CHAPTER 71 - LOVED

CHAPTER 71 - LOVED

"Dad, what made you fall in love with mom?" I asked as I sat in-between them on the bench as we watched the water fountain in our garden.

My mother smiled to herself as she looked away, her cheeks stained pink. Either from her makeup or from feeling flustered- I couldn't tell.

"Well-" Father said before coughing, "she's a very beautiful person. Caring, compassionate, a little overprotective here and there."

Alex playfully punched father's shoulder as they both laughed. I noticed how she had a dimple on the right side of her mouth as she smiled at him.

"You know when you're in love when you can feel calm around them, Dani. If you don't feel calm or at peace with them- it's not love." She said as she tugged at my dress, making sure it wasn't creased as she looked away for a moment.

"And also, love doesn't mean you have to make sacrifices or change yourself. What I mean is, you comprise and make good memories." Father said softly as he ruffled my hair up.

Love seems to be a hard thing to find or to feel with someone else. We could confuse it with another emotion, another feeling that will fleet away within time. Growing old and growing up and changing mean more than simple things like someone's appearance. Is that what father means?

"How did you meet your mother? And why do you love father?" I asked them both as they smiled at me while his arm rested around her.

"We met when we were at university. Somehow, we both were partnered together for a project. I did business and your mother specialised in accounting." Father said as he looked at me.

"I love your father for his kindness and honesty. He's not afraid to tell me when I'm wrong." She answered as she picked at one of the bluebells and placed it in my hair.

Before I could ask any more questions, my favorite maid walked towards us. Mother frowned for a moment until I turned around to look at her.

"Dear, Julie's here. You want to go and play with her? Your mother and I have some meetings today." My father said softly as he watched the maid take me away.

A part of me wondered if they still felt the same about each other after all of these years. And then, images in my mind flooded in of the time where everything was 'perfect'. There were no obvious rows, hate, lies or any chaos like there is now. Back then, it was peaceful.

However, that was only due to my obviousness of the problems and suffering that everyone else had to endure because of the colonies, gangs and lack of money or education.

A few hours had passed and the sun was finally starting to show itself as I tapped away at the car seat in front of me as I sat in the back with my father. Father's old driver was in the driver's seat with his window down and shadows on. Not looking once in our direction as he focused on the road and whatever the radio presenter had to say.

In the meantime, me and father talked about everything that he had missed. the town massacre, mothers new deals, breaking up Anna and Frances dying. He was out of the picture for a while. In fact, father was at his house in the colony when Frances died. Did my mother and him not like each other anymore? Is that why they lived away from each other? No of course not, they had a business project to fulfil. Ever since I was a child and that was complete prosperity.

Thing is father soon realised the suffering that everyone was going through back at the old colony and tried to help everyone as best as he could- until it was destroyed. By him and the Rioters. Are they the same?