twenty eight

We were in the room again, getting ready. The party is in an hour.
"Hey, Emily?" I asked.
"Yeah?" She called from the bathroom.
I hesitated in speaking again. I didn't want it to come out wrong or offensive.
"Lain?" She called.
"I- uh- how did you, ya know?" I asked.
"How did I what?" She responded.
"Cope?" I asked.
She appeared in the doorway and stared at me.
"Cope? With what? My dad?" She asked for further details.
I nodded.
"Why out of the blue?" She asked, her head now leaning on the door frame.
"My mom." I whispered.
"Baby, no. You do not need to worry about that. You just focus on loving her and helping her fight. Alright?" She squatted in front of me, her hands on my thighs.
"I just want to know how hard it was." I looked into her eyes.
"Impossible." She whispered.
We stared at each other for a moment, then I whispered "Sorry."
"Don't be. Heaven has the most perfect angel." She smiled.
I felt tears sting my eyes.
She pushed on my legs to stand up, gave me a quick kiss, and retreated back into the bathroom.
"Your mom is very very strong, you know that right?" She broke the silence.
"Yeah." I answered.
It was quiet again. I finished getting ready and met her in the restroom. She was smoothing a dress over her body. It was a beautiful blush pink color, fitting her form. Her details are insanely perfect.
"You look beautiful." I watched her move. She is the most beautiful person I've ever laid eyes on. No wonder her exes are obsessed with her.
"Thank you, but not nearly as beautiful as you look." She smirked at me.
"There is no one in this world that is more beautiful than you." I spoke quickly.
"You're so sweet." She lightly brushed my hair behind my shoulders.
"Thank you for coming with me this weekend." She quietly spoke.
"Thank you for bringing me." I responded.
"No really, I don't think I would've been able to have fun if you weren't here." She explained.
"I'm glad you're having fun. It's nice to see this side of you." I admitted.
"It's a different side?" She asked.
"Well, yeah. But, a good different. You're so carefree and happy here. It's just different." I smiled.
She leaned in and kissed my lips.
I pulled her closer to me, pushing her against the wicker shelves behind her, causing her to gasp.
"Lain." She moaned in pleasure.
"Hmm?" I hummed against her lips.
"God, have I missed you." She parted from me, looking at my face.
Her fingers lightly traced my jaw, her thumb playing with my bottom lip.
"I've missed you too." I spoke.
"No, I mean I've missed you. You've been so distracted and sad all the time. I've missed your smile." She reiterated.
"I'm sorry. It's just everything with my mom." I explained.
"No, I know. I don't want to take you away from your mom by any means. It's just nice to see the light back in your eyes." She kissed my lips gently.
"Okay, I was totally going to have a quickie right here, right now, but you killed that mood." I stepped back.
"I'm sorry, I'm just not really in the mood." She looked down.
God, I'm such an idiot. It's the anniversary of her dad's death. How could I be so insensitive towards her?
I mentally punched myself in the face, then spoke "I'm so sorry. I wasn't even thinking!"
"Baby, don't apologize." She smiled up at me.
"It's just- that was so insensitive of your feelings." I said ashamed.
"You're okay, baby girl. Trust me when I say that I want nothing more than to get you out of that dress, just not right now. Okay?" She played with the strap of my light blue dress.
"Mhm." I hummed.
"Seriously." She said before lifting my head and connecting my lips to hers.
She kissed from my lips, down my jaw, down my neck, moving the halter of my dress, and sucking on the skin that would be hidden behind the fabric.
I allowed her to make a mark on my skin.
She smirked at me and kissed my lips lightly again.
I bit my lip and looked down, nearly embarrassed. She's so hard to read sometimes. I can't tell what she's feeling right now.  I looked into her eyes and lost all sense of thought. So captivating and beautiful.
"I lo-" I said as if someone pulled a string in my back and I had no control.
"You what?" She asked, looking into my eyes.
I felt my cheeks heat up and I slowly started to shake me head.
"Say it." She whispered.
I opened my mouth, then turned my head to the figure walking into the bedroom. I smiled at Kate, then exited the bathroom to let her slip in with Emily.
I slipped on my chunky, double-strap sandals and the necklace I brought to wear with the outfit.
"Kate, please don't." She walked out of the bathroom.
"Why? You know dad would've loved this!" Kate followed her.
"I know he would have, but it's not something I'm ready for!" Emily looked at her.
"Ready for what?" I asked, quietly.
Emily shot Kate a look that read 'shut the fuck up'.
"Em?" I asked for her attention.
"To officially be out with you." She didn't look at me.
"Oh." I nodded, feeling small. I don't know why I couldn't have just stayed out of their conversation.
Kate stood awkwardly in her spot and didn't talk anymore.
"Baby, you know I'm with you one hundred and fifty percent. I just don't know how to tell them." Emily explained.
"No, I get it." I nodded, fighting the stinging feeling in my heart. I know what she means, because I am the same way. It just hits differently when she says it in front of someone she cares about so deeply, like Kate.
She rubbed my arm and I looked up, noticing Kate watching us.
Emily kissed me on the cheek and went back to the restroom.
"Hey." Kate said, walking toward me.
I smiled at her.
"My sister does really like you. I haven't ever seen her this attached to someone so quick or ever in fact. Em is protective over you and doesn't want anyone to even think about harming you. She's been through some rough relationships, you just have to give her time." She smiled at me.
I nodded.
"Can I ask you one thing, though?" She whispered.
"Sure." I met her volume.
"Do you love her?" She asked, quieter than before.
I paused for a second and looked behind me to make sure Emily wasn't standing there, then looked into Kate's eyes and nodded as I spoke "Yes, I do."
She smiled contently and put a hand on my knee. She nodded and stood, then walked out of the room.
"Are you sure you're okay?" Emily's voice reappeared.
"Yeah." I simply answered.
"You know you can talk to me if you're not, right?" She sounded worried.
"Uh-huh." I nodded at her.
I stood and walked over to her. I put my hands on her hips and kissed her.
Her hands held my shoulders. It was a simple kiss. I released her lips and placed a gentle kiss on her cheek.
She pulled me into her body for a hug. I sighed, finally relaxing, and let my body melt into hers. I felt her lips press against the side of my neck ever so softly, then her head rest against my shoulder. I couldn't tell who needed the hug more in this moment.
Once we parted, she slipped on a pair of sandals and led me out to the backyard for the party.