CHAPTER 74 - MEMORIAL

"We have lost many people over these years. Fathers, sons, daughters, sisters, brothers and many others." Father said as he stood in front everyone as they sat down to look at the front of the ballroom.

Everyone looked around as my father wore his old army uniform, the one from his grandfather who fought in the wars before to save the monasteries. Those wars were never given names, instead everyone knew that every time there was a new monastery or leader- there was always a war along with it.

"This is the first time in history. May there never be another war again." Adam said as he tugged at his collar, he was dressed the same way as most of the men on stage, including my father.

The others, like me, were in dresses and suits instead of military uniform, watching the waiters as they passed with trays of champagne and soft drinks for the kids

"My father died fighting for us. And I'm sure that your families and friends too have lost people close to them." Adam continued until our eyes met as I grabbed onto the pieces of paper that rested on my lap as we smiled at each other.

I love the man in front of me. He has and always will support me- tell me when I'm wrong and will get hot headed whenever he's annoyed. But I love that about him- he's isn't perfect nor am I. I want to give back what he has given me and that is what no one else has been able to do in a way like him.

I walked up next to Adam, everyone looked at us as I could feel my sapphire blue dress slide against my skin. Unlike the old tracksuit I wore the whole time we were finding my father, this had a completely different feel to it. A part of me felt uncomfortable at the feeling of such soft material. I almost missed the rugged, sweaty, ripped and bloody tracksuit.

I smiled for a moment before fiddling with my necklace.

"To treasure those who fought for this moment, write their names in that box over there." I said as I pointed at the metal box in the corner before handing Hannah and Tracy the papers that were in my hands as they stood in front of us.

My heart sank as I saw the way how Tracy's knuckles had turned white as she clenched onto the wheel. Hannah looked at me and then at Julie and then glanced away at the floor before kicking at the floor as if there was some dirt on it.

Sighing, I felt a familiar hand rubbing my shoulder as I turned around and saw Adam there as I expected. The sounds of rustling, commotion and people talking all soon faded away as everyone began passing their notes to the last person on their row. They got up from each row and placed all of the notes into the box before sitting down again.

"For now, we will host a tribute to one of the most important people in this war." My father said as he looked at Grant in his suit, he looked away at Tracy as he rubbed his clean chin. Who thought that shaving a beard clean would change what age someone looked this dramatically.

"Grant's son is one story to tell." Adam said as he began to explain everything that happened with him and the events that led up to the fire.

"I'd like to think that those we have lost have made sacrifices as such. That is why we are standing here today. Thank you." I said as I pointed at the sky, "They are watching us from afar, we have to make them proud. Live the life they would've wanted to and a life that they would've wanted to see us live."

Eagle got up from his seat and Julie followed suit. We looked at them with our eyebrows raised before I felt Adam's hand in mine.

"Now onto the drinks!" Eagle shouted as he wrapped his arm around Julie as she laughed.

Everyone got up and started to stack all of the chairs into the corner in a rush. It was the first time I had seen and heard so much laughter and enjoyment with such a simple action.

Hannah watched them for a moment before grinning at Adam as I caught him staring. My heart raced slightly as I searched for Georigie in her wheelchair. It was too soon to get her walking again but for now- this is enough.

I had to scan all over the crowd of people to find Georgie and when I did I could barely recognise the girl I had first met at the front of town with all of the gang dressed in white and Tracy being there with Eagle. Smiling, I pulled Adam towards me as I rushed towards Georgie as she smiled in her emerald dress- the same one I remember having when I was a child.

Not long after, a woman in a black, sparkly dress stood in front of Georgie. Her brown, hazelnut hair was up to her shoulders as I watched her twirl a strand of her hair. I recognized her straight away when a man in a black suit stood next to her, arm wrapped around her.

"Anna- you're here?" I said as I extend my hand.

Adam chuckled as he let go of me and headed for the man and gave him a fist bump.

"I'm glad you kept your promise to fix this."Anna said as she looked at Georgie and smiled before kneeling down to meet her at eye level, "It's really nice to meet you. I hope we can be friends."

The man smiled as he scruffed up her hair just like Adam does before running his fingers through his auburn brownish hair, my heart pounded as Georgie gave out the biggest smile ever.

"Sure!" Georgie said as she ran her fingers through her hair.

A part of me wondered what they've been doing since all of this started- for now though, I silenced them as I knew that we'd get the answers one day. But today isn't the day.

"We better have a chat with your mother and Ryan,"Anna muttered as she let go of her husband and grabbed me by the arm, "we'll see you guys in a bit."

Adam and Anna's husband waved at us as Georgie started to talk to Julie, I waved back as Anna smiled at me. It felt strange seeing Anna again- I couldn't quite pinpoint what I was feeling. After all, we promised to stay friends no matter what. Even if she did anything like that. Though- I can see how much she has changed. No need to rain on anyone's parade. Hopefully, she'll do the same for me.

We left the ballroom and headed outside of the house and headed past the water fountain in the garden and approached the building that I feared to go to the most.

The prisons.