forty one

Alaina disappeared for the rest of the day without any word to anyone. I was getting really worried but tried to suppress those feelings, because Victoria was already mad at me for making Alaina a mum.
I don't know how she knew, but she knew as soon as I walked in to the office this morning.
It felt like she was set on putting a wedge between Alaina and I. She was going about it the wrong way though, because her being mean to Alaina is only going to push Alaina to me more.
If she loves that girl like she claims she does, why doesn't she just want her to be happy? Why is she trying to make something come up?
Practice ended and I called Alaina. Voicemail.
I called again. Voicemail.
Where is she? Is she okay?
I decided to give her time, so I put my phone up and drove to my apartment.
I continued to work on her mum.
It was coming along great. I made the bear look like her dance uniform which coincidentally was white due to her officer position. The bear also had a white drill hat on.
It was getting pretty full of ribbons, a strand of boa, and various other fillers. It looked good and it was decently long.
I had to call my niece to get advice on the whole thing. The length, the amount, the colors, the flower decoration, etc.
I was getting ready to staple another white ribbon into the bunch when there was a knock on my door.
I set the stapler down along with the mum and checked the peephole. It was Alaina. Fuck. Fuck. Fuck. What do I do?
I blocked the view of the dining table and opened the door slightly.
"H— am I not allowed in?" She started, then questioned.
"Actually, no." I smiled.
"Why not?" She asked.
"Because you can't see what's in here." I told her.
Her face held a look of confusion as her eyebrows scrunched.
"I love you." I smiled widely.
"Emily." She deadpanned.
"Please don't get mad." I pouted.
"I just want to be with you. I miss you." She was getting upset.
"Is everything okay?" I asked.
"Why can't I just miss you?" She pushed.
"I miss you too, but I'm working on something that you can't see." I spoke.
"You swear it's not another girl?" She asked.
"Alaina, no." I said sternly.
"Then what is so important that you can't even spend the night with me anymore?" She demanded.
I contemplated on what to do. She needs me right now. Her mom isn't home, Victoria is being a complete jerk to her, and I won't even see her.
"It's for you." I opened the door a bit more to let her start to come in.
"What?" She almost whispered.
"I was going to surprise you on Friday morning, so it's not completely together." I warned her.
"What is it?" She asked worriedly.
I grabbed her hand and pulled her in. I kissed her quickly, then stepped behind her and covered her eyes.
I walked her to the table and kissed the side of her head before removing my hands.
She rubbed her eyes and gasped.
"You did this for me?" She emphasized the word me.
"Of course." I smiled as she examined the craft.
"I—" She shook her head and looked to me with tears in her eyes.
"Like I said it isn't done and you may not like it and that's okay. It was my first mum." I told her.
"I love it." She let the tears fall.
My smiled lightly and gently wiped her cheeks with my thumbs.
She hugged me tightly and said "Thank you."
I wrapped my arms around her and smiled to myself.
I love that I could do something for her.
She looked up and asked "Can I help you with it? Usually me and my mom make mine."
"I would love that." I smiled.
She held the fabric of my shirt at my hips and used it to boost her up to reach my lips. My hands held her forearm. I kissed her a few times, then kissed her forehead.
We sat at the table and she helped spray glitter on the flower, put silver gems on, and place ribbons.
She put on her music and really goofed off more than helped, but I wouldn't have changed a single thing. It was so nice to see her laughing and smiling. She looked like she had no worries.
"Seriously, thank you so much for doing this. It's the nicest thing anyone has ever done for me. The most thoughtful. I love it." She put her hand over mine.
"I'm just so happy to see you smiling." I placed a hand over hers.
"I love you." She softly spoke.
"I love you." I smiled.
She leaned over the table and gently kissed me. I held her to me in the kiss. She's perfect.
I love everything about her. She's so gentle yet so fierce. She's talented and equally has so much to learn. She's humble and confident. She is everything I ever prayed for and more.
I pulled away from her and continued to work on the mum.
She continued to play around and sing to her music. Eventually, she ended up sitting in my lap as I finished off the mum by gluing and stapling the back piece to the front. I worked around her rather than moving her, because she makes my heart skip beats every time she touches me.
