral. With my drawing pad in hand, I sketched an image of the ancient discus in a 3-D form. But then I noticed something strange about it. The first ring came with the biggest snakehead, the second ring had a smaller one, so did the third until the seventh ring. But they laid in various positions.

After I finished shading over the outlines, it drew my attention even more. The carvings on every stone looked like some kind of a jigsaw puzzle. On each circle, certain curves seemed unfinished or cut off where they should have been continued. I stared hard at the penciled features and then a shock jolted me up to my feet.

Right! Those patterns were a complete picture!

"Dad!" I yelled, scanning around the area for him. Then I saw him with Dr. Ivan at the other corner of the area, discussing something. I picked up my brown satchel and ran over to them.

"Dad! Dr. Ivan! I think I see some clue on the spiral!" I cried.

Once I reached them, I held my drawing up to their noses.

"Oh wow, easy there, nice drawing, Nikita," Dr. Ivan said, looking at it blankly. "But what is it again?"

"You know, when I drew this, I just realized the patterns actually matched each other," I said, poking at the drawing again and again. "Can you see it? Can you see it?"

"Honey, slow down and tell us what you're getting at," Dad said. Unlike most grown-up, Dad always listens to what I have to say. I grabbed his wrist and towed him along towards a refreshment table and put my finished work down.

"You notice this carving right here?" I said, pointing to the raised part of a stone on the first ring. "It looks like the scales of a snake and the same with the other stone down here but at a different angle!"

Dr. Ivan squinted his eyes as he stared at the drawing.

"You wouldn't see it clearly on the stone, but in the drawing, well..." he commented, scratching his white beard with a thoughtful look. "I guess you're right, little one."

"Yes! The spiral is like the inside of a clock rotating," I said. "All you have to do is just imagine those rings rotate back into their original positions. When all the seven rings are aligned, it would reveal a hidden image of a snake!"

"A Naga," Dad corrected. "A seven-headed Naga symbolizes timelessness and immortality. The Nagas are also guardians of sacred entrances."

"So does it mean the spiral is some kind of an entrance?" I asked.

"Possibly," he said.

"Well, but the problem is the spiral can't be moved," Dr. Ivan sighed. "We've tried."

"You forgot one thing, Doctor," Dad said. "The Moonstone."

The Moonstone was the key to unlocking some hidden mechanism inside the spiral.

"Did you take it out before you tried to move the spiral?" I asked.

"Yeah," the man said, looking guilty. "I didn't think of it that way at that time."

No wonder why the rings couldn't be rotated because he took it out.

"How about we put the Moonstone back into the hole and see if it will cause any movement to this ancient relic?" I said.

"Chandramoki Moni is a precious stone. Many people want to get their hands on it," Dr. Ivan lowered his voice as if to avoid someone from eavesdropping. "I don't want too many people to know about the crystal ball. We have to return it to the National Museum as soon as possible."