32: Promise and Truth

Jungkook's POV

Deze afbeelding leeft onze inhoudsrichtlijnen niet na. Verwijder de afbeelding of upload een andere om verder te gaan met publiceren.

Jungkook's POV

Sana smiled back at me after I promised her that I won't keep a secret to her anymore. I may be smiling too but I felt guilty deep inside. But what choice do I have? It's better to lie to protect her than to tell her the truth and eventually I will lose her. I won't let that happen.

We're now inside the car, I buckled my seatbelt when I heard Sana cleared her throat.

"Jungkook-ssi.." She has broken the silence.
"Since you promise to not keep a secret to me anymore, I think I should do the same as well." She said while looking straight into my eyes.
She took a deep breath and then release it.
"There's a big secret I want to tell you, Jungkook. No one knows this except my best friends." I can see a hint of hesitance in her expression but I know she's taking courage to tell me what I already know.
I stayed silent and let her continue.

"Do you remember the time when you dare me to run on the running field?" She asked. I nodded.

"I collapsed not because of tiredness or the heat. But because my heart is weak." She stops.
"I.. I had a heart transplant." She confessed to me while looking down.

'I know. That's the stupidest thing I've ever done.'

"I had it since my sister died. This is actually her heart inside me."

'I know that too.'

"We're in a car accident. Minghyun said she was in brain dead while I had severe heart damage. The doctor said we're both had a little chance of survival. My sister is brain dead and not responding to any medicine while I was in a coma." She breathes, looking down at her hands on her lap.

"The doctor talked to my dad and he gave him an option. An option that changes our lives. I need an emergency heart transplant and no one matches me and since my sister is in brain dead and there's no chance for her to survive, my dad decided to give her heart to me. He needs to sacrifice one of us in order for one of us could live."

I didn't know that. Haena was in brain dead? Did they cover up that as well?

"When I knew about this after I woke up, I feel so devastated. I'm so mad at my father. Why did he sacrifice my sister's life? He should have let me die as well."
I can hear her voice broke down.

I was muted. No words are now coming out from my mouth. This is what really happened and how she got her heart transplant.

"As much as I wanted to tell myself it isn't my fault, I can't help to think that I am the reason why she died. I blamed myself for her death." She said in a deep voice. She clenches her tiny fist on her lap and I can see her tears are slowly dropping on the top of her hands.

I shook my head and reach for her face.
"No. Don't blame yourself, Sana-ssi. It's not your fault." I said then wipe of her tears on her cheeks.

"I am sure your sister would do the same thing. She wants you to be alive. So stop crying now. It's bad for your heart." I calm her down as I place her head on my shoulder and caress her hair.
I heard her sniff, trying to stop herself from crying.
Glad she stops from crying after a few minutes and I decided to take her home.