CHAPTER 2 - NEW TIMES PT.2

A Few Weeks Later
24 days later

After having all the therapy needed to adjust to my new ever changed world, it still couldn't prepare me to phone the man that saved me. My 'saviour' is a stranger. For all I know, he could be a serial killer, a murderer, a rapist, a drug addict or just a normal person. It helps when you don't remember anything.

I want to remember because it's frustrating not being able to remember a thing about myself. Instead, I am given information that I'm supposed to blindly believe. For all I know, I could be putting all my faith in lies.

It took two weeks for me to be able to walk properly using crutches, the nurses had taken off all of my bandages except one.

The one on my cheek, since they told me to do it myself as I would not feel any additional shock. So, here I stand, facing the bathroom mirror with a pair of scissors in my hand and part of the bandage in the other.

Once I had finally gained the courage to take off the bandages, I couldn't help but trace the scar that was left there. The only thing left to remind me of my pain as everything else was lost after I was 'found' on a motorway (which I find very hard to believe). My long forgotten memories. That's what this scar is.

Someone's footsteps could be heard as they entered the bathroom, I turned around to see a man in blue. My heart raced in fear as I tried to decide if I knew them before I lost my memories, even though I know it's hopeless.

"You are?" I asked before dropping my scissors and my bandages onto the floor to approach him.

He smiled before looking away.

"You really don't remember me," He muttered as if he were speaking mainly to himself and not me, "I'm Adam. We used to be friends." I looked at him for a moment before nodding.

Shaking my head, I tried hardest to remember him like before to no avail as I grabbed my forehead and almost fell onto the floor. Before any real damage was done, Adam grabbed ahold of me, steadying me up.

For what seemed to be a moment, a flash of worry was on his face before he chuckled.

"Be careful. You don't wanna stress yourself out like always- nevermind." He muttered as he moved his hands from my shoulders to his pockets, keeping enough distance for me to be comfortable and enough for him to not be hurt.

Looking away for a moment, I limped slowly to the chair nearby. I still was not used to walking or standing up for long periods of time, and yet a part of me feels as if I was the complete opposite.

He also sat opposite me.

"I- Thank you... I'm sorry to say this but I really don't know you anymore." I muttered before propping my elbows onto my knees and covering my face with my hands.

I heard him shift from his seat and before I knew it, I was looking at straight at him. He removed my hands from my face carefully as they were covered in bruises before smiling at me.

"It's fine, so don't worry about it." He said as I laughed for the first time after I woke up.

Smiling, I looked at him with a new-found curiousity.

"Were you the one who paid for my medical bills?" I asked before putting my hands in my pockets.

He shook his head as a response.

"I have no idea who was paying it, to be honest." He muttered, "I didn't think about it." Getting up, I looked at him.

"But the doctor said-" I said.

He frowned before responding bitterly.

"The doctors doesn't know." He said before I continued to meet his stare as I walked up to him.

"Let me talk. The doctor said that this phone number is the person who paid for it." I said while handing him the paper.

He sighed and grabbed my hand softly.

"Do you want to find out who it is?"

I nodded. If I didn't, I would have no idea of where to start to regain the memories that I have lost. This time, I won't let things wash over me, that's if I did that before I lost my memories.

"Then gain your strength and we'll find out, okay?" He said, "You're not well enough, it's been a year. Things have changed and that number might not be what you think it is."

I looked up at him, sightly confused.

"Why couldn't we just phone them and go to the address like normal people?" I asked, knowing that there is still a lot of things that my therapy did not tell me about. He glanced at me before looking outside the window.

"The phone number is fake, it's probably code for something else. The world is different from how it used to be. Anywhere you go, there's at least a liar and a killer in the same room."

"No one can be trusted, not even your savior since they could be anyone. The fact that they had the amount of money to treat you, that could only mean bad things since nobody can be that rich anymore- unless..."

"Anyway, I don't want to bombard you with information too soon, we don't want you falling again." He said before leaning against the white hospital wall next to the window.

Interrupting our conversation, a nurse walked in to tell Adam that the visiting times are up.

The only thing that was on my mind was how I was still unaware about the world with how it works as he spoke to the nurse and asked for a bit more time.

"Will you get stronger before that?" He asked turning towards me once the nurse had left.

I nodded, thinking that he may actually like the nurse more than me and all of this was a cruel joke.

Shaking my head, thinking that it would help get rid of my unnecessary and off-topic thoughts.

"I will do anything." I muttered before he hugged me.

I decided that I couldn't lie to him, he was my only hope of getting out of the hospital. He looked at me and then my cheek along with my other injuries that haven't faded away since I got up. The doctors said that they had to do a lot of surgeries to ensure that I survived the fall.

"Don't get hurt again." He muttered.

Without missing a second, I responded instantly before pulling him out of the hug to hold his hand carefully as they were also covered in cuts, burns and bruises like my own.

"I'll do anything to find out, they might know who was there when I fell and what happened to me. So I'll do anything even if it kills me." I whispered.

He smiled as I said those words, until the last bit where a flash of realisation was on his face.

"You won't be going alone, you know?" Adam laughed before continuing, "I'll be with you."

"I know, I'm well aware, Adam. Just- don't get hurt either. I don't wanna pick up your mess or be the one to blame if you get hurt." I replied as I looked away in regret before continuing, "Don't you die on me." I said in a half joking and half threatening tone.

"I won't, I promise." He said before the staff finally took him away from me, leaving me alone.