thirty eight

"Lainey, please." I touched her arm as she walked out of my class.
"I can't talk to you about this right now." She said flatly.
"Then when? I don't want you saying anything to Victoria without me knowing." I whispered.
"I won't." She shook her head, then walked away.
I wouldn't see her again until the end of the day when we're both with Victoria.
I took a deep breath and tried my hardest to push it aside, but when her friends are in my classes talking about her, it makes it kind of difficult to not think about.
I grabbed the bag that carried the change of clothing I needed for the team practice.
I cautiously walked in, then sat at the second desk and arranged my belongings, grabbing my change of clothes.
"Guidry!" I heard Lainey's voice.
Out of sight from Victoria, I froze and watched Lainey walk in.
I shook my head at her, but she kept going. My anxiety heightened.
"Hey, love." Victoria greeted her.
"Hey, I just wanted to tell you in person that the only reason Ms. Parker and I are so close is because of my mom being sick. She told me how they dealt with her dad passing and I just really— need someone who understands." I heard her speak softly.
"So, she talked to you already?" I heard Victoria question.
"Yes, only because she's worried about looking inappropriate. I don't want her to get in trouble over me needing to talk to her all the time, so I thought I would sneak in and talk to you when she's not here." Her sweet voice sounded.
My heart jumped beats at the thought of her wanting to protect me. I closed my eyes and softly smiled before quietly tucking into the office bathroom.
Praying for a miracle, I left the door slightly open so they wouldn't hear anything. I changed quickly and joined the pair that were still talking.
I smiled at Victoria then laid my stuff in my bag neatly.
"Is it true, Emily?" Victoria asked out loud.
"What's true?" I asked.
Victoria watched me.
"About Alaina? What did you say? I'm just like a mentor I guess, a friend." I pretended to be scared of what Alaina had said, but also defended myself.
"Right." Victoria nodded.
Victoria walked out and I turned to Alaina to thank her, but she walked out the other door. I was left alone. Is she going to try to make the cover story more believable? Or is she really mad at me for her having to lie?
I watched her disappear, then decided to follow Victoria.
I turned out of the doorway and Victoria was standing there.
"I just had to make sure my girl wasn't lying to me. I was trying to listen for a kiss or something." She looked embarrassed.
"You just scared me is all." I held my hand over my chest.
We walked into the dance room together and Alaina didn't even look my way.
I didn't make her lie. I didn't ask her to do that. Well, in the end I didn't. I suggested it at first and she shot me down, so I didn't think it was an option anymore.
Victoria made them get their hats and boots to practice in.
Class started and they began cleaning their homecoming kick field routine. I watched the back, Victoria watched the front, where Alaina was.
I caught glimpses of her, but I didn't want to be suspicious, so I didn't stare.
Her hip seemed fine today. She only rubbed it, she never sat out. From what I saw, she also danced full out.
The dance looked good and all of the girls pull their own weight on the team. They all could kick their hats without hunching their backs.
Practice was coming to an end, then Victoria said they did a great job cleaning the routine, so we would end practice with a deep, peaceful stretch.
"I wanna see if Parker and Guidry have their flexibility." I heard one of the girls, Caroline, say.
I laughed and waved her off.
"You're on, Care-o-line." Victoria smirked.
"What? I haven't— I'm not— I can't stretch." I denied quietly to Victoria.
"Then this will be funny." She patted me on the back.
Victoria took a spot up front, so I followed. I ended up right next to Alaina and I felt my heart beating faster.
They led us through the stretching routine. Victoria had it down, she could still do a lot. Whereas I was struggling to even touch my toes.
My straddle wasn't very big, so Victoria had Alaina and Reagan pull my legs back.
"Point your toes!" Victoria yelled at me.
"I can't." I could barely even breathe at this point.
Alaina's leg held my top up, but I was beyond ready to quit.
"Okay, okay. I tap out." I yelled in pain.
"No, the pain is where you find improvement. Just hold it for ten more seconds." Victoria instructed.
