forty eight

More and more Alaina has been staying with her mom and Dakota. I love that she's so close with them, but I would've liked to have seen my girlfriend on Christmas also.
I understand we aren't public and cannot be public, so I couldn't attend either of her Christmas celebrations due to Dakota attending her family's and Alaina attending Dakota's family's, but I wish she would've come to my family's celebration. They all asked about her constantly, even though Carrington was there.
I felt half-bad because I had not gotten Carrington a gift, but she had given me one. It was a necklace, but I had no intention of wearing it, because Alaina's necklace hung around my neck everyday without fail.
I lost focus on the show on the television, then a knock sounded at the door.
I opened the door to Alaina smiling.
"Hi." I smiled.
"Hi." She leaned up and quickly kissed me.
"Hi." I restated once she pulled away.
"Maybe I should stay away more often if you're that happy to see me." She joked.
"Yes, sorry. Come in." I moved out of the way.
"So, don't hate me." She turned to me.
"Why would I hate you? Wait, how have you been? Okay? Is your hip better?" I touched her arm as I spoke.
"I've been good. Okay. All better. The girls asked me to go out with them tonight." She said.
"Oh." I nodded.
"I know, I know. I'm sorry." She sounded sincere.
"It's fine. I want you to have fun." I gave her a tight smile.
"I don't have to go. I know we had plans." She spoke.
"No no, go. I know you want to. They were tentative, not set." I shook it off.
She looked sadly at me.
I flashed another slight smile.
"I can make it back before midnight for a kiss." She tried to lighten the mood.
"Really, Lain, don't worry about it." I shook my head.
"Don't do that, don't be mad." She tried to put her hands on my arms, but I moved.
"I'm not mad." I shook my head.
"Really?" She scoffed.
"Well, you can't really expect me to not be at least a little disappointed, Lainey. I haven't seen you properly in over a week. It's in passing, when I force myself into your schedule. I thought we would have a fun time tonight. It's New Years Eve. Sorry if I thought I'd get my girlfriend for just one night." I let it out. Maybe not in the best way, but it came out.
"I said I didn't have to go." She sounded small.
"No, I'm sorry. I'm sorry. I'm just bummed that I don't get to see you is all." I shrugged.
"I promise I will leave early and be back here before midnight. We will spend the rest of this year and the start of next together." She grabbed my hand.
"Alright." I gave in. I wanted to see her and I'll take anything I can get.
I pulled her to me and initiated another kiss.
"Is the bed in the same place?" She asked against my lips.
"Same place." I smiled into the kiss.
"God, I've missed you." She pulled me with her towards the bedroom.
I pray for this one day that Kate and the kids don't come home anytime soon.
————
She rolled off of me after our marathon and let her fingers trail my skin.
"I've missed that." I let out a deep breath.
She kissed my shoulder.
"I should get ready soon." She stuck her bottom lip out.
"No, stay. We can lay in bed all year." I said, pulling her closer to me.
"Then they'll be suspicious." She countered.
"They do know you have a girlfriend, right?" I questioned.
"They know, but still." She said.
"I know, but I'll see you before midnight?" I asked.
"Before midnight." She confirmed, then kissed me again.
I cuddled into her, allowing the silence to clothe us, while her fingers gently danced along my skin.
"My mom is doing worse." She said suddenly.
"What?" I froze.
"She's doing worse. She's not showing progression, it's all just sort of stopped and is spreading." I could hear the tears in her voice.
"Oh, Lainey." I spoke sadly, pulling myself to look at her.
"It's okay. She's going to get better. The doctor said he's seen worse heal." She nodded.
I nodded, not responding verbally, but rather kissed cheek.
"She can't die." Her eyes filled with tears.
I didn't know what to say. I haven't spoken to her mom since I met her and had that awful conversation.
I moved up to be able to pull her into me.
I felt her crying, though she didn't make noise. Her body shook and tears landed on my chest.
"Breathe, baby." I whispered.
She took a loud gasp of air, followed by audible sobs.
I hugged her tightly, trying my best to comfort her without knowing what she needed.
Eventually, she calmed down enough to shower and begin getting ready. She dressed in a simple black slip dress and black heels.
"You look beautiful." I smiled at her.
"Thank you." She shyly spoke, tucking hair behind her ears.
"Have fun tonight and be safe. I'll see you before midnight." I teased our overuse of the 'before midnight' phrase.
"Before midnight." She smiled.
I held her arms and let my thumbs rub her smooth skin.
"If you need anything at anytime, call me." I told her.
"I know." She nodded.
"I love you." I smiled.
"I love you." She copied.
She leaned forward and kissed me, this time without standing on tip-toe.
"Have fun." I rubbed her arms.
"I'll try." She nodded.
I pulled her to me, placing a strong kiss on her forehead.
"Before midnight." She confirmed once more, then headed out the door.
I locked it behind her and felt my heart sadden. I hate when she leaves me.
I had absolutely no plans anymore. We talked about possibly going to one of my brother's places with all of the siblings, spouses, and friends, but without Alaina there, it wouldn't be too much fun. Not to mention, they unsurprisingly extended the invite to Carrington.
One day, they will finally accept that I don't want her in my life, no matter how much I loved her at one point. One day, they'll lose the attachment to her that dad influenced. He was so great about everything when it came to me coming out. Hell, I didn't even have to come out if I didn't want to, I could've just brought a girl home and he would've treated her the same. I just wish she hadn't have been so liked by him, so that my family could've let her go just as I did.
I sat on the couch in my sweatpants and sweater, tubing into the television once again.
Now, just to slowly watch five hours go by, waiting for Alaina return.
I miss her so much when she isn't here or with me.
I hope she has fun tonight and allows herself to forget every real world problem for just a little bit. For a measly five hours, I hope she forgets and let's go.