Chapter 31: finding out what happened to me.

Elisabeth's POV:

David took the phone off me as my eyes closed. The morphine was doing it's job. I had been in a lot of pain before the bullet. But I was not sure why. I wanted to know. Was it something to do with Freya beating me up? How long was I here?

The questions got more pronounced as I fell asleep. I wanted so badly to know. It was bugging me. David did tell Glacier about what happened. But I was half drowsey when he was talking to her. Why was I hear?

It felt like five minutes later when a nurse came in. David was holding my hand gently in his. Tears wanted to come out my eyes. It's been a long time since someone that wasn't my age cared so much. His other hand was gently hugging me.

"Will she be okay, soon?" David asked. "My own daughter has been beaten up so badly as well. But not as bad as how she is."

I couldn't find my voice. I whimpered instead. David gently moved the hair off my face and looked at me. "It'll be okay, honey."

The nurse looked at me. "We don't know, David," she said. "I think she'll have to stay here for two months."

"Here?" David asked. "Can't we send her to Inkwell hospital? That way, she will be near me. I do have kids of my own and we can't exactly travel up here every day."

"We can try," said the nurse. "Not until the end of this month, though."

"Okay," said David. "Could I talk to her alone after you've done whatever you need to do?"

The nurse nodded. "I'm almost done. I just need to make sure she's had something in her."

I winced as she did something. David hugged me again. "It's okay, darling. She's just feeding you."

The nurse had hooked me up to a machine. I didn't know what was going on. But liquid was slowly going through a tube. I hated it. I gripped at David's hand.

"Are you okay?" He asked. "Just nod."

I shook my head. "I hate this, David."

"You remind me of Glacier," said David with a grin. "She hates everything like that."

"Because of her past?" I found my voice. "All the things she went through?"

"Yes," said David.

"Glacier's a pretty name," said the nurse to David. "Are your children named after nature?"

"Only my first three kids," sighed David. "Glacier's twin is named after Alaska. Then Lillian is my next youngest. But we know her as Lily."

"Aww, pretty," said the Nurse. "Poor darling. Loosing her dad, though. It's a good job Emily's in prison now."

"I know," said David. "She's been in a bad way for most of her twelve years without him, too. Chopping and changing from one foster carer to the next."

He gently held me. "I did make a promise to her dad though."

"Ah," said the nurse. "Well, call me when she's finished with her feed. Then I'll do the final things before she can sleep again."

She walked away. I looked at David. "I miss my dad, David. He would of done what you did to me."

"Oh, honey," said David as I started crying. "I wanted to tell you this for ages. But all your other carers were not sure about it while Emily was in the house. You were safer at Bera's and Kyla's at that point. Shame what happened to Leo though. He was another great friend."

"You mean," i felt hope. "You were meant to adopt me?"

David held me gently. "Why do you think I asked you to be moved to Inkwell hospital, sweetie?"

It hit me. "That's why Kyla said I'm not going to hers. Oh, thank you, David."

David looked at me. "I didn't want Emily to ruin your life even more. That's why I didn't adopt you at first. But Bera kept me in the loope. Her daughter was another friend of Glacier's  when she went to City Poem. I was worried when she told me that your mum found you."

"Kyla came to adopt me after that," I sniffled. "I was reunited with Raven. I treated her like a sister. She was upset when I left her in the orphanage."

David nodded. "Remember Sheherazade?"

I nodded. "Did she finally got adopted? She was treated like shit there. All because she was a different race. I wanted nothing but her to be adopted."

"She is living near us," said David. "Her foster carers are very nice. Good friends of mine. They asked me if Sheherazade could be friends with you on Facebook."

"I will friend her when I get my phone back," I sniffled. "But in my hurry to get Glacier out the room, I forgot it."

"I'll go and get it while you are snoozing." David tucked some of my hair out my face again. "It isn't that far away to the school."

"Yes, please." I said. "I need destractions."

"I am guessing you want to know what happened and what you are doing in here." David looked at me with his caring blue eyes.

I nodded. "I can't remember a thing before that."

"You know when Freya beat you up?" David asked.

I nodded.

"Somehow," said David. "She's done a lot of damage. Like she's hurt your stomach. But not just that. Your ribs have also been damaged by her."

"Oh," I said. "So that's why I felt a lot of pain whenever someone tried to hug me that day."

"Yeah," said David with a sigh. "You are lucky it wasn't your back."

"I'm glad it wasn't," I admitted. "I have a lot of subjects that involve moving. I don't want to be disabled forever."

"Your scars from your mother have healed though," said David. "They put something on them and they have just left a few bruises."

"Good," I said. "It hurt me to move every time she did anything."

David gently hugged me again. "Well, you are safe now. You can have a happy life with us."

I smiled. "I feel bad for Glacier. Her depression must of got worse since Friday."

"She's been constantly texting me, wanting to know if you have woken up." Said David. "You slipped in a deep coma for two days."

That explained why I didn't remember that much.

***

A/N:

Aww. Yay. Elisabeth's happy.