thirty five

I gathered my bags slowly, hoping to be the last one in the dance room.
Guidry and Emily walked in talking to each other.
"Oh—" Guidry turned to me, then continued "I thought everyone was gone already."
"Sorry." I said.
"No no, I just had to change back." Emily told me.
"Do I need to leave?" I asked, looking between the two.
"Uh—" Guidry started.
"No, you're fine. Just— turn away." Emily sounded awkward.
It was an awkward situation. I had seen the woman naked numerous times, but Guidry doesn't know that.
I turned away from them and heard Emily rustling through a locker.
"You won't have to change in here again after today." Guidry told her.
Emily didn't verbally respond, but I imagine she nodded at least.
"Uh— can I— uh— leave?" I asked closing my locker, still facing it.
"Yeah, you're clear." Emily responded to me.
I nodded awkwardly and turned to walk out. Once I was behind Guidry at the door, I pulled the door open, and took a quick glimpse at Emily who was taking off her practice shirt.
"Hey, wait!" Emily called.
I turned back quickly and saw her in her bra. I didn't look down, because Guidry was now looking at me.
"Sorry, this was yours. Uh— she let me borrow it since your locker was open." Emily gave me the shirt.
"Oh." I nodded and took the shirt in my hands.
"How's the hip?" Guidry asked.
"Hurts." I nodded.
"Well, my friend said he'd see you this Wednesday. He has an opening at 4, so you'd have to leave practice early." Guidry informed me.
"No, I can't leave." I declined.
"It's his only opening this week and you're not dancing until we get a look at it." She argued.
I looked down.
"Just keep the leggings, you can bring them tomorrow" she addressed Emily, then turned her attention to me, asking "Why are you so against seeing a doctor?"
"I'm scared." I admitted quietly.
"You don't have to be." She shook her head.
"And what if I did really hurt my hip? What kind of treatment would we be looking at? I can't put more stress on my mom! She doesn't need this!" I grew louder.
"Baby, she just wants you to be safe and what's not safe is running around on an injured hip, understand?" Guidry spoke softly.
"Lainey, you need to think about what's best for you right now. We can worry about telling your mom later, but for now, you need to make sure something's not wrong with your hip." Emily spoke to me.
I looked into her eyes.
She nodded at me and I started to cry.
Guidry pulled me to her, even though I saw it in Emily's eyes that she was about to do the same.
I wrapped my arms around Guidry, closing my eyes.
"Breathe, baby. I hate seeing you cry." Guidry whispered against my head, before she kissed the back of it.
"I'm just scared of something being so wrong that I have to have surgery or something." I shook my head.
"We'll deal with it as it comes, okay? Right now, there's no surgery, just a check." She assured me.
I nodded and stood straight up.
"I'm sorry about earlier today, I— I'm not ready to talk about it though." I told Emily.
"It's okay." She nodded.
I shyly smiled at her and gave her a soft, quick hug.
"She's a hugger. You're in the club now." Guidry chimed.
"It's okay, I am too." Emily smiled warmly at me.
"Okay, I have work, so I gotta go." I nodded, turning away from her, walking out of the locker room.
"Be safe. Have fun!" Guidry spoke as I left.
"I swear she's goofy, you just keep catching her at low moments." Guidry told her.
"Oh no, I know. She's funny in class." I heard Emily say.
"She really is my favorite girl and I can tell she also really likes you, but—" I heard Guidry's voice, but decided not to eavesdrop on them and just leave.
I headed to work and tried to forget about it. I grabbed my name tag and smiled at Emily Warner, before asking "Can I ask you something and it not sound weird?"
"Uh— you can try." She smiled nervously.
"Okay, so I'm seeing this girl— and uh— I can't really tell people about her, because they wouldn't approve, but— long story short, her name is also Emily and I kind of sort of panicked and told my friend it was you, but it's not you, but I wanted to ask if you minded being my cover?" I said very quickly.
"Oh— okay. Yeah, sure. I just have to tell my girlfriend that I have a work girlfriend." She laughed.
"Oh, you have one too?" I asked, excitedly.
"Yes, Taryn and I have been together for almost five years." She smiled.
"Oh, my Emily and I are only over two months." I said, embarrassed.
"Hey, we all start somewhere." She held my arm.
I nodded at her.
"Good luck, work girlfriend. But hey, I want to meet my competition." She smiled widely at me.
I swallowed and smiled back at her.
"Maybe she'll stop by one day." I nodded.
Emily Warner smiled and turned toward the bookshelves.
She has always been sweet to me, even though we don't really interact much through work. We are friends on Facebook and we follow each other on Instagram, but not really anything else.
__________
I parked my car in front of my apartment building and got out to walk to my apartment.
As soon as I entered the place, Emily's name popped up on my screen. I smiled and slid over the FaceTime call.
When her face appeared, I instantly smiled widely. This was the first time she had FaceTimed me.
"Hey." I simply said.
"Hey baby, are you coming over tonight?" She asked.
