Chapter 45

After Amarisa had left, I tried to find Kesar, but she had disappeared. Then my avatar friends came to my chamber. I was relieved for I couldn't imagine what they would think if they ever saw the princess here. They were delighted to see me again, and I finally let them come and sit with me in the living room.

"So how are you feeling, Nikita?" Tepi asked with concerns.

"I'm fine now. There is no need to worry," I said with a bright smile.

"Your skin seems to glow," Vorac mused, noticing my improvement. "I should have asked for such remedy from the twins, too."

"You don't need that," Tusita said and gave her a playful shoulder nudge. "We know the symptoms of Kama's poison. I bet you a hundred gold coins that this girl is in love."

My eyes widened in shock.

"W...what?" I stuttered alarmingly.

"Oh, tell no lie, Nikita," she said. "Everyone knows."

"Everyone knows about what?" I began to panic.

"Enough of that, Tusita!" Tepi said, giving her friend a scowl. "You're not helping her recovering."

Tusita burst out laughing.

"For heaven's sake, our brave Nikita here actually caused a wave of heartache among the maidens after the fight," she said. "Did you not see when she was out cold and everyone was so worried? Even Queen Jayara was troubled out of her wits."

Vorac nodded in agreement.

"You didn't know how much you have affected our emotions during the duel."

"But I lost," I said, confused.

"Yes, you lost your fight, but you won our hearts," Tusita said.

"Issarak couldn't beat the fame and favor we have gained because of you, Nikita," Vorac added in agreement.

I was surprised to hear that.

"And how is everything at the encampment now?" I turned to ask.

"We're taking a short break from the training," Tepi said. "The King and Queens have gone to Isanapura, one of the old capital cities. They would stay there for another three days. But once they are back, the rest of the avatars shall start their routines as usual."

"Am I still welcome to join you?"

"Of course, Nikita, what are you speaking of?" Tusita said with a frown. "You are the sole fame of our team!"

"The Prophesied Child or not, you're still our good friend as the fate would deem it so, Nikita," Tepi said with a kind smile.

I was touched by their words.

"Thank you, everyone," I said in gratitude. "I feel blessed that the gods handed me a circle of great companions like you."

"Likewise." They smiled back.

"So what are you going to do in your spare moments?" Tusita asked. "Atith sent words that we should invite you to the festival beyond the city walls. You can come if you wish."

"Oh, I would love to, but I have to decline for my body still feel sore in parts," I lied. "I would rather take a little rest here."

I definitely didn't want to miss my chance to be with the princess alone tonight. Tusita squinted her eyes at me as I twiddled the stray thread on the rug.

"That is fine," Tepi said. "We won't bother you anymore. I bid you take good care of yourself."

"Yes, I will."