Forty-Two: Late Night Kisses †

Start from the beginning

"Yeah," exhaled Jason, "I am."

I leaned my head up, examining his expression. It was almost impassive. He dipped his head, gazing down at me. "Why? What about your family?"

He shook his head. "They're travelling – a holiday."

"Oh."

I contorted my face a little whilst simultaneously resting my cheek back down against Jason 's chest. He was left silent after my question and when I finally sat up again, letting his arm fall slightly, he stared at me enquiringly.

"Can I ask you something?"

"Is it about my family?" he retorted, leaning up onto his elbows, his biceps flexing massively.

I attempted not to stare too much. "No."

"Then ask away."

"What does this make us?" I asked diffidently.

Jason, looking suddenly awkward, sat up properly and gestured for his lap. He had his legs crossed so I perched in the spaces between his knees. I kept my hands in my lap since my legs were wrapped languidly around his waist.

"Can I be honest now then?"

I nodded, trying to conceal the disappointment that I was feeling. Not many good things could start with "Can I be honest now then?" at all. I could tell that Jason sensed my dismal mood because he snaked his arms around my waist and clutched his hands together at the back.

"I don't want to rush right into it. I know I've said I couldn't wait to kiss you, but I don't want to immediately label us as boyfriend and girlfriend."

"Can I ask why then?" I mused aloud.

Jason sighed, leaning forward and pressing his forehead against mine. "Because I don't want people to say things – especially about you. I'd rather wait until the spring semester because we consider us dating," he elucidated.

"So are you saying we're not exclusive to one another? We'd be free to kiss other people because you know, I'm not comfortable with that," I interjected, licking my lips and trying to decipher what the implications of what he was saying were.

Shaking his head manically, he protested, "No, definitely not. If you think I'm saying that to kiss other girls then you're sorely mistaken. I don't want to do that. I just mean, we can act like we're dating, but we're not labelling ourselves. Not yet, anyway."

Feeling a little better now, I nodded. Jason leaned up and kissed my cheek softly. When he pulled back, for once there was an earnest smile toying at his lips. There was a smile already forming at my lips just by staring at him. He was certainly dreamy.

Everything about Jason was handsome in some undeniable way. He played soccer so he was fit and athletic which is what I prefer. His hair was a dirty blonde/light brown colour and he could style it diverse ways and I'd still be enticed by him. His eyes were honey coloured, somewhat like his personality: sweet. And the dog chains just added to his whole perception.

"So, how did your parents let you escape?" he questioned, something else in his tone which I couldn't fathom.

"I told them my roommate was sick so they let me come back. They told me to tell Johanna that they wish she gets better soon," I replied, fairly proud of coming up with such a lame excuse but having it be effectual.

"If I had you in my arms, I'd never let you go," Jason whispered, tightening his grip around my waist.

Jason leaned back, hauling me with him. Our lips brushed unintentionally against one another's as Jason landed back on the bed, me on top of him and his weight on top of my feet under his back. He leaned up slightly, his lips on my neck, teasing me as I took the opportunity to yank my feet from under his weight. He dropped again and his lips left my neck. A shudder ran through me.

His hands were now running up and down my sides as somehow, we were kissing again but more hungrily this time. Our tongues were caressing one another's and my hands were next to his head on the bed, enabling me to support my own weight. His body shifted underneath me, rubbing against mine and I groaned a little.

Jason broke apart instantaneously. "I have your Christmas present."

My shoulders sagged. "Every time you say that you make me feel guiltier for not getting you anything," I whined.

Sitting up, Jason reached out to his cupboard and pulled out a present. It wasn't large, but it wasn't small, either. It was scruffily wrapped up as if it had been done in haste. Nonetheless, the penguin wrapping paper was very cute.

Beginning to slowly unwrap it, Jason observed with avid eyes when it turned out to be a teddy bear. I laughed at the site of it, my insides swarming with contentment. The teddy was actually what looked like a baby bunny rabbit, the ears down and wide-eyed.

"It's so cute," I breathed, gawping down at it in awe.

"What's around his neck?" questioned Jason.

Without staring at him, my eyes diverted to the bunny's neck. There was a silver necklace with a small silver heart suspended off it, straight and upright. Jason reached out and unclasped it from the bunny's neck. I turned around, pulling my hair to the side, allowing Jason to place it around my neck and clasp it.

As soon as the mental touched my skin, I shivered. My head turned over my right shoulder to see what Jason was doing right when he terminated clasping it. I turned around again and stared down at the bunny teddy.

"I didn't want to be the typical guy who gets the girl nothing but jewellery so I was hoping you'd be up for a teddy," articulated Jason.

Grinning broadly, I wrapped my arms around Jason's neck, burying my hot face into his neck. "I love them both," I replied, my grin never wavering.

"What are you going to name him?"

I speculated a wide bunch of names for a moment before, "Bubbles," I concluded.

Jason stifled a chuckle. "Bubbles?"

I raised my eyebrows. "Have you got a problem with that, Jason?"

"No, no, not at all," he replied, leaning in to kiss my forehead.

With the baby bunny rabbit teddy bear placed against the wall next to the pillow, we continued as normal. Every so often, we'd break apart from kissing and just lie next to one another, deep in conversation with the bunny in between us or on Jason's stomach until we'd somehow commence kissing again. This cycle repeated many times until it was midnight.

But every time it came back to talking, I couldn't help but feel like he was guarded, having already constructed the indestructible walls around him. Maybe Lea caused him to do that, I don't know, but one way or another, it was going to be my mission to fracture them. We needed one another more than he apprehended, I believe.

When it did get to midnight, Jason was fundamentally ordering me to sleep so I changed into my pyjamas I brought back from the hotel in my bag. We even got into his bed, me having the wall side and Jason cramming in next to me. We both lay on our sides and soon enough, our eyes were drooping, the bunny's eyes open wide in the centre of us, leaning back against the pillow.

"Goodnight," he whispered, kissing my forehead. "God, you're so beautiful."

------------------------------------------------------------
Author's Note:

Again, this was another filler chapter, so I do apologise about that.

Thank you :) x