"You're gonna be sorry." I warned her.
She laughed and the team counted down from ten.
When they reached one, I collapsed back with my hands between my legs. It felt like I was being ripped in half.
The team broke out in laughter.
"You didn't have to pull so hard." I playfully hit Alaina.
"Sorry, coach." She smiled lightly at me, then moved away.
I'm not going to be able to walk for the rest of my life.
I struggled to stand up and my legs felt like jello. I walked to the front and listened as Victoria gave them instructions to finish their mums so they can wear them Friday and hang them on the fence they sit next to and above during games.
Alaina looked down.
The other girls dismissed, but Alaina stuck around.
"I don't have money to make a mum. Plus, my mom is always the one who makes it with me." She spoke sadly.
"It's okay, my love. It's understandable." Victoria nodded and squeezed her shoulder.
Alaina exited the main room after showing tears in her eyes.
It's her senior year, she has to have a mum. Seniors always do all white mums that light up and sparkle. She deserves it.
I'll make her one. It can't take too long.
"Stop the little wheels. She hates when people take pity on her. Just leave it be." Victoria told me.
But it's not pity, because I love her. It's a gift. It's something couples already do. Couples always make the each other's mums for homecoming, it's like tradition.
I'm doing it.
I didn't bother to change back into my work clothes, but I raced out of there and to my car. I had to wait for Alaina, because she rode with me. I have to drop her off before heading to Michaels Craft Store.
"What are you doing tonight?" She asked as we drove off.
"Uh— I have plans." I said casually.
"What? With who?" She asked louder than before.
"A couple friends." I lied with ease.
"You said you didn't have friends around here." She squinted her eyes at me.
"I don't. It's just a couple teacher friends." I tried to push it.
"But not Guidry?" She asked.
"No, she's not coming." I told her.
"Mhm." She hummed.
"You're not mad at me, are you?" I asked her.
I want to make sure we are on good terms before I do this for her, because I don't want it to be seen as a gift out of pity.
"I'm not mad at you. I know you have to support yourself, so it's not fair to ask you to put your job on the line for me." She spoke softly.
"But you understand that I do love you and I want to be able to not lie about you— we just have to wait." I told her.
"I know. I love you too." She grabbed my hand closest to her.
I held her fingers and kissed the back of her hand.
"I don't like that subject change though." She said.
I laughed and kissed her hand again.
"Who are you going with?" She asked louder.
"Don't worry about it, baby." I tried to ease her off of me.
"What? Are you meeting another girl? Is it Carrington?" She took her hand from mine and asked worriedly.
"No no no, it's not anyone. Lainey, you're the only one who has my attention." I told her. It's true. I don't see anyone else. She's the most beautiful girl in the world.
"Then who?" She asked quietly.
"Myself. I'm not really going anywhere with friends. You and Victoria is really all I have— but I'm not telling you where I'm going. End of story." I spoke.
"Why?" She gasped.
"Because I can't tell you. You'll know soon." I smiled. 
I pulled up to her apartment building and looked around, spotting no one from school.
"See tomorrow, my love." I rubbed the soft skin of her thigh.
"You can't come sleep here?" She asked sadly.
"Not tonight. I have a lot of work to do." I met her somber tone.
"But can I come to yours?" Her pout was precious.
I want to let her come more than anything, because all I want is to be around her constantly. However, I need to get started on her mum. I haven't ever made one by myself, so I imagine it'll take some time. On top of that, I have to do some major grading.
"Tonight isn't the best night." I shook my head.
She looked up at me with glossy eyes.
"I love you." I touched my hand to her cheek.
She nodded and looked down.
I lifted her head and pulled her to me.
I kissed her lips softly.
She pulled away and grabbed her stuff. She exited my car without telling me bye, but I still told her that I love her and to have a good night.
I hate that I won't be with her tonight, but I really need to start on all my tasks and when I'm with her, I get too distracted.
I have to make this mum good or she might grow distant.