CHAPTER 59 - CAVE

CHAPTER 59 - CAVE

I looked around and I realised how I was back in my father's house. My heart raced as I tried to make it to the stairs- I need to get my father. He needs to be here. Is he still here? He has to be.

"If you don't come, I'll kill Hannah for disobeying orders." Ryan said as he revealed his mask, "And you've finally realized who Hoyt is- took you awhile."

Ryan waved his gun at me before smirking.

"Why would you kill Hannah?" I asked as I approached him, feeling my heart race a thousand miles per hour.

I breathed in slowly as he pressed the gun to my forehead, finger away from the trigger.

"You know why- she shouldn't question me." Ryan said with a grin as he kicked at the floor.

"She knows you've killed my father." I muttered as I looked at him before pushing the gun away from my face.

He sighed as he ran his fingers through his hair before looking at his men and nodding.

"Burn them." He said as he pointed at me, "colony makers don't deserve to live."

"What about Hoyt?" I asked as I tried to reach out to him but instead, his men grabbed me and threw me outside of the house.

"Hoyt won't care- less evidence to deal with." He said as his men poured gasoline over the place.

"I love him- I wish I didn't." I muttered as I watched my father burn alive again.

This time, I heard the men laugh at what I said until everything faded to black.

The sound of rain falling was the first thing I heard as I woke up from my dream. Not long after it was followed by the sound of roaring thunder.

Looking around for any source of light, I realised that the trap door led us here. We were in a cave. The events from before rushed in my head as I could still feel Adams arms around me even though he wasn't here. I thought about how his eyes looked when I had a knife against his throat. Even till the end, he tried to protect me from Ryan, right? Or was this his selfish whim to kill me first?

Am I alone here?

Hannah left as soon as she saw Ryan and Adam came with the Rioters... Wait, why did he knock Ryan out? Was it to save Hannah? After all, he was planning on killing her for disobeying orders but would he really do that if he was Hoyt? Don't they share the same goals? I need answers.

I noticed Adam was sitting near the fire with his hands covering his face. My legs and my back ached, I watched Adam ring out the water from his shirt as blood trickled down his back. He was breathing in heavily as he crawled towards the end of the cave, leaning against it, while breathing in heavily.

Even though I didn't want to help or associate with him, I couldn't help but make my way towards him as he started shaking. My heart pounded as I thought of the worst. He might attack me. Is that why he stayed away from me until we fell. He buried his face in his knees until I sighed and stroked his hair with my fingers.

I had no idea what I was doing, Adam looked up at me before removing my hand from his hair gently. He was still terrified of the dark. My blood boiled as I remembered how I found him, broken and bruised that day. This would never change. I wish he was never kidnapped.

My heart raced as he held my hand before his knee was rocking up and down in a constant motion. I knew that he couldn't get those images out of his head- what happened to him. What Ryan did to him. But that doesn't change the fact that he's Hoyt. Then again, it doesn't change anything since he's helped me so much- even if it was for bad reasons or intentions.

"That bitch." He muttered as he looked at me, "she did this on purpose- I can't stay here."

"I know." I said with a broken voice, "you're a liar."

"No, I'm not. Dani please- not now. You've got to believe me."

I stayed silent as I sat on my knees before wrapping my arms around him. Why am I doing this? Adam grabbed a fistful of my jacket as he continued to shake and cry. I heard him breath in deeply when I ran my fingers at the back of his neck, remembering everything that we had done together. I was battling my emotions. I didn't want to or need to. I should trust him but I can't.

"I want to believe you- I can't." I muttered, voicing out my thoughts as I let go of him and looked away.

"I'll explain. Just help me out here." He said as I grabbed his hand and pulled him towards me.

Sighing, I helped him up to get outside of the cave. A place where he wouldn't feel threatened or unsafe by the memories that haunt him daily. How can he sleep at night? And why did I care for him? Why do I always complicate things?

Shaking my head, I turned away as I let go of him. I watched him lean against the entrance, waiting for me to say something. Truth is, I had no idea what to say. I let all of my emotions boil over- I should have asked him about this before we got into this mess. Maybe he would have listened and maybe we wouldn't be going through this right now. This was in many ways- everything that I had bottled up since I had woken up.

"You killed my father and that town. Why?" I sneered as I covered my eyes from the light.

I noticed how the clouds had disappeared and the rain had stopped. All that was left was the few droplets of rain that trickled down Adam's face from the rocks.

"No I didn't!" Adam said as he grabbed me by the shoulders. "It was Ryan. Don't you remember? I tried to save you that night but you ran away."

My blood boiled as I looked back on the events that happened before my accident.

"Ryan told me you'd be here, dear." He muttered under his breath as I watched the water vapour escape his lips each time he spoke.

I knocked his hand away from me and watched the knife as it flew out of his hand and landed onto the floor. This time, I must escape once and for all. My hand patted on the floor in search of anything to use against him.

I grabbed a rock near the tree and threw it at his face before punching him in the nose.

"You won't get me that easily." I mused, "Trying to attack a girl while she's already down. How pitiful." I continued as Adam held his nose as it started to bleed.

"Wait! No! Don't- they'll find you." Hoyt said as he tried to hold me back.

"You're Hoyt! Why should I trust you? You kill people!" I said as I made a run for it.

I heard the sounds of multiple footsteps and shouting from the forest echo in my ears. I turned my head around to see flashlights around the forest and the Rioters dressed in all black running towards me.

"Find her!" One of them said, I didn't turn around. I didn't want to see who it was.

"No you didn't. You tried to kill me." I said, even though I was remembering more and more about the accident.

He wasn't lying but it wasn't the truth either. And with that, I couldn't trust him.

"I was acting." Adam muttered under his breath.

"Adam!" I said before watching the flock of birds flying away.

"Fine. I'll tell you everything." He said before sighing, "you have to trust me. Otherise, you'll get killed."