CHAPTER 26 - PRETENDING

"Ryan, where's your brother?" I muttered as he opened his car door for me and then sat in the driver's seat.

"No idea, the locket is the only thing I have left." He said.

We looked at each other as he removed my sunglasses.

"Can't you have someone look for him? You're rich enough, aren't you?" I said, watching the birds in the distance.

He looked at me for a while before turning the radio on after starting his car. I didn't want to say anything, nothing. Ryan's been trying to find his brother for four years. Why hasn't he found him yet?

"Yes, I can but people will think that I killed him." He said, before changing the radio station.

"Have you? That's a bit much." I sneered.

"No- why would I want to do that?" Ryan answered before frowning, "Have you heard from him?"

I shook my head, he sighed as he turned the wheel.

"I've been told where he could be, I can't go there on my own." I said as I looked outside at the clear sky.

"Oh, where is it?" He asked before looking at me.

"Near the West Bridge Zone." I muttered.

"We'll go there tomorrow at noon." He said, never once looking away from the wheel as he said those words.

We didn't say much after that, it was all just small talk as he became more and more concentrated as he continued to drive. I listened to the radio- my favorite song came on as I thought about how Adam and I trained before with Tracy.

"Here's the truth." Ryan said as he looked at me, "Hoyt is my brother and I need to find him."

"Are you asking for a death sentence?" I shouted at him before pointing at him, "well?"

"No, he'll die for his sins and so will anyone else who gets in my way." He said as he frowned, making me feel sick to the core.

"Don't talk to me ever again- don't do it." I said before holding his hand for a moment, that action alone made me feel uncomfortable.

"You won't stop me." Ryan said as he pulled a wicked face as if he's used to killing people. Just who am I friends with?

"Stop the car, Ryan." I said before crossing my arms.

He stared at me before he stopped his car and turned the radio off.

"I was joking! I'll phone you if I find out where he actually is, alright? Hoyt killed your dad, remember? My brother could never do that" He said as he leaned close to me, I smiled before kissing his cheek and running out of the car. I couldn't love him, it was all an act.

"I'll consider it, I don't want to be around her- she'll nag about my suitors or Anna." I said before putting my sunglasses on so he wouldn't know that I was repulsed by him- he was my fiancee. I can't go against my mum just yet.

"Alright," He said before grinning before putting his car window down, "Love you."

"You too." I lied, thinking about the horrible things he's done and then the things he's done to me.

I could never forget that. Even if my mum makes me get married to that fool.

Once I woke up, I couldn't get that dream out of my head? Was it a dream or was it a memory? I could never know but I'll find out. Did Hoyt really kill my father? Who was my father? I don't remember anything. Just why would Hoyt do that? Surely, there was a reason for that and why no one else talked about him. Maybe, just maybe, Julie will have answers.