forty two

I opened my eyes and saw no sign of Emily.
I sat up, saw the time, 6:19am. She didn't wake me up, but it's now time to be up.
I walked out to the living room, then noticed the patio door slightly open. I saw Emily and Kate sitting on the chairs.
It was still dark out, so I decided against interrupting their time together. We weren't in a rush.
I walked back to the bedroom and scrolled through my phone.
I texted my mom good morning and asked what she had scheduled today.
"Good morning, my love." I heard.
I looked up and smiled at Emily. She looks beautiful. Her hair fell into looser curls than they were yesterday, her dull colored large t-shirt draped around her body perfectly, her legs were exposed.
"How long have you been awake?" She asked as she crawled back into the bed next to me.
I intertwined my legs with hers, snuggling close to her, before saying "Not long."
"You could've came out with us. We were just having some chill time before the girls got up." She spoke quietly.
"When do they get up?" I questioned.
"Uh— any minute now. Kate just has to get dressed for work and we get to take the girls to school." She kissed my head before sitting up.
I held her in the bed tightly as she tried to fight me to get out. She resorted to tickling me, which forced me to quickly give in.
"Aunt Emi!" I heard and felt her hands leave my body.
I sat up and watched as the smaller of the girls ran in.
Emily picked her up and set her on the bed.
"Rhea, guess what?" Emily smiled widely at her.
I couldn't help but smile with her. She's infectious. Every emotion she feels is contagious.
"What?" The little girl spoke.
"Lainey is going to help us get dressed this morning." She shook Rhea's hands as she spoke excitedly.
"Yay!" Rhea exclaimed and turned to me.
I smiled as the small child put her hands on my shoulder to steady herself.
"Wainey, we go find dwess." Rhea instructed me.
"Alrighty, let's go find you a dress." I carefully set the girl on the floor.
I stood from the bed and allowed Rhea to take my fingers in her small hand.
Emily slapped my butt with her hand as I followed Rhea. I glared and pointed a single finger at her to warn her.
Rhea led me into the guest bedroom and showed me her suitcase.
I unzipped it and started rummaging through the clothes, soon realizing that the suitcase contained both girls' clothes.
I picked up a dusty purple dress and read the tag.
It read three-t, so I assumed it belonged to the smaller girl.
I held it up to Rhea and she nodded.
I helped her unzip her footed onesie and change her into all fresh clothing.
"Mommy! Wainey help me." Rhea spoke.
I felt a presence behind me as I finished folding over Rhea's second cream colored sock.
"Thank you." Kate's voice was sweet.
"Of course." I smiled at Rhea as I responded to her mom.
Rhea jumped up and joined Raven in the bathroom.
"Has Em ever said anything about me having too many kids— or anything of the sort?" Kate was sheepish. This is a weird side.
"Uh no." I shook my head.
She did say one time that Kate didn't know what was best for her girls, but never anything that made it seem like she thought she had too many.
She nodded and swallowed.
She was deep in thought. She seemed nervous.
"I really hate that I have to lean on my little sister like this. I promise, we will be out of y'all's hair in no time." She said quickly.
"No— what? She loves you and loves when you're here. Don't be sorry. Just enjoy the time you have with her." I spoke to her with ease.
She smiled at me.
"When did you get to be so talkative?" She showed her teeth. Her and Emily are easily the two most stunning women to walk to planet. Their smiles alone were perfect enough to kill.
I smiled back at her.
"Thank you." She nudged me.
I shook my head and smiled again.
"I like you." She said before walking to the restroom where her girls were.
I excused myself from the room and padded quietly back into Emily's room. I looked to the bathroom and saw her applying her makeup.
I bit my lower lip and carefully walked up behind her to hug her.
She gasped, placed her hand on my arm, then breathed "Hey."
I kissed the back of her shoulder.
"I really like your sister." I spoke quietly.
"I really do too." She joked.
I pressed my fingers into the soft area of her side, causing her to laugh and squirm.
"She really likes you too." She said through her laugh.
I took a deep breath and just held her.
How easy this can be when we don't have to be careful.
I craved her touch, her hugs, anything all day yesterday. Not waking up to her was a nightmare, though I loved getting to see my mom.
"You okay?" She asked, lightly rubbing my arm.
I nodded against her back, but didn't speak.
I heard clanking, then felt her push me back to allow her to turn.
She pulled me to her and I rested my head on her chest. I could hear her heart beating. The sound was calming.
"I love you." She whispered, her lips pressed to the top of my head.
"I love you." I mumbled.
She held me for a few more moments, then reminded me that it was time to get dressed for our day.
Another day of pretending that she isn't the center of my attention.
I sighed as I gathered my belongings.
Emily pulled me to her by the fabric of my shirt. I smirked, then leaned into her.
She kissed me once, twice, then a third and held it for a while.
"Need a little to help me get through the day." She smiled as she pulled away.
I dropped my bags, grabbed her face in my hands, and pulled her in for another kiss.
She rested her forehead against mine.
"You're so cuddly lately." She whispered.
I pulled away from her and picked my bags back up.
I'm scared to voice anything. I don't want to talk about anything. Not my mom. Not my injury. Not Guidry. Not anything.