I fixed the lights and tested them.
"All done." I smiled.
She was quiet.
I carefully kissed her shoulder and she turned to the side, but she was looking at me.
"Thank you." She whispered.
She's thanked me so many times already. I smiled at her slightly, then held my hand to her cheek.
"You are worth so much, you know that?" I asked.
Her eyes filled with tears.
"Thank you for choosing me to share your heart with." My thumb stroked her cheek as I spoke.
She leaned forward, her arms holding me firmly to her.
I did the same.
"You have no idea what this— what you mean to me." She spoke softly.
I closed my eyes and laid my head on her shoulder.
There was a knock at the door and she pulled away quickly.
She stood and went to check the peephole quietly.
"It's your sister." She told me.
I stood and walked to the door to let her in.
My nieces Raven and Rhea immediately hugged me.
"Hi, my beauties." I hugged them.
"And if it isn't Miss Lainey." I heard Kate greet Alaina.
I looked to them and saw the ending of a hug. I smiled at Kate.
"Hi, baby sis." She hugged me.
"Hi." I barely said.
"Homecoming season? For who? Hannah?" Kate examined the mum on the table.
"Uh— no, actually. That's Lain's." I said.
She nodded slowly and turned to me.
"The room is set up for you and the girls if you wanted to settle in. I'm about to clean this up and start dinner. Alfredo?" I turned the subject away from Alaina.
"Sounds good." She smirked and called her girls to follow her into the room.
"I forgot your sister was coming." Alaina quietly said.
"Just in time for my birthday." I gave a tight smile.
"Do not worry about that. My place is always open." She smirked and grabbed my hips.
I swallowed and looked into her eyes.
She went to the table and started putting everything into the box. I helped her and she in turn helped me make dinner. We were careful to steal kisses without the kids or Kate seeing.
The girls both ate, then went to bed pretty early. Kate, Alaina, and I sat on the couch. I sat next to Alaina with my arm behind her on the back of the couch.
"I'm going to call it a night. I'm heading to bed." Alaina announced.
"So— a kid?" Kate asked once Alaina closed the door to the bedroom.
"She's not." I quickly denied.
"She's in high school." Kate said sharply.
"She's of age. Promise." I told her.
"And if she wasn't?" She asked.
"Then she wouldn't be here." I shook my head.
Her face softened, then she spoke again "You know I'm just protective, right? I— I like her. I like you when you're with her."
I nodded.
"I just needed to make sure it's all okay." She explained.
I pressed my lips together.
Kate stood up and came to sit by me.
"Be careful with her. I don't care how old she is, this won't look right to a lot of people." She spoke quietly.
"I know." I met her volume.
"I love you." She said.
"I love you." I smiled.
"Go on and go to bed. Your girl is waiting for you." She nudged me.
I smiled at her.
It feels so good to have someone know about her. The truth about her. I wish I would've had the guts to admit it to her in words, but I'm also thankful I didn't have to.
"And mine are waiting for me." She sighed and stood.
I turned the television off and walked with her down the hall.
"Goodnight, sissy." I told her.
"Goodnight." She hugged me and ducked into the guest bedroom.
I entered my bedroom and went into the restroom.
I went through my nightly routine, then to my closet to change.
"Is she mad at me?" I heard.
"No— she's not mad at anyone." I answered Alaina.
"She's okay with— like— gay people, right?" She asked.
"Yes, baby. She's accepting of me and of you." I nodded at her before turning off the light.
"Why did she put the girls to bed so early then?" She questioned again.
"They just had a big day. That's all. Don't worry, my love. We will have more time to see them tomorrow, I promise." I said as I crawled into the bed, then kissed her head.
She nodded and scooted close to me.
I cuddled her and closed my eyes.
"I love you." I whispered.
"I love you." She said, then lifted her head to kiss me.
She laid an arm over my body and rested her head against my chest.
Just one night away from her was more than I could handle. I am so thankful she pushed her way back her. I sleep so much better when I'm next to her. I breathe so much better when I'm next to her.