thirty two

Dakota and I were cuddled up on the couch when my phone started ringing.
I saw "E." along with Emily's contact picture, which was a picture of us cuddling in her bed, pop up. I quickly slid it over to answer.
"Hey." I answered.
"Hey, do you want to maybe come over tonight? We can order take out Chinese and talk about what happened. I really hate how we left things." She spoke sincerely.
"Maybe tomorrow. Dakota is over and I'm hoping she'll stay the night with me here." I stated.
"Oh-" she sounded disappointed, then continued "I understand. No problem. I uh- I'll see you tomorrow then."
"See you." I responded.
"Who was that?" Kota asked.
"My sister." I leaned back into the couch.
"What'd she want?" She asked.
"Me to go spend the night over there." I answered.
"You can if you want to. I don't want to keep you from your family at this time." She paused the show.
"No, dude, I want you to stay here. I miss you." I told her.
"I've missed you, Lainey." She grinned and wrapped her arms around me.
"So tell me, any girls lately? Boys?" She smirked.
"Uh—" I hesitated.
"There is! Who?! Spill everything!" She smiled from ear to ear, bouncing in her spot.
My phone started ringing again and my head snapped to it. Mom.
I picked it up scared.
"Hello?" I answered.
"Hey baby, how did your weekend go?" She asked. She was smiling.
"Really good." I answered.
"Wanna talk about it?" She asked.
"Uh— Yeah, we really just hung around the house and with her family." I walked into the kitchen, pretending to look for a drink in the fridge.
"Oh actually baby, we're going to have to finish this up later. My nurse just walked in to do some work. I'll call you tomorrow, my love. Be safe. I love you." She said quickly.
"I love you too. Talk to you soon, mama." I smiled.
"Tell Emily hi for me." She said right before hanging up.
I shook my head, smiling. She loves Emily and I couldn't be happier.
"So, tell me about her." Dakota spoke.
I jumped around and held my hand over my heart.
I can't tell her. Emily would never forgive me if anyone else knew. But if Dakota found out Reagan knew and I didn't tell her, she'd never forgive me.
I need to tell her, but maybe not everything. A girl at work is named Emily. I can use her in place of my Emily.
"She's really great." I gave in.
"I knew it." She smirked at me.
The smirk. The images of Carrington kissing Emily came flooding back to me.
"More, more." She squeaked happily.
"She's beautiful and kind and magical." I gushed. It came so easily.
"Name? I need her name!" She put her head in her hands.
"Emily." I said scared.
"No way! No way!" She yelled.
"What?" I asked.
"That cute girl from your job?" She asked.
"Mhm." I hummed with my lips pressed together.
I have to talk to both Emily's and just hope Emily from work will keep with the cover story.
The rest of the night went smoothly. She was satisfied with the answers and I was able to enjoy her company. I needed this.
The night was full of laughter, Brooklyn Nine-Nine, and pictures of us. She was asleep in my bed and I slipped back out to the living room to call Emily.
"Hello?" She answered groggily.
"Hi sorry, you were sleeping. I'll just see you tomorrow." I spoke quietly.
"No no no, baby. I just was taking a nap on the couch.  How was your night?" She said with a low voice.
I find it cute that she falls asleep on her couch when I'm not there.
"It was really good, but I can't sleep." I played with the loose thread on the couch cushion.
"Neither can I, honestly." She whispered.
"I hate school weeks." I sighed.
"Why do you say that?" She questioned.
"I like being able to stay with my mom." I answered her.
"Yeah, I know how much you love seeing her." She spoke and I could hear her smiling.
"I like spending time with you too." I quickly said.
"I know. You don't have to make up for it. I know how you feel, Lain." She said.
I was silent for a few moments, just listening to her calm breathing.
"Well hey, you need to get some sleep. I will see you tomorrow, love." She quietly talked.
"You do too." I smiled.
"I love you." Her raspy voice sounded.
"I love you." I responded.
"Goodnight." She said, then hung up.
I wish I was going to sleep in her arms tonight, but the thoughts of her and Carrington keep replaying in my mind. I can't unsee the kiss no matter how much I wish I could. I can't stop spiraling from the kiss to thinking about them having sex and Emily showering her with her love and attention.
Carrington is a woman and I am just a kid. I'm just 18 and still live with my mom. I can't support myself on my tutoring wages. I wouldn't be surprised if Emily did leave me to go back to Carrington or for someone else for that matter.
I hope she doesn't ever leave, because I really really like her. I want nothing more than to be with her in every way possible.
My phone buzzed and I opened it to a picture of her in bed. Her in a white tank top. Her lips parted. Her nipple almost exposed.
The message under it read "wish you were here. this bed feels so empty without you"
I couldn't respond. I froze. She looked sexy. I just want to go over to her place right now and kiss all over her.
My phone buzzed again and said "I can't stop thinking about you"
My heart was racing. I picked up my phone and typed "I miss you so much. Tomorrow?"
I pressed send and within moments she responded.
"Yes please"
If Dakota wasn't here, I'd leave without hesitation. But Dakota is here and I haven't seen her in a while. I need to cool down and just go to sleep.