sixty four

After the class, staff and teams were allowed to have an end-of-camp swim session together, which meant seeing Emily again. Being that we were both in positions where we had to remain professional, we weren't hanging all over each other, but her hand in mine, under the water, was enough for me.

Nicely tanned and slightly sunburnt, I tucked myself into Emily's bed once again. When we woke up, we would have to say goodbye again.

"Do you think I'll be okay without you at school?" I whispered.

"Yeah, I do." She smiled softly at me, matching my volume.

"I just don't think I'm ready for it." I admitted.

"I don't think anyone is ever truly ready for it. You just have to do it and try your best to have an open mind." She spoke softly, running her fingers along my skin.

I felt like I was going to cry, again.

"You're going to be just fine, I know it. You're going to meet new friends and have new experiences and party too much and— live your life." She started out excited, then calmed down at the end. What did she think about?

"But my life is here with you." I countered.

"My heart, your life is so much more than me." She squeezed my arm. "It is your love for the beach, your friends, your big, beautiful brain, and so much more than just me."

"Don't sell yourself short." I told her.

"You will always have a home here with me, but you are being called to do amazing things in other places. You've already shared your heart with me— and I am so grateful that you have, but I think there are so many more people that will benefit from knowing you too." Her voice was soothing.

"We still have two weeks when I get home right?" I asked.

"Exactly." She smiled. "Victoria and I are almost finished with your shopping list."

"I'm sorry you had to do it." I told her.

"Don't be. It helps me stay busy without you there." She said, before quickly placing a small kiss to my lips.

"I love you." I smiled.

"I love you." She repeated.

"I love you too." Guidry chimed in, nearly sending my heart out of my body. I hadn't realized she was still awake.

"I love you too, Guidge." I laughed.

I snuggled as far as I could into Emily, nothing in this world could pull me from her at this moment.

She lightly ran her fingers through my hair, unknowingly putting me to sleep.

With one final kiss to the top of my head from Emily, I was sent to sleep.

"We'll be back to pick you up Thursday." Emily said.

My arms were wrapped tightly around her neck, refusing to let go.

"It'll be here before you know it." She laughed.

I squeezed her tighter.

I didn't want to let her leave me. I don't know how I'm supposed to let her drop me off at school in less than three weeks.

"Tight schedule, Lainey." I heard Coach Tullis speak.

"Please, don't leave me." I nearly cried, though I knew she had to part from me once again. It wouldn't be too much longer until I get to be home with her again.

"Never." Emily whispered.

"Ever." I shook my head against her shoulder.

Reluctantly, I pulled away from her, then looked to Guidry. I couldn't hold back the tears any longer. The floodgates were wide open.

Guidry's tall frame engulfed me in a hug, catching my cries.

"See you soon." She squeezed me tightly, then released me.

I looked back at Emily, letting more tears fall, then taking her in my arms again. I wanted nothing more than to kiss her goodbye, but I couldn't, so the hug would have to suffice.

"Haslen, drop." Coach Tullis demanded, a laugh laced in her voice.

I obeyed, releasing Emily from my hold.

Emily wiped my tears, then grabbed her bag off of the floor.

It nearly killed me inside to watch her get on the bus and drive away from me.

"You'll be okay, Lainey." Coach Tullis gently wrapped an arm around my shoulders, hugging me to her.

I nodded, trying to hold back tears.

"I know they mean a lot to you." She rubbed my arm.

Again, I nodded. Her words produced more tears.

"Take some time to freshen up and calm down, meet us in class in ten minutes, okay?" She lightly squeezed me.

"Thank you." I accepted.

I did as she asked and joined the rest of the girls to learn the new dances we would be teaching this week.

—————

The next week passed by painfully slow, thoughts of being with Emily flooded my brain the entire time. I miss her.

I can't wait to be home. With her. And Guidry and baby Piper, of course.

Although I was more than ready to go home, a part of me would dearly miss this camp and the people around me. I had become good friends with majority of the girls and created memories that'll last a lifetime.

It saddened me to pack up my bags and strip my side of the room of all the items that decorated it.

"Lainey." I heard Emily's sweet voice.

My head snapped towards her, capturing her eyes in mine.

A smile stretched over my face as she neared me. I took her into my arms, hugging her tightly, before slightly pulling away to give her a quick peck on her lips.

My roommate had already left, so there was no one around to witness my affection.

"I missed you too." She smiled.

I buried myself in her shoulder, taking in her familiar scent.

"Come on, Piper's waiting on you." Emily hands repeatedly tapped on my hips.

"Piper came?" I quickly grew excited.

"She's out in the car with Victoria." Emily told me as she grabbed a couple of my bags.

I grabbed the other one and followed her toward Victoria's car.

After I greeted Victoria, I settled in the backseat, next to Piper's carseat, right behind Emily.

As Victoria started to drive, I felt the need to be closer to Emily. I missed her so much, even just over the past week. I reached through the space between the door and her headrest, allowing my fingers to make contact with her shoulder. Her hand practically flew to mine, intertwining our fingers and keeping my hand close to her. It felt good that she missed me as much as I missed her.

I cannot wait to be home and sleep in the same bed as her. Only a few more hours until I can cuddle Emily as much as I want for as long as I want.