Chapter 15

Kesar opened the chamber door to find me dripping with water.

"Oh Meru gods!" she gasped, staring at my disheveled hair and wet clothes. "What has put you in such a state?"

"I fell," I said.

"You fell?" Her brows rose at me.

"Well, yes...into a po...pond."

"Oh my lady, I was so worried!" Kesar breathed. "Where have you been?"

"Sorry," I mumbled. "I was just out for some fresh air in the garden."

"Please come inside and get yourself changed," she said.

Once we reached the bedroom, I shrugged off my bag. Kesar brought me a dry towel. I dried myself and untangled my messy hair.

"You smelled of familiar fragrance, my lady," Kesar noticed.

"Oh yes, probably from the garden, I guess," I said with an awkward smile.

Kesar simply nodded and came forward to unbutton my shirt. I felt as if the encounter with the mysterious maiden had drained me. I was numb and tired. My mind wandered back to the beautiful maiden inside the bathhouse. I had expected the guards to come and arrest me after that, but no one came. Then I found my way back to the chamber with a hollow heart.

Kesar stole a glance at me.

"Are you well, my lady?" she asked, noticing my silence.

"What? Oh yes, I'm fine," I said, but I had no clues how I was feeling. Everything seemed so hazy in my mind.

"You don't seem so to me," Kesar said.

"How can you tell?" I asked.

"You don't protest my help as you normally do."

"Oh," I said and pulled away from her. "Sorry, Kesar, I can do it."

"Do you need anything? Tea perhaps?"

"Kesar, do you believe in love at first sight?" I found myself asking.

She looked up at me with those big eyes. But then the door of my bedroom burst open. My head lifted from Kesar's face and saw Tepi walking in with Tusita. They looked at me and Kesar.

"Oh good lord! It has come to that, hasn't it?" Tusita said then grinned at Tepi. "I told you. She is indeed like me regarding our passion for women."

Tepi just rolled her eyes back.

"The feast has started," she simply said to me. "We came here to bring you with us."

"I will be ready soon," I said.

"Take your time." Tusita waved her hand. "I'm sure you will bring quite a delight to the maidens here."

"Ex...excuse me?"

Then we heard a gong in a distance.

"It's time," Tepi said. "Do make haste."

My stomach did a somersault. I had a feeling that something was going to change after tonight.

We marched past the Main Pavilion towards the Throne Hall. In front of the entrance set two large human figures with lion heads kneeling by the foot of the stone staircase. When we stepped inside, the priests appeared and blew their conchs three times. A dozen maidens ushered us to our assigned seats.

The hall was huge with colossal wooden pillars and a tall ceiling. The floor was laid in silver tiles.

There were paintings and statues of women everywhere. Burning torches and lanterns illuminated each corner of the palace. At the center, they had a fire hearth that burned within a big bronze lotus-shaped brazier.