Chapter 72

I tried to hold my breath for as long as I could. Air escaped from my nose in bursting bubbles from time to time.

I thought I was going to drown and die, but Charavan swam back to the surface again. I took in a big gasp of life-saving air.

My eyes were blurred from the rushing water. I shook my head and brushed my hand roughly over my face. All around us was no longer the river. The sounds of waves crashing onto the shore filled my ears, and the taste of the water was salty.

"We are at the sea?" I gasped.

Charavan went swiftly towards the beach. He climbed like a gecko over the black jagged rocks that surrounded the white sand. I clung to his back until he stopped, and I got off.

The waves were lit with luminous plankton. The coast was long and white with sparkling powdery sand. It was truly an outlandish place.

The sea breeze blew past me and I shivered. I walked in my damp clothes and water-filled boots. Charavan followed me from behind. There were several big smooth rocks along the shore.

"This must be where the mermaid queen appears," I whispered to Charavan. We waited together under the shadow of a flowering tree.

The wind grew colder, and I wished I had the fire to warm my freezing hands. After a long while later, my eyes became heavy and began to draw close. I tried not to nod off and opened them again. But then I saw someone occupied one of the rocks.

It was a maiden by the look of it. Her long black hair cascaded over her incredibly smooth back. Her skin shone like a pale moon. But what struck me the most was the sight of her glowing fishtail. It was so beautiful, it made my heart falter. The scales were golden in color and sparkled like a thousand coins.

"Sovannmacha!" I gasped then turned to Charavan. "You must hide somewhere and wait for me, good lad."

Charavan quickly moved away from the tree and went back into the water. I decided I was going to talk to her in a civilized manner and slowly came out from my hiding place.

As I composed myself and strode soundlessly over the sand, a voice seemed to whisper to me.

Seize her.

I stopped in my track and tried to look around myself, but the voice seemed to come from inside my head. My hands trembled at my sides.

The rock she was sitting on was adorned with water flowers that spread from the beach. To my amazement, the golden-tailed mermaid began to sing. The song was nothing I had ever heard. It was from another world, ancient and soul-gripping.

Her melodious voice stole the breath from my lungs. My heart skipped its rhythm. I didn't know how to move again. Then the mermaid involuntarily turned and saw me standing there, staring at her. Her eyes widened in shock. The shock was replaced by a look of annoyance and anger. She turned away and was about to jump back into the water when I raised my hands up to stop her.

"Sovannmacha, wait!" I said. "I did not come here to harm you."

"Who are you?" she asked, looking back at me. "How did you get here?"

"Samudra, son of Varuna, the Sea God, is my good friend," I said as calmly as I could manage. "My name is Nikita."

"You are the one my fishes always babbling about?"

I did not expect that, but I couldn't help feel flattered that she had heard of me.

"That is probably me, my lady." I smiled and bowed to her. "And I am here to ask you for a favor."