Chapter 84

At night as I lay in bed, I ran my fingers over Amarisa's letter. In the dark, I could not read the words, but I could feel them. When I learned that sorrow had struck the love of my life, it struck me harder. I tried to tell myself that it would pass, but it felt like an eternity.

The night hours grew shorter, yet sleep wouldn't come and take me away from this troubling world. Maybe it was because I knew somewhere in a place filled with heavenly flowers, someone was waiting for me.

I couldn't stand it anymore and with a defeated sigh, I rose and got dressed.

The moon was frail as the edge of a fingernail in the sky. I walked against cold winds that sent shadows scampering on the ground. When I reached the gate of the Asoak Garden, I paused.

Should I turn back or go forward?

I stood contemplating this for a while. But at last, I stepped on the fertile soil again. The flower patch stretched deeper into the garden. My feet trembled beneath me as I had taken great care to be quiet.

I would just take a peek at my princess to see if she was still there. I wanted to know if she was alright and then I would leave.

The drumming of my anxious heart reverberated in my ears.

Walking towards the familiar boulder, I glimpsed the sight of my lover.

She was truly there, all alone and waiting. I decided to hide behind a knot of shrubs.

How I wished I could caress that dark hair again, hair that looked like silk dipped in black ink. I missed seeing her face the most.

Amarisa stood in silence. She had a long scarf about her shoulders, but I could still see her shivering. Beside her, the orange-coated Malis, sleeping by the boulder.

I wanted to run to her and hold her in my arms, but I had to refrain myself, or my plan would be for nothing.

Then she rose and went past the flowerbeds to the pond. I gasped and almost stepped out of my hiding, but something stopped me.

A sound from somewhere. The more I listened to it, the clearer it became. It seemed to echo from the depth of the water.

I sensed an unknown being lingering near. The feeling in the air was thick like a fog. I could have been wrong to assume that someone would be there with her, but I waited and listened.

Amarisa was now kneeling by the bank.

"Not even the sunrise shall end my wait," she spoke in scratchy voice to no one. "Has she lost her heart to someone else? Will she be merciful to come and release me from this torment?"

I held my breath. My chest tightened with pain. I wished I could comfort her in my arms and chase away all her sorrow with my kisses.

"Please answer me, Lord Father, are all her feelings gone? She told me I was her earth and her moon, but now I saw conflicts in her eyes when she looked at me. Tell me what I have done wrong."

Tears welled up in my eyes as I watched her bemoaning herself in this manner. Then something strange happened. The still water began to ripple. Amarisa seemed to be speaking to someone beyond my line of sight.

Did the princess expect her queries to be heard by someone?

I felt like a bird caught in the snare of curiosity and trapped by a craving heart.

Amarisa extended her dainty hand to touch the surface of the water. Suddenly, she recoiled as if seeing a strange sight. Then there was a green mist bubbling out of the surface.