sixty two

It had been six weeks of agonizing FaceTime calls with Emily, six weeks of not seeing her in front of me. But, today was the day. She would be here today.

"Home team! Home team! Home team!" The girls chanted in a circle around me.

I danced around, happier than ever that I would be seeing my people today.

The past few weeks, home teams have been shared by multiple girls, but I was the only one from the Classics, so I get to lead this week by myself. It's actually a huge honor, because I had no idea what they were expecting from me, but Coach Tullis said I had the ability to do it myself.

"Alright alright, let's settle! Lainey's home team is arriving today, which is very exciting, but we have to remember to stay professional, right Lainey?" Coach Tullis looked at me.

"Right." I nodded at her.

"Eat breakfast, then we'll have our short meeting, just before Classics arrive." She told us.

We did just as she asked and were watching the parking lot from the large window in the mess hall. As the front of the first bus became visible, we ran out and they formed the welcome lines on both sides of the sidewalk, waiting to cheer on the girls coming in.

I was at the end of one of the lines, but as soon as I made eye contact with Emily, I couldn't contain myself. Her smile demanded my feet to move.

I took off running towards her, watching as she prepared herself for impact, which proved to be useless, because when I crashed into her, we fell onto the ground. I squeezed her tightly with my arms and legs. I've never felt more happiness than in this moment. Every part of me had missed her.

"Hi." She laughed.

"Hi." I said out of breath. "I'm gonna be in so much trouble."

"Oh no— why did you—" She started to speak to me.

"No, shh— I don't care." I held her, taking in her touch, her scent, her sound.

"No hug for me?" I heard Guidry's voice.

I smiled at her, before jumped up, leaving Emily on the ground and flung myself into Guidry's arms.

"No Pipes?" I asked, looking back to one of the girls helping Emily stand up.

"She's with my mom for the week." She told me, snuggling me tighter. "I think I'm already having withdrawals. I miss her."

I nodded against her shoulder.

"But, I get to see you, so I'm okay." She held my head as she pulled back to look at me, forming tears in her eyes as she spoke to me. "You've gotten taller and more beautiful."

She made me tear up as I tried to laugh.

"Oh, how I have dreamed of this day." She shook my head in her hands, scrunching her face.

I hugged her again.

After releasing Guidry, I greeted the team, hugging the girls that were returning members, then meeting the new girls.

As we walked toward the welcome lines, I hid in the crowd of girls, hoping Coach Tullis wouldn't see me. As we walked through the lines, Savannah pulled me into the line next to her, trying to save me as well.

Coach Tullis walked out of the mess hall to greet them and we all went behind her.

I couldn't stop smiling at Emily. She looks like she got a tan and a new hair cut. She looks incredible. I've missed her.

"Miss Lainey, you are welcome to show Ms. Guidry and Ms. Parker to their cabin, while Willow, Layla, Danielle, and—" She drew out, scanning the girls for who to choose. "and Georgia, split the girls into cabin groups, then show them to their units."