sixty

May 5, 2019 - May 6, 2019

I was asleep in Emily's arms when I was woken to her phone ringing. Refusing to open my eyes, I listened to her conversation, to her voice.

"Hello?" She spoke softly, her fingertips playing with my hairline.

"She's sleeping, she's okay." Her voice was soothing. Between her talking and playing with my hair, I found it nearly impossible to stay awake, but I fought it. I wanted to know who she was talking to and why they were asking about me.

"You did?" Her voice grew louder, "Are you okay? Where are you?"

"The hospital? Okay, good. Yes, I'll wake her up and head down there now." Her voice laced with excitement. Something's happening, something good.

"Lain." Emily whispered.

"Hm?" I hummed, my eyes still closed.

"Wake up." I could hear the smile on her lips.

She kissed my temple multiple times, before repeating, "Wake up."

I opened my eyes to look at her and smiled when I locked eyes with her beautiful orbs. My breath stopped. She's perfect. I couldn't fight the urge to touch her face, so I allowed my fingers to gently trace the shape of her cheek.

"Victoria is having the baby." She smiled as she grabbed my hand.

"Really?" I asked, matching her smile.

"Yes, come on. She's already at a seven and going quick." She said as she sat up.

"I need to change first." I got out of bed.

"You look beautiful already." She argued.

"I don't want to meet the baby in the same dress that I buried my mom in." I said.

"Right, okay." She nodded, then glanced down at her own body. "Good idea."

Once both of us changed, we were off to the hospital. This time, the hospital didn't seem too bad. The gut wrenching feeling I used to get is no longer here, there's only excitement.

It wasn't until twelve forty-five that they called us back. It was no longer my mom's funeral day. The baby didn't have to share the sad day.

Once led to her room, Emily and I carefully entered. Guidry looked exhausted.

"Hey girls, I'm Debra, Vicky's mom. Vicky told me to be expecting you." The older woman greeted us.

"Hi." I smiled at her, the glanced back to Guidry and the tiny bundle of pink that laid in her arms. It's really a girl. I smiled wider.

"Go on, you can go see her." Debra told me after she had me sanitize my hands.

I carefully neared the bed and looked down at the small baby. She was sleeping.

"Hi, baby." I whispered.

"Do you want to hold her?" Guidry smiled at me, tiredly. The wires hooked to her looked daunting, but she seemed happier than ever.

I nodded quickly.

"Sit." She instructed.

I obeyed and allowed her to lay the baby in my arms. She was so fragile, so tiny. I instantly felt my heart warm up as I cradled the small thing.

"Want to know her official name?" Guidry smiled.

"Yes." I whispered.

"Piper Elaine Guidry." She spoke with a permanent smile plastered to her tired face.