fifty

Emily had bought and sent food back with Leslie for me, but I haven't been able to eat anything.
Dakota has showed no progression. It's been twelve hours since the accident and she's showing nothing.
I haven't left her side since I got here. I haven't even asked about the people who were with her.
She had gotten into the car with Riley George, the school's cheer Captain, Riley's Drum Major boyfriend, Aaron Arnold, another girl named Ellie Joshua, and another boy named Ivan Lewis. It was a full car of kids and I have no idea how they are. They are all friends of ours, so it made sense for her to be with them. After all, I had left her there after she insisted on finding a way home.
My stomach flipped with guilt. Had I stayed, would she have come with me? Why didn't she leave with Reagan, Mallory, and Annie? Practically the entire senior class was there. Why her? Why them? Why anyone?
I couldn't tell anyone about it, because I only left to be with Emily. I only left Dakota there because I've been lying to her about who I'm dating. The guilt was eating me alive and I had no relief in sight.
I wonder who all is still here. I hadn't even thought about going to see.
I gently kissed Dakota's head and stepped out of the room.
I smiled at her mom, Leslie, who was listening to the doctor.
"Hold on— hey baby, where are you headed?" Leslie addressed me.
"I was just going to see who was here." I spoke quietly.
"Okay, it's just your directors for now. The other girls haven't returned yet." She told me.
I nodded and continued on my way.
"Oh, hey— I wasn't sure if you'd want me to tell your mom, but I went ahead and did it. She said she'll come see you soon." Leslie called after me.
Mom knows?
I nodded quickly.
Leslie smiled at me and I went through the doors to the waiting room.
Guidry sat up in a chair with a cup of coffee in her hands, while Emily was curled into the chair sleeping.
I smiled at the sight.
They both stayed.
Even if not for me, it brought great comfort.
"Hi, angel." Guidry set her coffee on the small table next to her and waved me over.
I obliged and sat on her lap.
"She's not doing anything." I told her.
"I know. Her mama has been coming out every so often to let us know how she's doing." Guidry said.
"Do you know about the other kids?" I asked her.
"We got word on them." She nodded.
"And?" I pushed.
"You don't know?" She asked.
I shook my head slowly. It can't be good.
"Dakota and Riley are the only survivors." She said quietly.
"What?" I asked, shocked.
Aaron, Ellie, and Ivan didn't make it?
"Where are they?" I asked, standing up looking around to the people in the room.
Guidry tried to pull me back to her, her face showing sadness.
"No! Where are they?" I was hysterical.
I couldn't believe it.
I had just seen them. I had just spoken to them. We had just partied together. This couldn't be true.
"Baby, I'm sorry." She stood and pulled me to her.
The crying overcame my body. I couldn't even try to muffle the sounds that escaped me.
I had lost three friends and still have one in critical condition and one unknown.
She pulled me back into her lap as she sat down.
I noticed Emily had woken up and was watching me.
I felt her gently stroke my leg as I laid in Guidry's arms.
I eventually grew numb, but stayed in her arms. It felt safe here. Nothing is wrong in her arms.
"I should go back." I said.
"Are you okay?" Guidry asked.
"No." I shook my head.
"Do you need anything?" Emily offered.
"No." I repeated.
Emily squeezed my leg as I moved to stand.
I went back to Dakota's room and noticed Leslie sat in the chair next to her bed, her head resting on Dakota.
Without a word, I stepped back out of the room to give her some space.
I sat in a chair right outside her room, just to stay near.
Three people died last night.
I've never known anyone to die. How do you handle it? It hurts so bad, but is it normal to also feel numb?
"Hi, baby." I heard my mom's voice.
The tears flowed again.
"Oh, I know. I know." She sat next to me, holding me to her chest.
I couldn't control myself again.
She was my safe place to let everything out. Every fear. Every happiness. Every failure. Every lie.
"Mom, I lied to her. I lied to you." I cried as the truth began to spill from my lips. The lies were eating me alive and now my best friend's life hangs by a thread because of them.
"About what, baby?" She pet my hair.
"About everything! I'm dating Emily, I mean Ms. Parker, and that's where I've been, but I couldn't tell anyone, because she could get in trouble. I left Dakota at the party when I left to go see Emily. I left her there and now she's not waking up." I sobbed into her chest.
"Sh, hush hush hush. My angel, you didn't cause this. God has his own plan and that is not and will never be altered by you. Leslie told me that she went to chase after her boyfriend after a drunken fight at the party." She pet my hair as she spoke sweetly to me.
She didn't even comment on Emily.
The tears still flowed.
"Grace, breathe." She whispered.
I felt her kiss the back of my head.
I loved when she called me by my middle name, because she was the one to choose that name for me. My dad was the one who suggested Alaina, though Lainey was her doing.
I eventually calmed down, but still let her hold me.
"But I still lied." I whispered.
"To protect her." She kissed the back of my head.
"How did you know?" I asked.
"Mamas know everything about their babies." I could hear her smiling.
"Why didn't you ever say anything?" I wondered.
"I wanted you to tell me when you were ready." She told me.
I nodded. I expected her to be upset with me for hiding it and for the fact that it's even happening in the first place.
"Thank you." I looked up at her.
She smiled softly, then placed a long kiss on my forehead.
She tucked hair behind my ears, keeping the smile on her lips.
I leaned forward and hugged her.
She tightened her hold on me, then released me when we heard Leslie's voice appear.
"They say it's not looking good." She said sadly.
I took a deep breath.
My mom placed a hand over mine and squeezed it before she stood to comfort Leslie.
Leslie's front was crumbling. She was playing it so strong, now she's showing the pain.
"They said she won't make it off the ventilator." Leslie cried.
I just watched her. She was breaking.
Where were Dakota's little sisters, Dallas and Dylan?
"I'm going to tell Guidry and Parks." I announced.
Leslie nodded against my mom.
I walked out the door and saw more girls sitting with Emily and Guidry.
I froze in place.
I didn't want to inform everyone, I just wanted Emily and Guidry.
Emily locked eyes with me and I shook my head. Her and Guidry stood and headed towards me, then I heard an alarm sound.
I whipped around and flew back through the doors to see people rushing into Dakota's room.