CHAPTER 13 - PRESERVED JUSTICE

A Few Seconds Later
5 seconds later

"You're not welcome here." The woman stated before she pointed her finger at me as if I were some kind of parasite and not a human.

Raising my eyebrows, I returned her glare as I looked up and down. Everyone around seemed to have turned to stone. Seriously, she's not Medusa. 

In fact, a woman like her won't stop me from being here. What power and authority does she hold over me? 

None. Absolutely none. Or so I'd like to believe. 

"I- Your worries are also mine. Please let me to stay so that I can see what happens here." I said while looking at her and then the people surrounding us. 

"Pfft. Sure, that's what you rich kids say before taking our supplies." She huffed.

Georgie stood next to me as she tugged my sleeve.

"But- nobody's been here since the fire." She muttered.

"Shut up." The woman hissed, causing my blood to boil as I thought about how people treated Georgie badly.

Grabbing Georgie's hand, she looked up at me but didn't cry. I looked at the woman before turning around. 

I didn't know how to respond when Georgie didn't cry, it was astounding to see such a small child not have a break down while getting shouted at or living like this.

"Don't talk to Georgie like that." I said before Max's eyes met mine, "I'll talk to you later, finish your 'work'. In the meantime, we'll find Adam." 

He nodded before Georgie and I headed away from the group. She still clung onto my hand, but eventually let go of it when we walked past a tree.

"Where would Adam usually go?" I asked as she fiddled with her thumbs.

"The Frey." She replied hesitatingly, the wind brushed her blonde hair away from her face to reveal a ghastly scar on her forehead.

I made a face as I looked around for a while. The sky was as clear as ever, it would have been peaceful to be here if it weren't for the pungent stench that concealed the beauty of this place. It was a mixture of sweat, rotting, decay and urine. Even so, only a few birds remain as there were more and more rats within the sewage systems.

My thoughts we interrupted as I heard Georgie coughing. Right. There's illnesses here too. We need to find Adam and then Grant. The Frey. Just where is it?

Georgie tugged on my sleeve as rustling could be heard in the distance next to a bush. We watched for a moment before a dog limped out with one of it's broken legs. It's fur was supposed to be golden but the dirt and pollution caused it to become much darker.

As George moved behind me and clung onto the back of my shirt, I noticed how she peeked from my back to look at the dog. It's eyes glimmered whenever she'd look at her and her tail continuously wagged even though it was in pain.

We didn't have enough time to exchange any words as the dog headed away to the rest of the villagers. Georgie facial expression dimmed slightly once the dog finally left. 

"Please take me to the Frey." I said softly before putting my hands in my pockets as she let go of my leg to stand beside me.

Georgie looked away for a moment, "Okay." She said, once she had looked at the people passing by on the dry, muddy path.

---

Once we arrived at the Frey, I noticed how the building was fairly quaint and had leaves growing either side of it like an unkept and unmaintained property- which seemed to be the case. 

I headed up the concrete stairs with Georgie beside me before grabbing the broken handle and pulling it down, trying my hardest to not break it.

Even though I tried my hardest to not break the handle, once I had opened the door, the flimsy handle fell off and remained in my hand.

Georgie looked at me before covering her mouth, trying to suppress her laughter. 

Smiling, I held the handle on my hand and pushed the door open with my foot. 

Afterwards, Georgie ran into the pitch black room with no care in the world. Unlike her, I glanced around before chasing after her.

"Adam!" She exclamied after jumping around the ripped sofa which could barely be seen in the darkness.

I listened to her light footsteps to find a way through the living room, I could no longer see her.

"Follow the rope! It's on the floor." Georgie said from a distance.

Crouching into the floor, I patted around the ground trying to find the rope. Once I felt the texture of the rope, I grabbed ahold of it and moved forward towards the door.

Not long after, the sound of Georgie laughing echoed in the room and before I knew it the lights turned on. 

After the laughing subsided, I blinked a few times to adjust to the light. A nauseating smell overwhelmed me, instantly making me want to throw up. All of that stopped when I looked at the door in front of me.

I turned around, taking everything in. The broken glass, the graffiti all over the walls, the plainness of room and the multiple bags of rubbish scattered around the place was a sight to see. I thought about how disgusting it was and how a cleanup was needed for the place. 

Georgie rushed out of the door and looked at me with a grin. Did she not know about the lights? Who turned them on?

"I don't know where he is." She said before looking at the floor and accidentally kicking a mouse that went past. 

Her face showed her regret instantly, she turned away instantly to face the door. I watched her for a few moments until a silhoutee appeared near the door. My skin grew cold as I remembered a memory.

It was dark. Dark enough to hide everything that remains in sight. Everything apart from the shadows that surrounded me- the instructors. The ones who- lied.

Even that couldn't find me as I tightened my grip on the wrench I had in my hand. This training will be enough. Once it's over, I'll-

Just what was that? What was I doing?

"Dani.Hey." Someone said before approaching me, he grabbed me by the shoulders.

Sweat dripped from my forehead as tears streamed down my face. My vision blurred for a moment until he touched my cheek.

Looking up, I saw Adam and Georgie. Adam furrowed his brow slightly and Georgie remained motionless as I tried to fake a smile. 

"You're finally here." He muttered before looking away.