CHAPTER 22 - LEADS

CHAPTER 22 - LEADS

For what seemed like forever, I could finally walk again. The fight took a great toll on my body so with the help of everyone else, I was able to recover faster than fending for myself if they came back to finish their job.

They didn't complete their contract. No- they wouldn't. That's not the way how Hoyt would want it if he realised that I had people that meant so much to me.

No. Hoyt simply will kill off anyone who is seen with me so that I will eventually be left with nothing. A liar and a killer in the same room, for some reason, it all started to make sense. I was a liar and Adam and I were both killers. He wouldn't have any secrets, right? What if he did? 

I snapped back into reality as I thought of Eagle, Grant and Georgie. They're going to stick their necks out for me even if it means that they will get hurt. I don't want that- I can't let that happen. This journey, this goal of mine can only be achieved on my own. But before that, i will need to be able to fend for myself and not die before i find out everything.

It’s a slow process, that's for sure but now I am more determined than ever to fight my way to find the person who saved me, Hoyt, saving Adam and confronting my mother for not helping anyone but herself.

Those are my goals and I will get my revenge. This town's sacrifice will not go in vain nor will anyone else who will die in order for me to remember my past. This is my destiny and I can't escape it. 

I sat up on the edge of my bed, trying to change my dirty bandages. The shirt I borrowed from Eagle remained on the floor as I sat with my back facing the door. Ever since that day, I couldn't stop thinking about Adam.

The time we first met when I was taking off my bandages, the times he snuck into my room, the time when he got angry at Doctor Franc, the time when I ran into him when I was trying to find Julie and when he hugged me in the garden as I was crying. All of it stuck with me and I was glad that my short-term memory wasn't affected by the accident. I’m glad that I can keep those memories.

No matter how hard I tried, I couldn't stop thinking that he was gone and that was my worst fear. Nothing could change that. Not even the promises we made to not leave each other.

Maybe, just maybe these broken promises will be renewed and the shattered memory of mine will be sewn together. I’m living two lives, the fight for the old me and living in the present.

It’s as if I am ripped fabric that needs to be sewn back together. Chasing the past, the lost memories. I can't live my life with these broken seams, can I? I will never be me- I will never be Danielle. And that is why I can't stop this.

Grant and Eagle knocked on the door as I started to button up my shirt, as usual they walked in with their tray of food and placed it next to me. I turned around to face them as Georgie rushed in too with her cute smile that gave me hope that my memories will return. 

“Bars finally cleaned.” Eagle said before sighing and sitting down on the table. 

"We're leaving now, right?" Grant said as he tapped his fingers against the wall.

"Let's go. Have you got everything, Georgie?" I muttered as I ran my fingers through my hair.

"I don't have anything." 

"I'll let you borrow some of my clothes, how does that sound?"

She nodded as I thought about the dress that she kept wearing and how dirty it was. My throat became dry as I remembered how I had everything when I was younger. I want Georgie to be the same but I don't think I can help her, can I?

When we left the bar, Grant locked the door to his bar. I couldn't help but think that he has more things than that secret room. He's hiding something else too, but what? After all, the Rioters could easily break the windows to get in or knock down the door like they did before. I've seen what they're capable of and that alone was enough to convince me that Grant had no idea how awful they truly were. They haven't seen everything. I have but I can't remember and that was more damaging than not knowing.

We returned to the Fireplace by using the Rusty ladder again. Once we entered the main room, all of us dropped our bags onto the floor with a loud thud since we were tired of walking. Everyone except Georgie.

"There's a training area outside, you've probably seen it before with Adam." Eagle said as he say in his corner.

Georgie looked at the books and took one out to read while Grant stood in awe of the paintings before sitting down.

"The one with the waterfall?" I asked, Eagle raised his eyebrow.

Grant chuckled before reading to Georgie since she couldn't read.

"Nah, that's not the place." Eagle said before grinning, "that's probably Adam's way of trying to get a date spot for you two."

Georgie turned around and giggled, Grant glared at Eagle but soon smiled. I looked at them all, my heart beater faster as I shook my head. He's gone.

"It was a shortcut Eagle, Adam would never do that." I said as I sat down on the floor, feeling an intense ache in my back from the fight.

"If only you knew the things he's done for you." Grant muttered as we all looked at him in confusion.

What does that mean? Adam hasn't told me everything, does that make him a liar? I rubbed my knuckles as I thought to myself for a while. Everything was silent as we all started to do our own thing, finally trying to adjust to our new home.

Since everything was silent, I knew that we could hear the sound of footsteps near the door. Georgie shuffled in her seat uncomfortably as we all feared the worst.

Eagles manager barged in with sweat dripping down her face.

"You lot, there's something I need to tell you." She said, "I have a lead on where Adam could be."