thirty seven

I woke up to the sight of a perfect, sleeping Alaina next to me. This is a sight I will never tire of.
I checked my phone and saw I had 13 minutes until the alarm went off.
I disabled the alarm and faced Alaina again.
How could something so wrong be so beautiful?
I shouldn't have these feelings for a student, yet I do.
I closed my eyes and leaned my head on her shoulder, letting her sleep until her alarm went off.
"Oh god! Oh god! Emily!" I heard Alaina panicking.
"Hmm?" I hummed.
"Emily, get up! We're late. My alarm didn't go off." Alaina was frantic.
I jumped up and looked at my phone. It was only 30 minutes later than I was supposed to be awake. She shouldn't be panicking like this.
"Emily, come on! We have to be at practice in like 10 minutes." She peeked her head out of the bathroom.
Oh shoot. I forgot that I now have to be attending these morning practices.
I threw on my leggings and a t-shirt, then my shoes. I brushed my hair and my teeth and was ready faster than I had ever been before.
We flew down the stairs and to my car. Thankfully, she lives only a few minutes from the school.
I pulled into a parking spot and Alaina jumped out, leaving me behind without looking back.
I grabbed my bag that had my work clothes, makeup, and hair products, then followed Alaina into the school.
She had to have ran to the dance room, because I didn't see any sign of her.
I walked into the dance room, was greeted with "good morning"s, set my bag in the office, then joined the girls and Victoria in the actual dance room.
Reagan and Alaina led the team in a stretching session, while Victoria ran over the game plan with me.
I tried to keep my eyes on the team as a whole, but I kept slipping back to Alaina. She's just so beautiful and flawless at everything she does. She moves with so much more elegance and grace than the other girls. She is the best dancer on this team.
I was snapped back to reality by Alaina falling to the floor.
I jumped up and watched as everyone flew to her side. She has so many people who care about her.
She looked to me, then to Victoria, who was asking her what happened.
She didn't look back at me again.
I know this whole thing is a secret, but I wish she wasn't so good at hiding it from everyone. I wish I was the one she looked to when she was hurt. I want to be that person for her. The person who is reliable and constant. The person who she knows will help her when she's hurt.
Victoria helped Alaina move to the front of the room, by me.
Alaina slumped on the floor and let herself cry.
Do I react? Do I comfort her?
I couldn't stop myself.
I moved closer to her, putting a hand on her shoulder and asked "What happened?"
She looked at me, then looked away.
She took a deep breath, waited for the music to reappear, then whispered to me "Last night really hurt my hip and it has been killing me all morning. It felt like it was about to snap off. It's sharp pain."
Why am I so inconsiderate of her?
I knew she was hurt.
I was there when it happened.
Why did I just completely disregard her injury?
I looked into my lap and said "I'm sorry."
"Emily, don't blame yourself. I loved what we did last night. I just should've taken better care of myself afterwards. It's not your fault." She told me.
I nodded.
Alaina sat next to me for about ten minutes, then finally jumped up and pushed herself to finish out practice.
She got icy hot and put it all over her hip, having her friend hold up her shorts to expose the skin of her upper thigh and butt.
I watched her doctor herself up enough to get ready for her day. I did the same and was in the office bathroom fixing my hair, curling the ends, when Alaina walked in.
"Hey, you feeling okay?" I asked, looking at her through the mirror.
"Yeah, I'll survive. I'll see you in class." She slightly smiled, placed her hands on my hips, rising on her tip-toes, and kissed my cheek.
"See you soon, pretty girl." I smiled at her still through the mirror.
She walked out and I heard someone else's presence enter.
"Once that girl attaches to you, you can't leave. I'm not sure why she's so attached to you and what you did to deserve her love, but you better be careful. You're my friend and I love you, but she's like my child— so be careful with her heart." Victoria's voice sounded, then we made eye contact through the reflection.
"I know." I nodded softly.
"There better be nothing more than a friendship going on here." She warned.
"There's not. Why would you say that?" I asked.
"Because I know her. I know she doesn't get attached to someone so fast unless she likes them and being that we've been in school for what a whole three months?" She pushed.
I was quiet.
"Now if there was something going on, I would need to know today. That isn't something to hide from me." She watched me fiercely.
I nodded.
She disappeared and I finished my hair and makeup, still shaken from Victoria's words.
I needed to find Lainey immediately and ask her what to do.
We can't tell anyone about what we are or what we've done. It's not even an option, but how does she want to go about hiding it more?
I went to my classroom and she entered shortly after.
"Hey, Lainey." I waved her over to me.
"One day, I'm going to have sex with you on this desk." She whispered seductively.
I swallowed and shifted in my chair.
"I think I could get the deed done now, but I know how you are." She drew shapes on my arm with her finger.
"Lain— we need—" I started, then pulled my arm back to concentrate before continuing, "Victoria came to me and told me that if there was anything going on between us that we need to tell her, because that's not something to hide from her."
"Wait— What? When?" She asked seriously.
"Shortly after you came into the bathroom earlier." I told her.
"Did she see anything?" She asked.
"I don't think so." I shook my head.
"Okay well regardless, we have to tell her." She shrugged.
"Alaina, no. What are you even saying?" I was thrown off by her response.
"She knows. She wouldn't have said anything if she was just curious. She knows something." She explained.
"Okay, but shouldn't we just be more careful?" I asked.
"No, Emily, she already knows the answer. There's no point in lying to her." She looked annoyed, her eyebrows scrunched, and her hands gestured 'what'.
"But I'm not trying to expose this yet. You're still my student." I argued.
"Stop. She knows. If you make me continue to lie to her, I will be very mad at you. She wouldn't care. I'm of age and I am consenting." She slapped her hands on my desk.
"But I am her co-worker and if something were to happen to us, I wouldn't want it to affect my job." I shook my head.
"Well, I'm not lying to her." She crossed her arms.
I sighed and put my head in my hands.
The bell rang and I lifted my head to see her walking to her desk. She made eye contact with me, then rolled her eyes.
My heart stung. I had to fight the urge to call her over.
Why did she get so angry so quickly?