"No, please." She sounded defeated.
"What?" I turned and asked.
"Don't shut me out. I have loved having you back to normal." She slightly pouted.
That caught me off guard. I thought she loved me all the time, no matter what. The way she worded that stung.
"Normal?" I scrunched my eyebrows.
"No no no— you know what I mean. I meant being carefree and goofy. I've missed you being happy." She scrunched her face when she finished talking.
"Alaina, please." She held up her hand to signal a straight line.
I stared at her. My mind raced. I'm always happy with her. Is it not enough? I was just in a different mood last night, not sure why. Is that what she expects of me? To always be wild and crazy?
"I just meant— it was nice to be able to goof off with you." She got quiet towards the end of her sentence.
I nodded slowly.
I felt myself shrinking in my skin. I wasn't even enough for Emily at this point.
She was about to speak again, when Kate and the girls appeared.
"Everything alright?" Kate asked.
I stared at Emily.
Was she even happy with me every other day that I'm not 'goofy'? Was she fulfilled?
"Lainey?" Kate said my name.
Emily stared back at me.
I gulped and nodded, then turned to walk past her and straight out of the apartment.
I got into my car and started to drive in the direction of school.
What do I do?
I love Emily. She tells me all the time that she loves me. I feel her love when she's touching me, but her words killed me.
I used to be insane and playful all of the time, then my mom got sick. I just haven't been that girl in a while and for Emily to imply that she prefers that girl hurt.
I'm not that girl anymore and I don't think I could ever be her again. I've hurt more in this last month than I have in my entire life. The most important woman in my life is playing at death's door. It's not like that happier mood can last long before reality hits me in the face again.
I ended up at the school in no time, parked, and made my way to the dance room.
I set my bags in my locker and headed out to the dance room. Dance is the only thing to get my mind off of everything.
Since I was the first one here, I decided to work on Dakota's choreography for her solo.
The music played and I improvised trying to find moves that flowed together.
"Why do you think you can just choreograph for Kota without asking?" I heard. It was Guidry.
I jumped at the sound of her voice and absence of music.
"She asked me to." I was small.
"And you didn't think of asking me?" She pushed.
I shrugged.
"You don't even have a solo and you're trying to work on someone else's." She was harsh.
I could feel myself reaching my breaking point.
I tried with everything to fight my tears.
"I think this is the furthest you've ever gone to undermine me." She shook her head in a disappointed way.
"I get it! Okay? I get it! I'm not the same! I'm not exactly in the best place to be happy, go-lucky Alaina. Do you know what hell I'm going through right now? I could get a call at any time that my mom slipped away. And you're here thinking that everything I do is about you? God fucking forbid that anything else holds a higher priority over this team! If you don't want me here, then I'll leave! I'll quit! I don't need to be picked at with every little thing that I do. I told Dakota I would work with her on her solo, because she's my best friend! And she's been a hell of a lot better to me than you have lately." I yelled at her.
I was too upset to even realize that we had since gained an audience.
The room was silent and everyone watched us.
I grew embarrassed. I snatched my phone and exited the dance room, heading straight for the locker room.
The tears came fast and hard.
It was becoming difficult to breathe.
The sobs echoed against the lockers.
I coughed through the sobs.
I've never yelled at her like that. I've never yelled at anyone like that. I didn't even know that was in me.
The door opened and both Guidry and Emily were there.
I stood, facing them.
They were side by side.
I broke again.
I walked towards them, then attached myself to Guidry.
"Please, stop being mean to me." I cried.
Her arms tightened around me.
"I'm so sorry." She whispered in between placing gentle kisses on top of my head.
Once I started to calm down, my sobs turned into stuttered breaths, and Guidry stroked my hair.
"I think maybe today, take the day off. I'm sure you won't find it hard to get someone to write you a doctors note. Go spend the day with your mom, baby." She spoke softly.
I was numb now. Emotionless.
"You need some time to rest." She kissed the top of my head and squeezed my shoulders.
I looked at her and nodded.
My hands released the fistfuls of her shirt and I stepped back.
She's back to my Guidry, gentle and kind.
She carefully wiped my cheeks to free them of any leftover tears. Her shirt was stained with tear spots now.
Emily walked back into the locker room, though I hadn't even realized she had left.
"Everything okay?" She asked cautiously.
I nodded.
I turned to my locker and grabbed my stuff again. I left my dance bag and clothing items, only taking my backpack.
Maybe this was a good idea, because now I could catch up in the classes I've been falling behind in.
"Where are you going?" Emily asked, clearly confused.
"To see my mom." I told her.
Confusion still present on her face, she slowly nodded.
"I love you, Lain." Guidry hugged me tightly.
"I love you too." I said quietly.
"See you later. I hope you feel better." Emily stayed emotionally distant.
I nodded and hugged her.
"I'm sorry for the freak out." I said not looking at either of them.
"You don't have to apologize." Guidry softy said.
"It was just— out of nowhere." I shook my head.
"It'll all be okay. Fresh start tomorrow." She spoke strongly.
I nodded and gave her a soft smile.
I glanced at Emily once more, before leaving the room.
I headed straight for the hospital.