forty three

I laid with my mom in the hospital bed as the nurses and doctors worked around me, knowing better than to ask my mom to have me move.
I had caught up in all of my classes with her help and taken a nice nap with her.
Andrea joined us a few hours ago and we visited and laughed like it used to be.
Mom looks better today, she looked sicker the last time I was here.
I glanced at the clock and realized it was getting closer to the time that I needed to get ready to go to work.
Eventually, she convinced me to get up and fix myself up.
"My beautiful baby." She smiled at me.
"I love you." I smiled as I spoke to her.
"I love you." She said sweetly.
I hugged and kissed her as I told her goodbye. I would see her tomorrow before the game, then again Saturday all day.
"Tell Emily I said hi." She whispered.
I froze, then nodded.
"Love you, Andy." I hugged my sister.
"Love you, little." She spoke.
I gathered my things and headed to work. I had my fifth graders today. They are such a fun group, but it's been a lot harder for me to entertain them.
It was an enjoyable, yet draining shift.
I finished cleaning the room, then went up the back where the other workers were.
"Have some dinner, lovey." Mrs. Dillon put her hand on my back.
I nodded, giving in instantly.
I grabbed a plate and sat across from my co-worker, Emily King.
"You're really great with kids." She smiled.
"Thank you." I smiled back at her.
"How are you and your miss?" She questioned.
"Good. Things are a little weird right now, I think, but that's on me not her." I told her.
"What do you mean?" She asked.
"It's been hard for me to be super cheery and she told me this morning that it was nice having me back to normal. It just threw me off and I feel like I'm not enough for her if I'm not in one of those moods." I shrugged as I took a bite of the pesto chicken pasta.
"Don't be too hard on yourself. And don't give her a hard time either. It's an adjustment period. Just be open and communicate with her why you're feeling a certain way. Keep the channels open and everything will settle itself." She offered advice.
I was quiet as I thought about what she said.
"She's not trying to be malicious by saying that. I think she's trying to say it was nice to see you take your mind off of what's really happening and be in the moment with her." She spoke again.
I nodded and took another bite of the food.
"How's dinner, ladies?" Mr. Dillon came into the room.
"Fabulous as always, Mr. Dillon." Emily King smiled at him.
"Amazing as usual." I smiled.
"Thank you. You're both always too sweet." He took a plate of the food and started to join us.
"Thank you." I looked at Emily King and spoke softly.
"Of course, baby doll. I'll be here should you ever need anything." She reached across and put her hand over mine.
I nodded softly and smiled.
Mr. Dillon joined in the conversation soon enough and Mrs. Dillon was not far behind him. The family dinner setting made my heart warm, though I knew I needed to get going. I had to practice the dance, since I missed practice.
I cleared my spot and checked over the room once more as I grabbed my stuff, then turned to walk out when I saw my Emily in the lobby.
"Hi." I smiled as I walked to her.
"Hey." She looked up.
"You okay?" I asked.
She nodded, not fully convincing me.
"I just wanted to make sure you come home to me tonight and that you weren't still mad at me." She sounded small.
"I wasn't mad. I was just overthinking the way you said things this morning, but I talked to the other Emily and she talked me out of my head." I explained.
"Yeah, I saw y'all talking." She admitted quietly.
"What do you mean?" I asked.
"Mrs. Dillon offered me a plate or at least to sit with you while I waited to see you, but I saw her hand on yours, so—" She trailed off.
"Em, that wasn't anything. Nothing like that." I defended.
"It wasn't?" She asked, wearily.
This is why she isn't okay.
"Baby, no. She was just talking to me and letting me know that if I needed to talk, she would listen. I was a little down, so she was trying to comfort me. Trust me, I only have eyes for you." I knelt by her legs, flattening my hands on her thighs as I spoke.
She nodded softly, then looked into my eyes.
"I'm sorry. I'm not the jealous type, I'm really not, but she's beautiful and—" She started talking.
"You say that as if you're not the most beautiful living person." I smiled at her.
She tried to fight a smile.
I kissed her knee over her pants.
"Only you have my heart." I whispered.
She nodded and finally touched me. She tucked hair behind my ears, then held my arms. She's okay now.
I stood and quickly kissed her lips, then pulled her hand to help her stand.
"Have a good night, Lainey and real Emily." Emily King spoke to us as she exited the back room.
"You too!" I called to her.
My Emily smiled at her and waved.
We walked out and she got in her car as I got in mine. I love that she cared enough about me coming to her place that she drove up to my job. She makes my heart skip beats.
I went by my place to get new clothes and feed Moose.
I played with him for a little bit, while on FaceTime with Emily. Then once it was getting closer to nine o'clock, I decided it was time to head over to Emily's again.
I kissed Moose goodbye and pet him once more before leaving.
I made my way back to Emily's.
Tomorrow is homecoming and I get to wear the mum she made all day and hang it at the game. I get to be close to her all day and night.
I sat with her, Kate, and the girls watching the ending of the movie Frozen in the living room.
Emily laid a hand over my legs, pulling me closer to her. I wrapped my arms around her arm and laid my head on her shoulder.
I felt her kiss my head, then lay hers on mine.
The movie ended and Kate carried a sleeping Rhea to the room as Raven followed her.
"I'm happy you're here tonight." Emily kissed my head, whispering against me as she spoke.
"I am too." I said quietly.
"Let's go to bed." She patted my leg as she moved to stand up.
I followed her to the bedroom and she put on her speaker to play soft music as we got ready for bed.
The lyrics "I found love where it wasn't supposed to be... right in front of me" played and I smiled to myself as I hugged Emily.
She wrapped her arms around me and gently swayed to the quiet music.
"What if something happens to my mom?" I asked quietly, barely audible over the music.
Supermarket Flowers by Ed Sheeran began to play and I felt tears sting my eyes.
"Don't think about that, my love." Emily held me tighter.
"But what if something does? Will you still love me?" I asked carefully.
"Of course I will, Lainey. I will be right here, I promise." She spoke.
I nodded against her and hugged her tighter.
I felt safe in her arms.
In her arms, nothing could go wrong.