fifty one

Alaina completely shattered moments after she disappeared. The crying screams that echoed out to the lobby were heartbreaking. I couldn't tell whether they were Alaina's or Leslie's, but either way, I knew what happened. She was gone.
I closed my eyes and took a deep breath.
The tears stung my eyes.
I grabbed Victoria's hand and squeezed it. This is one of her girls. A girl she has known, nourished, and loved for four years.
Her head dropped and she immediately sobbed. I pulled her to me, hugging her tightly as she cried.
My heart broke over the loss of such a sweet, loving girl and for her family, friends, and community.
This girl has touched so many people and was loved by even more.
How are we supposed to tell the girls?
They can hear the crying, they can see Victoria crying, I'm sure they understand.
I looked over and noticed them silently crying, some hugging and some curled into themselves.
I rubbed Victoria's back and pulled away from her to lead her back to the girls.
For the next few hours, we comforted the girls as we waited for their parents to pick them up. I felt ease in knowing that they were going to be taken care of for the time being.
But, Alaina kept crossing my mind. How is she doing? I kept glancing to the doors, but she never came through them. I thought about going back to check on her, but I thought it'd be best to give her some space to be with Dakota's family.
"I'm going to go find Leslie." Victoria said after she watched the last girl get into her mom's car.
I nodded and followed her through the doors.
I watched Victoria head straight for Leslie who was talking with doctors, still crying, then I looked towards the open door to my left. I saw Alaina laying on an empty bed.
I didn't see anyone else in sight, so I knocked on the door as I walked in.
She didn't move, but I still proceeded into the room.
"Hey baby." I greeted her.
I heard her sniffle softly.
I lightly put my hand on her shoulder in an attempt to comfort her at least a little.
She suddenly moved, jumping up and attaching herself to me.
I closed my eyes and hugged her.
I crawled into the bed with her to better hold her.
I kissed her head multiple times, holding her firmly.
Eventually, she fell asleep. She had exhausted herself crying so hard and worrying since the accident, that she finally found time to rest.
I gently ran my fingers through her hair, with happiness that she can escape her reality for just a small amount of time.
I want to be able to relieve her of all this pain she's having to endure. I wish there were some cure to take it all away from her. She deserves nothing but happiness, yet she is being tested time after time lately. She hasn't caught a break in all the time I've known her.
"I'm going to head home and tell her sisters— thank you for being here throughout this entire time. Thank you for taking care of her. Can you make sure she gets home safe and let her know I'll call her tomorrow?" Leslie appeared.
"Yes, of course... I'm so sorry. If you need anything at all, please reach out. It's the least I can do." I told her, trying to stand up to hug her.
"No no no, let her sleep. Thank you." She held my hand and gently stroked Alaina's head.
I nodded as she walked away.
She looked like the shell of the woman I had met prior to the accident.
How is this real life?
Why did this have to happen to such innocent kids?
I cuddled Alaina, waiting for Victoria to come find me, which she did. She sat on the other side of Alaina, slightly rubbing her back.
"Poor girl has so much going on in her life and now she just lost her best friend." Victoria said quietly.
"I feel awful for her. I wish I could do something." I nodded, playing with her hair again.
"We just have to be there for her. She internalizes her feelings, so we gotta check up on her." She told me.
I nodded, watching her rub Alaina's leg.
"The doctor said he could only give her ten more minutes in here before they came in— so we have to get her up pretty soon." She said sadly.
I looked down at Alaina's beautiful brown hair. The hair on the head that holds the most beautiful eyes I've ever seen.
When she wakes, reality will come crashing down again and take its toll on her.
"Hey Lain, you gotta get up." I spoke softly to her.
She groaned and stirred, but Victoria lightly shook her until she responded.
"Ready to go?" I whispered.
She didn't look at me, but she nodded.
"Come here, love bug. If you need anything, don't be afraid to call one of us or a teammate. We are together in this." Victoria told her as she pulled her into a hug.
Alaina didn't respond.
I know she's hurting more than I can even imagine. I love Dakota, but I didn't love her the way Alaina does. I wasn't her best friend, I was her teacher. My heart hurts in a different way than Alaina's. My heart hurts for her absence, every major events and experience she will never get to see, and her family who loved her deeply, that have to now find a way to make it without her.
Tears stung my eyes the more I thought about Dakota and her impact on my life and the lives around her. She was such a bright light and had so much love to share. It's such a shame that God needs the best people so early in life. He has gained a beautiful angel tonight.
I watched as Victoria walked with Alaina tucked into her side out of the hospital room.
Once we neared the doors, Alaina looked back and reached out for me.
I held my hand out to her and she clutched it tightly to her chest.
We walked out of the hospital and she broke down.
Victoria attempted to comfort her, but Alaina pushed her away. With my hand still in hers, I tugged her to me. She followed and crashed her body into mine.
Her hold was firm, her cries were gut wrenching, and her body shook in my arms. I pet her hair down her back and lightly kissed the side of her head.
I'm happy that I can at least try to comfort her in a time like this. I want to do everything in my power to make sure she's as okay as she can be.
"Get her home. Make sure she eats." Victoria set her hand on my arms.
"Will do." I nodded.
"I love you, Lain." Victoria whispered to Alaina before kissing her head.
Alaina nodded against my chest.
Victoria showed a slight smile before wiping her eyes and turning to walk away.
I made sure she made it to her car, before guiding Alaina back to my car.
I got her to my apartment and convinced her to eat some toast, then tucked her into bed. I laid with her, watching as she weight of the world was once again taken off of her shoulders, even if just for a few hours.
"Be okay." I whispered to her as she slept.
I kissed her shoulder and made myself comfortable enough to fall into a deep sleep.