"I was actually, uh— gonna ask you if you wanted to come here instead." I only showed half of my face.
"Oh— I— okay. Sure, yeah we can do that." She too hid her face, but moreso than I.
"You don't have to if you don't want to. I know you haven't ever been here." I told her.
"No, I want to see you." She came back into full view.
"I'll send you my address." I smiled.
"I'll pack a bag." She set her phone down.
Silence fell. This would be new to both of us. We had spent the better of 3 months together and she hadn't even been to my place.
I just feel bad for leaving Moose so much.
"I'll see you soon." She picked her phone back up.
"Okay." I nodded.
She ended the call and I went over to send her the address.
Emily 7:59pm: I'm sorry about that.... I'm just kind of freaking out about this. It's not that I don't want to come, I'm just nervous to be in your space that you share with your family.
It's understandable though. I can't take offense to her being nervous, because she's completely right. I live with my mom and my sister is staying here most nights. I'm 18 and she's an actual adult with a big girl job and her own place, where there is no parents or siblings living.
Me 8:04pm: I get it. I'm sorry. Seriously, you don't have to come if you don't want to.
Emily 8:04pm: I'm on my way
My heart raced. I looked around and picked up my few dirty clothes on the floor, folded the blankets on the couch, and stared at my teenage room until she knocked on the door.
I opened the door for her and she held 2 bags. I let her in and she instantly looked around.
"I was so hoping your mom was a picture mom." She smiled back at me, before setting her bags down and looking at all the pictures my mom had displayed.
"So you're the baby too." She said after looking at one of me, Andrea, and Bradley.
"Yeah, but there's only us three. Well actually, technically I have a half-sister. My dad remarried and has a four year old." I shrugged.
"Not close?" She asked.
"That's one way of putting it." I said coldly.
She watched me for a few more moments, then returned her attention to the pictures.
My mom had pictures everywhere of our family.
Emily stopped at the collage of pictures of me and my mom and studied each picture individually.
"That one is my favorite." I smiled, coming from behind her, placing a hand on her hip, and pointing at the one where my mom was kissing my cheek as I was dying laughing with confetti all in my hair from Easter.
"You look very happy." She smiled back at me.
"I was." I continued looking at the picture.
She turned to me fully and put her hands on my jaw.
I watched her eyes and she watched mine. Time stood still as her eyes searched for a silent answer to a silent question.
She leaned forward and gently kissed me.
"Where's your room?" She mumbled against my lips.
I pulled back and grabbed her hand, leading her to my room.
"It's very— high school." I warned her.
"I expected nothing less." She nodded, trying to walk forward, but I stopped her again.
"Like very high school." I emphasized.
She pecked my lips and opened the door behind me.
My beige walls weren't really too bad, it was just the abundance of pictures and clutter that made me feel young in comparison to her clean, organized apartment.
I had thankfully gotten new bedding last Christmas, so it wasn't my teal quilt anymore, it was a white comforter with grey sheets now.
She sat on my bed and held my hands.
"When I tell you I want you, I mean I want all of you. I want this side of you too. You're still growing and learning new things and I want to know them. You don't have to be someone different around me." She said looking up at me.
"I know." I whispered.
She lifted my hands to her lips and lightly kissed them.
"I love you." She said.
"I love you." I smiled widely.
I crawled on to the bed and pulled her to me. I need to get used to school Emily and home Emily. School Emily is much more reserved, whereas home Emily is very comfortable and cuddly. I preferred home Emily, because I love being with her. I like her being everywhere I turn and we can't be like that at school. I leaned my head on the side of her chest, where her arm met her shoulder, and let my other hand lightly rub the exposed skin on her side.
She is slowly, but surely becoming my favorite place. Anywhere with her is where I want to be.
I closed my eyes and listened to her breathing.
I was growing sleepy in her arms, when a phone began ringing loudly.
"Shit. Sorry. I'm sorry." She shot up and began looking for her phone.
I sat up and watched her leave the room to answer the call.
I heard her answer and she started walking back towards my room.
"Yeah, I'm actually with her right now." She smiled at me.
She listened to the call as she sat back on the bed and draped a leg over my bent leg.
"I will. Love you." She spoke as she played with a strand of my hair.
She dropped the phone and kissed my shoulder.
"Who was that?" I asked.
"Kate." She informed me.
"What did she want?" I questioned.
She didn't answer, but instead kissed my shoulder again. She moved up to my collarbone and to the base of my neck where she focused. She moved my hair out of the way and moved up my neck, before pushing me back on to the bed.
How in the world does she flip moods so quickly?
I shook my thoughts away and focused on her touch, her kisses, her weight on top of me, and her demands.
We fell very quickly into a rhythm and were soon stripped of almost all clothing and wrapped around each other.
I traced circles on her bare skin between her breasts as her chest rose and fell hard.
"My sister wants to move in with me." She said out of the blue.
All my motions stopped. I was frozen completely.