forty four

I put on white jeans, my black Classics game-day shirt, and my black converse.
"Look at you, beautiful." Emily's voice sounded as she made her presence known to me.
I smiled at her as she neared me.
Every other senior would be wearing decorated overalls today, but since my mom has gone into the hospital, more and more things are slipping my mind.
"Want me to braid your hair or something?" She offered.
I shrugged and nodded.
"Thank you." I said quietly.
"Anything for you." She smiled widely and quickly pecked my lips.
She sat me in her vanity chair and parted my hair, then braided two Dutch braids into my hair, leaving half of my hair down. She joined the two braids into a single ponytail and fluffed the braids slightly.
"You're so beautiful, you know that?" She hugged my shoulders.
"You are." I told her.
"Uh-uh, have you seen yourself?" She turned the chair and gestured toward me.
I smirked and pulled her to me. I kissed her lips then stood, keeping our lips connected.
I pulled her tightly to me.
There's something in me that never ever wants to forget this very moment.
I tried with everything in me to keep this going forever, but she pushed me slightly and pulled back.
"Lain, what's wrong?" She asked, her eyebrows furrowed.
"Nothing. I just love you." I pushed against her, hugging her.
"I love you too, Bug." I felt her kiss the top of my head.
"Come on, I'll let you drive today." She pulled me to walk with her.
"Your car?" I asked.
"Yes." She smiled, shaking her head at my rapidly growing excitement.
"Okay!" I exclaimed happily.
"Cutie." She quickly stole a kiss.
I grabbed my backpack, dance bag, and the mum and practically ran to the key holder as she gathered her stuff. I grabbed her keys, leaving mine on the hook.
We got to the school and began our daily routine. I walk in through a side door and head straight for the dance room, she heads through the back door and goes to her classroom before coming to the dance room.
I walked in and began the goofy antics that I religiously did every morning.
I set my bags down, then started messing around. It's always jokes, laughs, and genuine affection.
Someone had music on, so we were dancing around and singing so far off key that Guidry appeared in the doorway of the locker room.
She smiled at me and I started singing 'Kiss Me Thru The Phone' by Soulja Boy to her, causing her to laugh. I couldn't fight the laughter myself as the other girls joined.
The song 'Bitch' by Meredith Brooks started and we all dramatically singing the lyrics and yelled the chorus.
"Alright alright, dance party moved to the dance room. We gotta get to work!" Guidry clapped as Emily made her way to her side.
The music cut and we went out to the dance room.
We didn't have morning practice, so everyone was mumbling about what could be happening in the dance room.
"Ladies, we'll have practice out on the field with the band right after the final bell. That much is the same. However, meeting time for the game is five p.m. sharp. Homecoming festivities and two of our very own, Reagan and Dakota, are nominees for Queen." Guidry announced.
I excitedly tapped Dakota's leg as Guidry spoke about the nominee.
She grabbed my hand and squeezed it as Guidry pointed to Katherine, one of the social officers.
She carried on with the run down of the game, which was unnecessary, being that we had already gotten used to how Friday nights worked.
"Lainey, come here." She said.
"Huh? Me?" I asked, pointing at myself.
"You are Lainey, right?" She laughed.
I nervously stood and quietly walked to her side.
"Given the situation with your mom and having to have your plate a little more full than usual, the girls asked me if they could all pitch in and get you some overalls made—" Guidry began talking to me.
The second I heard overalls, tears stung my eyes.
"No." I shook my head, covering my mouth.
"Yes. Look." Guidry smiled at me, turning me to face Katherine holding a hanger that held up a decorated pair of overalls.
I instantly started crying.
"Why?" I asked, confused why they all wanted to spend money on me.
"Because, you're you and we all love you. Plus, we know how much you were looking forward to senior homecoming, so we had to make it special." Dakota spoke up.
I started to ugly cry and went to hug Guidry, then turned to the entire team, holding my arms out wide and was soon met with an engulfing hug.
"Thank you so much guys!" I cried.
They soon released me and let me change into the overalls and I started jumping around.
Happy couldn't even describe the feeling.
I examined the designs in the mirror. On the back pockets, there were white handprints with '2020' painted over the palms. A bow and the word 'Classics' on the back piece. On the front, my monogram was on the chest piece, the word 'Rollers' down one pant leg, and 'c/o 2020' down the other. To top it all off, a silver sequined belt through the loops.
"It's perfect. They're perfect." I shrugged.
I smiled back to the team.
"Y'all go have a fabulous homecoming day!" Guidry dismissed us.
I darted for her and jumped on her.
"Thank you, thank you, thank you!" I repeated over and over.
She held me up and said "Anything for you, sweet girl."
"Today is the best day ever." I whispered.
"You deserve it." She set me down, then kissed my forehead.
I closed my eyes and hugged her.
Forehead kisses were my favorite gesture of affection. They can come from anyone and my heart will melt. But from Guidry, it felt like my mom.
"Thank you for this. You really have no idea how much I appreciate it." I told her.
"You're welcome, baby doll." She fixed my hair.
I smiled widely.
"Go on, goofy." She nudged me toward the door.
I hadn't seen Emily since I saw the overalls, I wonder where she went.
I stepped into the office and peaked to her desk to see her there with her head down, concentrating on something in front of her.
"Did you see?" I popped into a 'ta-da' stance.
"I did." She nodded without looking up at me.
"What's wrong?" I asked, confused.
She had said she missed me being goofy, yet here I was and she was completely ignoring it.
"Nothing's wrong, I just have work to do." She said slightly cold.
"Okay grouch, I'm gonna leave and come back when Parks returns." I scrunched my eyebrows and walked away from her.
I exited the office and headed back for the dressing room to see everyone else getting ready for their day.
I quickly gathered my things and pinned the mum to the front of my overalls.
I have no idea why Emily was so cold to me, but I was determined to be the first one to class to find out why.